Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Type 3 front sway bar ? (in my opinion)
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Ultimate Type 3 front sway bar ? (in my opinion) Reply with quote

Been working this one out for a looong time. have finally carried it out. now back on car but no road test (so don't ask ! Laughing )

Thought it was time to share Wink

In conjunction with improving my coil over setup, I revisited my sway bar arrangement and have come up with this, I'll let the pictures talk.

In summary, it is an unmodified 944 19mm front sway bar (looks like it was made for the type 3?) with 944 bushes and clamps (to beam), golf mk2 drop links (to lower trailing arms) with extended bolts. Holes drilled in lower arms where bump stops would of contacted, area underneath this are fill welded.

Wanted it to look like it was meant to be there (factory?) Not a 'bolt-on' mod but I am pleased with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clean install. I look forward to hearing how it works for you. A 19mm bar is a nice fit for a car of this weight; that should really improve cornering and overall road handling.

For those not keen about cutting their beam stops off, do you think it's possible to mount it up-side-down so that the bar fits under the lower torsion arms rather than above??

again, very, very clean install. The way you executed the install, it definitely looks like it was made for it. Wink

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Chino_UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That almost looks like it's a factory install, nice work Smile
Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.... look more 'factory' now? Laughing

Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same. now it is on the car I reckon it is possible to flip the bar, bit like they do on the 944 it came off (see below).

Yes 19mm, seems thin compared to others available on the 944 as below. but this coupled with the stock one still in place is ideal IMO.

The bar is set up for the expected geometry of my front suspension at ride height. if any adjustment was needed it would be the fixing to the front beam clamps, this could be done with extending the mounting plates as necessary.

Nate M. wrote:
Very clean install. I look forward to hearing how it works for you. A 19mm bar is a nice fit for a car of this weight; that should really improve cornering and overall road handling.

For those not keen about cutting their beam stops off, do you think it's possible to mount it up-side-down so that the bar fits under the lower torsion arms rather than above??

again, very, very clean install. The way you executed the install, it definitely looks like it was made for it. Wink

Last edited by Angelo Amato on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the factory torsions installed. Not trying to discourage because is a very clean install. But what are you accomplishing other than have a fancier stiffer shock. Its not really a true coilover suspension unless that shock is your suspension. Not to say that I would feel good about the whole car being supported by the small bottom shock stud. I'm not judging your work though its a very well done job and I love the sway bar idea.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
More if my wife would let me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on bottom and top stock mounts hence the mods.

Is a true coilover setup...no torsion bars...same on rear

Might explain the coil overs...

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really respect a guy with a well thought out plan, a sawzall and a welder who is not afraid to use them. Wink

While I've not seen this car in person, Angelo has created a really well engineered and beautifully executed ride that is stunning in its details and totally unique. That's really the goal of every car guy out there.

My hat's off to you Angelo!! Cool

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant agree more. I was just saying if you were going for a modern car set up that has a strut suspension with adjustable coilovers then you would have to either round off the splines on the inside so the torsion bar would just be there to keep the arms together and the suspension would be dependant on the strut and coil. I have used the coilover shocks to lift a bus up a little or make the back of a Baja stiffer. I think you have definitely done a exceptional job. Just was simply trying to understand what you were going for. Meant absolutely no disrespect.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry in advance for my misunderstanding your setup, but I can't picture how you removed the torsion bars?? It looks like you cut off inner end of the torsion bar and slipped on a rod that is the same diameter as the inner spline? Correct?

I've been meaning to do this, but got other things I need to work on first. =(
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for a late reply, I have actually been working on the car which is rare!

Glad of all the comments. Happy to share the info for others, that's what we are all here for Wink

The original post was for the sway bar but I should of explained myself more on the full setup but prefer pictures to words!

As a bit of background, the car is running Spax adjustable coil overs front and rear. Adjustable ride height/springs/damping.

The front torsion bars have been removed and replaced with solid bars and free spinning ends.

Rear torsion bars also removed and running a uni-ball setup, as pretty common on 'german-lookers' or VW's setup to 'handle'.

So is a genuine coil over set up not assisting the torsion bars Wink

I will post pics of the rear for info, but I'm sure there are pics on the interweb somewhere as I've been at this for some time !!

I completed the car in 2008 and ran it for a year - it drove well with the coilovers, since then free time has been short and I decided to improve the system when I could, including new top and bottom shock mounts as pictured.

Angelo
Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Pic of the prototype rear

Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: another... Reply with quote

vwfanatic67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very cool. Great job.

SBS #74
52 Split Beetle
60 Panel
65 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: