Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

270 degree awning
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottoman308
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

Anyone have a positive/experience with a 270 awning? On a flash deal last week I purchased one. I plan on using it on my tintop. Worst case I'll use on my FJ80. I can't seem to find any photos in the search bars on batwing awnings.

https://ironman4x4america.com/camping/deltawing-xtr-71-270-degree-freestanding-awning/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

I haven't seen one on a Vanagon yet. There's a YouTuber Truck camper that has the 270, and they have it deployed in just about every video, and sometimes they're in really windy coastal conditions.

I've considered the Ironman 8' awning. Looks to be a decent awning priced between the Napa and ARB products.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

I've seen one on Instagram but I can't recall the name....

Edit, Google images found it rapidly:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vanagon+T3+with+aw...Wn1BOdBIuM
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget

Last edited by ALIKA T3 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

$900 seems high, but it IS cool.

I’ve thought of having Jonce Fancher build a custom like this. It’d be under $900 and hurricane-friendly, but if parked facing west one doesn’t need 270 but rather a 90, or maybe two. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

I’ve had a Rhino Rack Batwing on my 4Runner for close to 5 years now and love it. I’ve used it for all sorts of things and never have a problem coming up with an excuse to deploy it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ottoman308
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

They had a really great deal at $599 including the walls, and brackets
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

I tried one on my van, but the pivot point had to be mounted so far back to clear the high top that it left a big part of the slider door uncovered. This was untenable for me. I ended up buying an 11'6" Fiamma F45, which has been fantastic.

On a tin top it might work better since the roof isn't the same profile at the back, especially if mounted to a roof rack.

Robyn
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

^^^That's the exact feedback I've been looking for regarding these units. I've been seeing them in my scroll feeds and was intrigued with installing one on our EV.

As an aside, I'm interested in this option because A: I like the coverage, but also B: because it seems to be a sturdier awning support design than the ARB and the various clones. Our ARB is wearing out all over after about four years and a few dozen deployments.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ottoman308
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

I wanted something that I can deploy solo. I've had an ARB for around 8 years and it's been great, but the walls are a pain to install, and take up more room stored than the Ironman.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

We’re way past Day 1,500 of constant use on our standard Fancher awning that will withstand at least 50 more mph of wind over the cartridge awnings — at about a third of the price. One errant microburst on a calm day can get expensive.

It does finally leak after 20,000 hours in the sun. Super-pissed. Wink Laughing

The guy can make whatever you can measure. I’ve never even asked for a discount, paying twenty cents a day to use is discount enough.

Fancher’s Upholstery, Ypsilante, Michigan:
(734) 483-0549

It does need stakes, and uses these:
https://theclaw.com/

I don’t post our van pics here, Sorry, but will send via email or cell number if you send those via PM.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

Never heard of them.
Look nice in the photos but my first thought is wind.
They look like a sail just waiting to be twisted into trash by a breeze.

Parts of the Country (Dakotas/Montana) are virtual never ending wind tunnels. I cannot even imagine setting it up in such areas.

My daughter says that the Montana State female hair style is the pony tail because of the wind.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

Well, I have not actually used one on my Vanagon but I intend to.

I bought one of these for a camp trailer thing I am building.

https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/Nomadic-Awning-270-Passenger-Side---Dark-Gray-w/Black-Cover

I have walls for it and everything and was super stoked to get it set up on the trailer.
However, I overlooked the fact that the awning is 7 feet long and the box on my camp trailer is only 5 feet long so it would either hang off the back of the trailer 2 feet or I move it forward on the box and it becomes the first thing that punches through the back window of my tow rig if I turn too sharply with the trailer attached.
As an off-road trailer, I was not real happy with either option.

The point of this story is that I bought a smaller 270 awning for the trailer and plan to use the big awning on my tin-top van.

Might be tough to tell in the pic above but the longer awing will actually go all the way to the front of the van.

I feel like the smaller 270 Awnings are going to end in a strange place on a Vanagon.

The longer awning will at least cover the whole sliding door opening.

The walls combined with the longer awning should create a ton of extra living space outside the van that is protected pretty well from the elements.
since I have a tin top this will be nice as I can set up a kitchen and lounge area outside the van where there is more room.
Could even have space for guests to set up some sleeping arrangements and tag along on some trips.
I'm also thinking of getting a little wood-burning stove so I can extend camping season into the colder months.

Pretty pumped to see if it works how I think it's going to and am definitely surprised that more Vanagon people don't use this type of awning.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

Notchboy has one on his baywindow westy. Loves it….

(206) 841 7324
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

Synergy Solutions wrote:
Notchboy has one on his baywindow westy. Loves it….

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

IMO with the big rear hatch and the engine being in the back, the wrap-around awnings not really make sense on a Vanagon.

Those awnings are designed for 4x4 rigs with kitchen on the rear swing door and storage through the side doors. You have all those stuff around the sliding door on a Vanagon.
You will not be around the back unless some repair is needed Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

It’s not my thing either, Zoltan, but mostly because we don’t typically see more than a few hours of rain at a time.

And as much as we all hate to admit it, we do need to access the engine bay sometimes. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

One of the pictures in Alika's link looks like it's showing the batwing going around the FRONT of the vanagon. If that still covers the whole slider and I still had a vanagon, I'd consider that.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
IMO with the big rear hatch and the engine being in the back, the wrap-around awnings not really make sense on a Vanagon.

Those awnings are designed for 4x4 rigs with kitchen on the rear swing door and storage through the side doors. You have all those stuff around the sliding door on a Vanagon.
You will not be around the back unless some repair is needed Smile

Getting one increases the shaded space by 1/3 to 1/2 of most regular pull out awnings is all. Not everyone's cupa. But I tell you what - every time I whip it out, all the ladies want to come and see. 😎🤙🌺

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

Sounds like you’re just a little too proud of your notch.

Wink Laughing Wink

— Colin Chapman
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 270 degree awning Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Getting one increases the shaded space by 1/3 to 1/2 of most regular pull out awnings is all. Not everyone's cupa. But I tell you what - every time I whip it out, all the ladies want to come and see. 😎🤙🌺

But that is not a Vanagon Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: