Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why Are You Looking for the Lowest Price?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
So with everything gone to crap, where can you get good rubber? anywhere? Maybe I should reuse my OG rubber, it does have cracking though.

Go back to Page 2.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are knocking KIA as a crap car. NOT
I own a KIA, maybe not a Reo, but it is still a KIA. I have owned it since new, and have no problems with quality. Mine is a Sorento SUV, and I use it as a tow vehicle for my car trailer. I have put over 60K miles on it so far, and most of that is highway miles.

As for VW's being cheap cars back in their day. I started working for the dealers back n 1964.
All cars back then were sold, basically for $1 a pound. VW's to Cadillac. VW's weighed 1700 lbs, and sold basically for $1700. A Cadillac weighed 4000 lbs, and sold for $4000.
Most of the people we had at the dealers were not poor people. In fact many were quite well to do. They drove VW's because it was their choice, not because the had too. Poor people back then drove junker cars, just like they do now days.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My KIA is a Spectra and I consider it a crappy car. Mechanically it's been alright. But body/ trim/ interior wise, it just oozes cheap. Even though I basically bought it to use as a basic transportation appliance, I've been a little disapointed.

As for VW's. Of course the people at the dealers weren't poor. Someone who buys a new car and takes it to the dealer for service is not poor.

But these were inexpensive cars and the people who bought them knew it. Second hand they were even less expensive and when they got old, downright cheap. Once they got a reputation and a following they held their value pretty well. But the initial price they depreciated from was lower.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
My KIA is a Spectra and I consider it a crappy car. Mechanically it's been alright. But body/ trim/ interior wise, it just oozes cheap. Even though I basically bought it to use as a basic transportation appliance, I've been a little disapointed.

As for VW's. Of course the people at the dealers weren't poor. Someone who buys a new car and takes it to the dealer for service is not poor.

But these were inexpensive cars and the people who bought them knew it. Second hand they were even less expensive and when they got old, downright cheap. Once they got a reputation and a following they held their value pretty well. But the initial price they depreciated from was lower.

Looks to me like the initial jab at Kia, and comparing it to VW, was intended to come across meaning that VWs were made with cheap materials.

Anyone who ever saw a VW at the 10, 15, and 25 year mark can attest that it seals, fit and finish, and the quality of replacement parts was anything but below par.

I had someone e-mail me to "inform" me that he thought my price for the rear apron for a late-Beetle was expensive since he could get an "OE" rear apron, install it, use some filler, paint it and call it good. Too bad the so-called OE replacement is made of thinner gauge metal, and there's no reason why filler should be used if the parts fit right, which the panel I have will do.

After shipping costs, what I'm selling is a far better deal than the new part. The problem is that people can't comprehend that.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines, look at what happened when the US building industry imported Chinese drywall.

Insurers dropping Chinese drywall policies

Last edited by Gary on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, My KIA has excellent fit and finish. The only problem I have has was the plastic plugs that fill the holes for the driving lights. The paint peeled on those.

BTW, Have you checked the fit and finish on a newer water cooled VW?? That is why I quit working for the dealers. The cars they were getting was crap.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the axle boots on my bus the other day, and I thought it was odd they were falling apart after only a year or so. It makes sense now...

Although I do not support the idea, the Wal Mart mentality is here to stay. It's unfortunate, but that is simply what people have come to expect.
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66busman wrote:
I was looking at the axle boots on my bus the other day, and I thought it was odd they were falling apart after only a year or so. It makes sense now...

Although I do not support the idea, the Wal Mart mentality is here to stay. It's unfortunate, but that is simply what people have come to expect.

You are correct. People are becoming so accustomed to cheap they forgot or just don't know the difference any more. I will agree that country of origin is no longer the only check one can use. Let's take the rear window seal for the 72-78 Beetle, part number for these is 113 845 521 K. Both of these are from Germany but only one is OEM quality with the correct molded corners.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One is 24 dollars and one is 28 dollars. Which would you choose?

What about a windshield seal? 111-845-121-J. Both made in Germany but again one is OEM quality with the molded corners.

One is 16 dollars and one is 36. Again which would you choose given the option?

Quality is fading everywhere as business strives to compete with the low quality parts flooding the market. The manufacturer I purchase from is an OEM still using the correct molds. This manufacturer has all the molds but is no longer producing many parts as the demand for quality and correct is just not there. So rather than go the cheap route they have chosen to just not offer the parts. Some companies still take pride in what they provide, a very endearing trait to some of us. Much like HSU offered to make parts they originally supplied to VW for me so has this manufacturer. Type 3 people know this all too well already. Your parts prices are outrageous if you try to buy a part which is actually correct. Your OEM quality door seals for instance. They are over 100 dollars each. Why? Because demand is too low. After all you can get a universal piece from Brazil for 20 dollars. Of course it is not molded correctly and does not have the molded piece for the check rod. But hey it's cheap. I spoke at length with the manufacturer regarding Type 3 parts as I have quite a few requests for these parts. Unfortunately there just are not enough people willing to pony up to have a run made. Before you try to call BS a number of those people are also members here and were key to my inquiries. Can't blame the manufacturers, we are at fault for thinking everything for a dollar is great. If more were seeking quality over price these parts would come down in price. It costs more to make ten of something than a thousand. Anyone with any manufacturing knowledge understands this.

This quality that made many in the industry famous in years past is disappearing. Customers that believe a part is a part is a part are at issue. So keep buying garbage and you can be assured these quality parts like so many other goods will only be a memory. Or worse so expensive many will truly be unable to afford them. Something to muse about around the campfire during those "the way things were" stories.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vocho78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn...

I´m from Mexico, and the mentality here is "Use the cheapest part".
And I don´t blame people for that, most people survives with very small incomes and when it comes to repair a car, that is the way to go, because they have other priorities.

Here is my situation, first of all I´m very, very thankfull that I have the family I have for the support they gave me. When we rescued my car (1978 VW Sedan, first car in the family Wink ) I started with that mentality, because I did not want to be a bigger parasite that I already was. Since I was still in college and I did not have a part time job and my parents were funding the "little" proyect to make it run again. So we had to find the way to do it the "cheapest way" possible. My part of that deal was doing all of the repairs by myself, and with my dad´s help of course. That was like 2 years ago.

At that time I knew nothing about quality levels in parts. But my dad told me that we should get, in the near future, original VW parts for the car. And I´ve learned why.

All the body seals are very cheap quality, I always have to modify them to make them fit. Door seals, for example, I had to cut a piece of them, they are the same shape all around, they are thin, etc, etc, etc. And that´s just with body seals. Another one is when I was looking for a Bosch SVDA distributor, I was offered with a bruck one just because is cheaper, and when I said that I wanted Bosch, the guys in the parts store looked at me weird and asked why would I want the Bosch if the other one was cheaper. (Sigh..... Rolling Eyes )

But not anymore for me. This site has helped me a lot to put on my mind a higher standard about fixing a car, you have helped me not to settle with cheap aftermarket parts and look for quality, now I know is better to get a good used original part than a cheap aftermarket when I can´t afford it or get it new, and a lot other little things I´ve learned in here.

Now, I first go to the VW dealer and ask for parts, but it´s sad that they carry just the most basic stuff in here, and I understand why. It´s really sad that having the original parts relatively easy here in Mexico we do not use them.

I have a job and now I´m saving money, I already started gathering locally and locating here in the internet original parts so when the time comes I´ll buy the best. In fact, as a christmas gift for myself I´ve planned to buy a set of fenders and running boards from the VW dealer. It´s just common sense now that if you don´t buy good parts you´re actually killing them.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading and thanks to the whole community for sharing all of this knowledge. Smile

Last edited by Vocho78 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocho78 wrote:
Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading and thanks to the whole community for sharing all of this knowledge. Smile

and in your post you are also passing on knowledge from your experiences...
Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocho78 wrote:

I have a job and now I´m saving money, I already started gathering locally and locating here in the internet original parts so when the time comes I´ll buy the best. In fact, as a christmas gift for myself I´ve planned to buy a set of fenders and running boards from the VW dealer. It´s just common sense now that if you don´t buy good parts you´re actually killing them.

Thank you for the post. It's a nice change to see there are a few people left that understand the instant gratification from cheap parts fades all too quickly after they arrive. It's always better to do something right rather than right now. We were all young once and of limited means but we saved up to get what we wanted. Seems setting a goal and working towards it has been replaced by accepting the mediocrity of cheap. Good luck

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Notes...
WCM and WW rubber is now crap, and we all need to ask Bobby for soft parts.

Sound right?
Smile

Bobby, can you get all the body rubber for a '63 bug?
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vocho78 wrote:
Damn...

I´m from Mexico, and the mentality here is "Use the cheapest part"..........

Now, I first go to the VW dealer and ask for parts, but it´s said that they carry just the most basic stuff in here, and I understand why. It´s really sad that having the original parts relatively esay here in Mexico we do not use them.

The most interesting thing about Beetles in Mexico is that the VW Dealers carry Beetle parts !!!!! Imagine, a new beetle fender from VW, oh the prices some of us would pay for such a treasure!
I know, they are Mexican parts for newer Mexican bugs but still, OEM VW!

Then again, never having seen a Mexican Beetle, the fenders might be a wonderful thing!?!? (I've never looked at the final year bugs imported to the USA with anything more than a passing glance, Oh, crappy new VW vert....yawn)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vocho78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The most interesting thing about Beetles in Mexico is that the VW Dealers carry Beetle parts !!!!! Imagine, a new beetle fender from VW, oh the prices some of us would pay for such a treasure!
I know, they are Mexican parts for newer Mexican bugs but still, OEM VW!

Then again, never having seen a Mexican Beetle, the fenders might be a wonderful thing!?!? (I've never looked at the final year bugs imported to the USA with anything more than a passing glance, Oh, crappy new VW vert....yawn)

Dave

Yes, the dealer in my town still carries some body, mechanical parts. Not so big inventory but it´s better than nothing. The price for a new OEM mexican dealer fender is 700 pesos, like 50 dollars. The downside for you in the US, is that they´re for mexican models only.

And believe me, the metal is thick. I love to knock with my knuckles the fenders of VW´s that I see on the streets and you can easily notice the difference between an aftermarket one and the OEM. My fenders sound like a tin can when I knock on them. Sorry, rookie mistake. Embarassed

You can contact Antonio Trejo for mexican OEM parts if you´re interested.
robclark63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this post and thought I would add to it...I started a rebuild about 1.5 years ago and got it finished up and used parts mainly from topline and wolfsburg...I used some other places too for some little things, but mainly the other two. I used the Samba also at that time to find advice and the likes.

I DO LIKE things right and tried my best to find parts that would get the job done the first time and so I would be as safe as I could be in a car that many people think is unsafe...failed parts, fires in the engine, etc...

Being new to VW's and growing up in this age of not waiting, getting things fast...really what do you have to wait for?? phone on hip, can go to a resturaunt and eat in 20 min, send an email to Australia in seconds ....You really don't have to wait for anything.

When someone new to VW's sees old parts for sale that might not look the greatest and someone wants, lets say 70 bucks for a "REBUILT" fuel pump, the average 30 year old won't settle for that because the mentality is NEW is better!! Even though a rebuilt German pump is better. I think manufacturers know this all to well and that is why they can sell crap.

I grew up in a small town and as a kid and my dad DID NOT use credit cards and if you could not pay for it in cash you did not buy it, and REBUILD was a household word...

Well I think the kids that grew up in that generation, and some older folks, have lost this mentality. Credit cards came and before people even graduate from college they are 1000.00s of dollars in debt (look at the mess America's in now) because they don't have to wait for anything...buy on credit...got to have it...if it breaks we'll buy another one...and it goes on and on. Sounds like what I read about VW parts suppliers Crying or Very sad

I am on the younger side and did fall into that, and sort of carried it over to the VW side, but after a month or so I COULD see and feel the difference in parts and quality and started hitting up some yards and even peoples houses that had old bugs out in the yard for certain parts. It was a big flash back of my dad muttering about wasted money and the "we will just rebuild the one we have". And to come and think of it, after it was rebuilt that was it. It was fixed and did not need touched again.

Maybe a lot of the VW people don't stick around long with the cars cause they can't get past the I have to have new, the shit breaks all the time and they sell their car and move on. Maybe that will be me, but I doubt it... I'm not sure where this post is going but the question that I had when I started this is...

If every post in this topic complains about all the places that sell parts being junk, where in the hell do you go to buy a part that you just can scavenge?????

Sorry about the rambling and don't beat me up too bad.

1972 SB
2011 Ram 1500 Sportsman
04 Corolla
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West has rocked for 20 years that I know of!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an interesting thread. When I was a kid (back before the interwebz) I bought cheap parts, and didn't know any better. As I got older (and kept this same Super Beetle) I noticed the parts didn't last. Now, with a larger disposable income, I buy the absolutely best part I can find, everytime. I only wish II could find better parts for some cars, or vendors (Like BusDepot does) would label things as German quality vs junk.

You guys got got German quality Bay parts or Super parts, lemme know. Wink

Bear
Fasty
Super
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. A few thoughts come to mind:

"Market mentality" (buy the cheapest) can and will drive the suppliers. The airline industry is a classic example of that. How much pain will people endure, nickle and dime customers, hassles, etc. to get the lowest fare. I have bought non stop, coast to coast tickets for as little as $230 before. NON STOP, but at 6' 3" and 200 lbs, I don't fit in the seat. That market is ripe for a new airline that will say, "Want to be treated like a human being and not livestock? Fly us, but it will cost you $50-$100 more. ". When airlines are so competitive that a $5 fee on baggage or $5 beer instead of a $4 one will move them up in the ranks, the signal is that the flying public will take anything for the best fare. When the pain is high enough, then the buying public's behavior will change. The VW hobby is not there yet.

I started a web business with another VW enthusiast in '03. It has been fun, I have learned a TON, and yes, it has been profitable. But it is not my "day job". We are very small volume and the business strategy/market model has been "Find something that people need, that doesn't exist today, figure out how to make it, do it right, back up your product, and you will OWN the market". Why does that work? Because our stuff is so niche/low volume, that it isn't worth it for any WW or other company to come in and try to take it away. I like it that way. I stand behind everything I make sell, and will always take anything back, for a full refund, for any reason. Period.

I just bought a Mercedes 280SL and have been perusing the parts suppliers. EVERYTHING is available, almost all of it FROM MERCEDES and it is ALL wicked expensive. But cheap repro? No. That doesn't exist, and won't as tram pointed out on page 1 (I think). Most all Mercedes owners have deep pockets and no grease under their fingernails. And to keep things in perspective, my 280SL cost just a shade under $8k when new in '69. You could get a new Beetle then for about $1650 I believe.

I am disappointed to hear about WW quality issues (if they are in fact real). I have bought parts from them for 20+ years, know Tony personally and know that he, too, will stand behind his products. If something is crap, tell him.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently rebuilding/restoring an El Camino and so far have had very good luck locating the parts that I need for the process. Quality of parts is important to me as I intend to keep this vehicle and do not wish to have to redo any of it every year because of cheap parts that either wore out or cracked or failed. One difference I have noticed between VW and GM is that if you buy GM authorized reproduction parts you know you will be getting quality. The quality is not there if you buy just any one's crap. I am wondering why VW does not have any programs like this. Seems like it would be a benefit to the VW community. I am not saying the reproduced parts will be inexpensive but I do know that they will last.
abgwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Loaf wrote:
I am currently rebuilding/restoring an El Camino and so far have had very good luck locating the parts that I need for the process. Quality of parts is important to me as I intend to keep this vehicle and do not wish to have to redo any of it every year because of cheap parts that either wore out or cracked or failed. One difference I have noticed between VW and GM is that if you buy GM authorized reproduction parts you know you will be getting quality. The quality is not there if you buy just any one's crap. I am wondering why VW does not have any programs like this. Seems like it would be a benefit to the VW community. I am not saying the reproduced parts will be inexpensive but I do know that they will last.

Both GM and Ford recognize their collector and enthusiast base as valuable to their continued success as leading domestic automakers. I have read about Ford actually selling their obsolete presses, molds and other specific machinery to companies that are then allowed to market the parts as Ford replacement parts. They fit perfectly, as they are the original part.

But there are big differences at play here. VW isn't based here, so there was little chance of that kind of relationship happening in North America.
And if you've read through this, you'll remember that VW was plagued with counterfeit parts that led to the massive crackdown on use of the VW logo (and continues to feed the antagonistic relationship between VWoA and clubs or vendors today).

While it would be great to see VW step up and acknowledge their origins and suddenly cherish their enthusiast base, this will never happen. The ad campaign with Max, instead of being received by vintage VW fans with good cheer, was criticized and nitpicked for errors in the restoration! I think I read that the agency who created it wound up losing the VW account over it. That's messed up.

We need to aggressively support the quality vendors, publicly flog the poor ones, but continue to examine and report on quality problems as they happen, no matter where they occur. The good vendors should actually appreciate this, as they need vocal customer feedback to know they're doing ok. The worst thing an unhappy customer can do is just never go back - no body learns anything that way.

One final note: there are many sources for original VW parts still around. I'm lucky to have a local shop that has tons of OEM VW parts on the shelf, and continues to source quality German parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: