Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

prices for wiring..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StRkLyGeRmAn15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: prices for wiring.. Reply with quote

giving a rough estimate..lets say my car is a 1969 square...carburated with dual dells..and i have no extra accesories..how much would it cost to rewire under the dash..i already have the turn signal..i need the crap all straightened out..i live in so cal..got ne ideas on prices?
fastback1971
Samba Drummer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be doing the work or taking it to someone? If you are doing it you might get by with a main harness. I know a wiring kit (complete from watsons) is around $325. This might be more than your looking at. Anyway, I would say paying for electrical work is expensive. Electrical work isnt really that hard. Do it yourself, unless it is your daily driver.
StRkLyGeRmAn15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its goin to be my daily driver..and it is a MESS
fastback1971
Samba Drummer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed you have at least one more post on this problem. I dont understand why people hack up their wiring. I had a bug that had housing twist connectors( like you find in your outlets) under the dash. I personally would just re-wire the car. You'll thank yourself later. I promise. You should be able to do it in a week maybe less with some help. If you have to pay someone good luck dude.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were in the mid-west, I could probably have it straightened out in a couple days.
I used specialize in wiring on VW's.
I am now an Industrial maintenance with a specialty in electrical.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woulda shoulda ifa mighta.

If you were up here, a day under the dash.

You may need more than just wire. Can you tell the condition of the fuse block and if any of the relays or plugs are missing?

btw, VW wiring always looked like a mess in the dash area, not like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its done now , no more loose ends.

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
brent67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomnotch wrote:
VW wiring always looked like a mess in the dash area, not like this

SHOW-OFF Exclamation Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brent67 wrote:
tomnotch wrote:

You would think the guy that wired that did wire looms for 747's.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
brent67 wrote:
tomnotch wrote:

You would think the guy that wired that did wire looms for 747's.

It sure does look purty. Very Happy But then doing a bug is a lot easier than a t-3. As you don't have to stand on your head to see where you're going with it. Shocked He probably also wires 767's too. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
brent67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 367 he could do....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be amazed how straightforward it really is. When I got my '65 Notch, there was no fuse block and all the wiring was hanging down. I didn't want to touch it. A friend talked me into tackleing it myself (mostly because he wanted $200 just to touch it). I got a color wiring diagram for it, a couple cold cans of my favorite beverage and went out and spent a day getting to know how a '65 is put together. It took me about 4 hours to install a fuse block, chase down all the wiring and get everything working. The only problem I'm still having is trying to get a '73 wiper motor working right with the '65 wiring (changed over to 12 volt of course). Only works at one speed and does not self park when it is turned off. They just stop where ever they are when the power goes off.

FU#3
fastback1971
Samba Drummer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'd be amazed how straightforward it really is

Hes right. If you pay attention to detail, mark everything and take your time, its easy. Anyone can wire like that, just dont be intimidated. And I wire helicopters as well as do aircraft framework and sheetmetal. The hardest part is getting over the fear of doing something new. And aircraft have all white wires, no pretty colors so you know where you are. Just get in there and learn.
StRkLyGeRmAn15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea...ive kinda decided not to pay for it..ive been tryin this crap with a friend..lam gonna take a pic for u guys to show u wat has happened..lol..the dash wiring is in like..a ball just hanging down..and now the emergency flasher spot in the fuse box keeps shorting..and we cant find why..it makes me wanna throw it away and buy a honda ( HAHAHHA JK!!)
is anyone around so cal?!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son might have a Honda to trade you. And he does electrical work. (j/k) He does live in Lakeside, CA

tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, like NB and 71 said, wiring isn't that bad to do, just take your time and be armed with a good color diagram. Download one off here (in the tech section) and put it on a floppy. Take the floppy to a Kinkos (or some such place that does photo work) and have them print you an 11x17 color jobbie-do on photo paper. Not only will you be able to read it, its also "art" hanging on your garage wall Laughing .

To do really neat wiring, you can't start with a stock VW loom, the wires aren't long enough. And with the various colours and gauges used in a VW, you should be able to figure it out eventually. A decent VOM is nice to have and a couple of jumpers wires with clips on them.

Oh, and NB, did you put a later switch in for your wipers? There is a mod that can be done to your early knob to make it work on a late switch. That's how I got them to work in my notch.

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomnotch wrote:
Oh, and NB, did you put a later switch in for your wipers? There is a mod that can be done to your early knob to make it work on a late switch. That's how I got them to work in my notch.

I haven't done that yet. I had a feeling that would work, I just hadn't tried the knob yet. What is the "mod" I have to do to the knob???

I have to correct myself. It's been long ago enough I forgot. I DID have a fuseblock in place. Only it was the wrong one, it was broken, and things were plugged in randomly. I just unplugged EVERYTHING from it, put the right fuseblock in place, and started wiring. The color coded wiring is so easy to follow. Here is what I started with:

FU#3
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one other thing. The fuse block has a ground on it and must be fastened in place for it to ground..............

NB, the knob mod would have to be another thread.

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the wiring in my '66 when I got it. And it is still that way. I need to get back to work on it. The wife said she would drive it to save miles and gas in the KIA SUV.
Tom, the ground side of his fuse box is broke off.

tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ that was aimed at stricly's car, as NB stated he replaced his and his wiring is working............

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
I have to correct myself. It's been long ago enough I forgot. I DID have a fuseblock in place. Only it was the wrong one, it was broken, and things were plugged in randomly. I just unplugged EVERYTHING from it, put the right fuseblock in place, and started wiring. The color coded wiring is so easy to follow. Here is what I started with:

That looks similar to the last 4 or 5 type 3's I've worked on. My Notch's wiring was a mess, so I swapped the entire harness out of a 71 t-3 into it (I even used the 4 way switch, but it's not set up as a 3 switch panel like Tom's). My Roadster 2 had been partly removed, along with being chopped up front from the 1st clip job), and I even converted it over to use a GM tilt steering column. My son's Roadster didn't even have a harness in it when we started (the car was a "pile of bleached bones"), so we used a bug harness that I had laying around (came out of a truck load of parts that was given to me). We faked the entire set up, using a color Bentley wiring diagram, and made everything work. Then we converted it to also use a GM tilt column (he's 6'2" and kept hitting his knees on entry). The last one I did was my neighbor's chopped & paneled t-3 Square, and it was so bad that he paid me to fix it. It really didn't need a whole lot, other than just hooking up a few wires and repairing the PO's damage to the harness (chopped up front too). I like Tom's idea of making a large copy of the diagram, as it will be easier to follow than trying to hold a page open in the Bentley. Shocked Plus it keeps your book clean. Very Happy A good VOM, and some patience will go a long way, take your time and work it one wire at a time, and you should be fine.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: