Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

squareback wheelbase q's
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motolou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: squareback wheelbase q's Reply with quote

hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew if squarebacks had the same wheelbase as the notchbacks. sorry for the silly questions but vw are knew to me. thanks in advance. lou
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the floor pans and drivetrains are the same.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motolou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, I had something much more sinister in mind! Laughing I have compared various pictures of both bodies. can the front fenders, hood and doors be swapped in these vehicles? maybe?
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motolou wrote:
oh no, I had something much more sinister in mind! Laughing I have compared various pictures of both bodies. can the front fenders, hood and doors be swapped in these vehicles? maybe?

yes - they are the same; it is the rear fenders that are different from a notch and square...

but swapping the front fenders, hood and doors would get you... the same looking car...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
motolou wrote:

yes - they are the same; it is the rear fenders that are different from a notch and square...

but swapping the front fenders, hood and doors would get you... the same looking car...

Yeah, but you might need conversion door hinges, if you're using late Square / Fastback doors on a Notch. After 65, VW changed the door hinges on the Square and Fastback to the 2 bolt design, while the Notch stayed 3 bolt until the end. Rolling Eyes Also keep in mind that the later (70 to 73) used different front fenders and hood than the early cars (up to 69). These late parts won't fit un the early car without heavy modification (or the reverse is true early parts won't fit on a late car).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
blankmange wrote:
motolou wrote:

Yeah, but you might need conversion door hinges, if you're using late Square / Fastback doors on a Notch. After 65, VW changed the door hinges on the Square and Fastback to the 2 bolt design, while the Notch stayed 3 bolt until the end. Rolling Eyes Also keep in mind that the later (70 to 73) used different front fenders and hood than the early cars (up to 69). These late parts won't fit un the early car without heavy modification (or the reverse is true early parts won't fit on a late car).

gotcha - I was comparing year to year on cars...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you go back to his original post, he didn't list a year. Shocked And the doors can cause a major headache if you're not aware of the change. Wink He also mentioned he wanted to do something sinister, I wonder what that ment? Cut the roof off? Cool Put 2 front ends on the same car? Built a half back?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND, unknown to a lot of people, the T-3 also has the same wheelbase as the T-1 AND the T-2. 2400mm (94.48")
Track is not quite the same.
T-1 = 1305/1310mm
T-2 = 1370mm
T-3 = 1310mm

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
motolou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a post about choppin vw rat rod style Laughing I was thinkin front mounted engine, stacks out the hood, you know the normal stuff. I hope it don't offend any traditionalists, but I do like the lines of type 3s, just with a personal twist Very Happy
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the car isn't worth restoring. It kills me to see perfectly good VW's mangled. I knew a guy who bought a 66 T1 from an old lady who bought it new. This car was in pristine condition with 60k miles on it and he hacked it into a baja and primered over the paint. It was painful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: