Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vanagon gas tank leaks
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: vanagon gas tank leaks Reply with quote

When I fill up my tank 3/4 full it's just fine
but when I fill it up it leaks gas for about 20 minutes of driving (maybe less)
the rusted old gas tank was replaced proffesionally with a new one and now this!!!!!!
two options
1) maintain composure and just fill it 3/4 full every time
2) park it at the top of a hill, stand on the bottom of of the hill and wait for the gas to find me
nomadik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I swear everytime I filler up all the way the top end of the tank flies by, I am sure of it I thought it was my gauge, but a couple times I got a wiff of gas never knowing from where.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seal on the gas cap? If this were a common problem, I'd think it would be jumped on.

Check the rubber seal on the gas cap; I'll bet 20 plus years has worn it out.
pitbovver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think youll need to drop the tank and check all the rubber seals around the evap lines rubber or plastic i cant remember but it is a real fun job just make sure to run your tank dry as possible and carefully remove the inlet tube and overflow bypass also there are lines on the drivers side that go into a tank in the wheel well youlll need to basically replace all those lines im sure somebody on this forum will know where to get a kit im sure i just happened to have Deutz diesel fuel line that was the same dia...good luck....or just dont fill it up all the way and roll it
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: gas leak Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one jumped on this sooner. The kits for the gas tan(system really) leaks are to be had from Bus Depot, Van-Cafe, and, I'm guessing Go Westy, but I haven't looked there in a while. I've heard of several people who have replaced tanks but not the crossover tubes and have still had leaks. While the tank is out it is a good idea to do all the vent lines. It is awkward to get them all in (and the reason I've not done mine yet) but addresses the problem.

Ed
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kits really are the way to go. They include new tubing for the vent system -- that was pretty bad on mine. You could take apart and just replace "some" of the seals, but since it is a lengthy job as you have to drop the gas tank, you may as well replace all the suspect items(i.e. -- the kit). Plus when you get it out, and find out you need one more thing...

This is a common problem on 20 year old vanagons and needs to be done.

Rich
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has happened to my 84vanagon & 2 months ago I just replaced on my 87Westy. The rubber seals dry out or the plastic piece can crack. Be careful dropping the tank(NO SMOKING!). Once out it goes quickly maybe 4-5 hours start to finish. Van-cafe has the parts for less than GO Westy.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes very common, I found the root of my leaks to be the vent lines were rotted. as an added bonus I found spare rubbers for the tank wedged between the tank/body like someone started to drop the tank and say "F this!" Very Happy Now the only problem I have is gas spitting back at me when the tank gets full!
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to love the gas tanks and the over engineered genius.

A good way of knowing the amount of fuel in the tank if ya got leaks is:

3/4 dry, you've got 5 gallons left.
every other tick on the gauge is 5 gallons. Have to use your imagination for the 1/4 Dry...

If really in a pickle and your tank is giving you fits and your low on scratch... POR-Patch is a great sealer. It is worth the money to get the tube and keep it handy for emergencies.

I keep a very watch full eye on how many gallons slosh around. Rubber is going, gone and the plastic fitting ( one I know for sure ) bust up after X amount of years in Gas vapors.

Been looking for a Plastic version of the Vanagon Gas tank ( much like the ones people use for their off road Jeeps, etc.) Haven't seen boo, yet.

Has anyone done a conversion to a Plastic Tank?
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is a design left over from the aircooled Vanagons, it still has a "dip" in the middle from the heat hose on the aircooled, this contributes to the problem when you fill it, unless the gaskets and hoses have been done in the past your vanagon will leak if it is topped off.
fredthemagician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the best way to clean out the gas tank once you have it dropped? I just bought all the material to replace that part of the fuel system since I definetely have a leak, and was wondering if there was any build up in the tank itself since the previous owner had it sitting for a few years. I'd like to take care of everything at once.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here?

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html

or

http://www.gastankrenu.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this reseal job on the vent tubes, Y-fittings, etc. when I got my van years ago, and it was totally doable with the tank in the car. Considering what a PITA it is getting the tank out, and the fact that the crossover tube has to be popped in after the tank is remounted anyway, I can't see anything to be gained by removing the tank, unless it needs other work (cleaning, painting, what have you). If you have the new grommets, fittings, tube etc. in hand, this is a two hour job max. You need some strong, dexterous fingers, but it's doable.

Once done, though, your filler tube will still spit gas if you let most pumps run 'til shutoff. The filler tube needed to be made much bigger, with a far larger overflow diversion than it has. You gotta ride herd on the nozzle as it nears full to avoid it, and stand on the upwind side of your filler if you don't want fuel spray on your nice clothes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Benjabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Gas Smell When Re-fueling Reply with quote

I have an 87' vanagon that seems to have a fuel leak but I am not sure just yet. Everytime I fill the tank it spews a little extra gas out onto the ground (figured it was just the way the nozzle fit... so I have been taking precaution to stop the pump before it sprays) But there also is a nauseating smell for a while after the tank is filled (maybe through a quarter tank or so). Could it be that the seal where I load the gas is leaking?

note- yesterday was the first day I found evidence of actual leakage. I filled up and then got lunch. It sat for about an hour and left a teacup sized gas leak from under one of the lines closer to the front of the van. The actual lines were all dry when I got outside and I couldnt locate the exact source of the leak.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Smell When Re-fueling Reply with quote

Benjabear wrote:
I have an 87' vanagon that seems to have a fuel leak but I am not sure just yet. Everytime I fill the tank it spews a little extra gas out onto the ground (figured it was just the way the nozzle fit... so I have been taking precaution to stop the pump before it sprays) But there also is a nauseating smell for a while after the tank is filled (maybe through a quarter tank or so). Could it be that the seal where I load the gas is leaking?

note- yesterday was the first day I found evidence of actual leakage. I filled up and then got lunch. It sat for about an hour and left a teacup sized gas leak from under one of the lines closer to the front of the van. The actual lines were all dry when I got outside and I couldnt locate the exact source of the leak.

Do some searching, but most importantly, if you are a DIYer, get a gas tank reseal kit from GoWesty, Van-Cafe, Bus Depot or other Vanagon specific vendor. About a 5 hour job if your first time. It's a right of passage. If not a DIYer, find someone who knows these things. Normal mechanic skills don't help with the oddities of old VWs.

The original lines and seals don't hold up to North American fuels with MTBE and later alcohol. So it is pretty much guaranteed you need a reseal. Don't assume it's something else. It's not. Only interim solution is to partially fill tank, or it'll leak and smell.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also options coming to light for replacing the crummy rubber seal system (that turns to Goo in a few years thus leaking again) with metal fittings and copper seal washers. Once and done except for routine hose replacement as needed, which with a non pressure system utilizing the latest hose technology will be a long time!

One person is bringing a kit to market but there are also DIY options.

I've begun doing mine but not yet done. Someone else took the same concept and finished his. My finished product will be a tad different than he posted.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629207&highlight=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: