Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Hey Mouse,
I know this was really bugging you. Glad to see you are getting it fixed. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Thanks Marc, finally getting around to it,the hardest part was getting started.
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I moved my 56 Ghia from the storage unit to its forever home. Took me 20 years to get here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I took our 1970 on an out of town trip. I had to jump start it because someone had unplugged the battery maintainer. Fortunately, the clock did not blow it's fuse when the battery went low. The long drive was enough to bring the battery back to normal, and I tested it by turning the engine off and restarting while rolling. If it didn't start on the battery, all I had to do is let out the clutch. I'm amazed how well it runs and wish I could drive it more, but they closed the parking garage where I work and it would sit outside, so I don't drive it if there is the risk of a daytime shower. It's been reliable to the point of being boring, but at least driving it is not boring!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
I took our 1970 on an out of town trip. I had to jump start it because someone had unplugged the battery maintainer. Fortunately, the clock did not blow it's fuse when the battery went low. The long drive was enough to bring the battery back to normal, and I tested it by turning the engine off and restarting while rolling. If it didn't start on the battery, all I had to do is let out the clutch. I'm amazed how well it runs and wish I could drive it more, but they closed the parking garage where I work and it would sit outside, so I don't drive it if there is the risk of a daytime shower. It's been reliable to the point of being boring, but at least driving it is not boring!

Good to hear you and the Ghia are in good health Paul. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Getting Regatta ready for winter. Put the top back up and gave her a good cleaning and then took her out for a couple nice autumn rides. Fall is a great time for photos in Vermont.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looks great Marc!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtw_944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I brought mine home today ...

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I did this.

Out with the old and in with the new.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I couldn't resist, lol...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkemm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Cleaned up the fuse box wiring.
New to me '71 coupe.
Wiring issue left my wife stranded, turned out to be blown fuse (#9) killed all power to the engine. Tracking it down, figured out that after the previous owner repaint...wires werent all connected on the proper side of the fuse.

so, tracking down an issue led to full blown clean up and much more knowledge of VW connectivity (its been about 33 years since my last air cooled ownership)
last picture is the "Before"

morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The horn was shorting out when I turned the wheel. So I added rubber spacers at the coupler disc.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I'm afraid what I did to my Ghia took more than a week. I had a serious leak from the right side Weber (34 Pict) which, as we all know, constitutes a serious fire risk. Being an ignoramus with regard to anything in the engine bay, I outsourced the refurbishing of the carbs and 3 days later went to collect them. Then the fun started.

The carbs with their linkage:

Close-up of the leaking one: (after cleaning)

I cleaned the manifolds while I was waiting for the carbs.

The leaks were where the diaphragm (lower right in the photo) is seated in the carb:

Re-installation was easy, but the tuning wasn't. I eventually had to buy a balancing meter:

The readings on the 2 carbs are more or less in tune (sorry for the pun):

Idling is smooth but a little high:

Happy New Year everyone.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Finally installed a more "vintage" looking stereo, replacing the modern pioneer that was installed by the previous owner with a Retrosound Stereo. This was something I wanted to do over a decade ago...but at least it's now done. Ha ha.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Good job on the radio.
Also, I like your upholstered dash pad.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Good job on the radio.
Also, I like your upholstered dash pad.

Thanks! I picked that dash pad up back in 2013 from House of Ghia. I really like it too.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

More winter projects under way.

My clutch pedal was feeling a bit "odd" and squeaky...figured it was probably time to investigate. In preparation, i ordered and received the clutch rod upgrade and roller pedal from Ron at Classic Bug Parts. Pulled out the pedal assembly, dismantled it, cleaned and repainted the pedals, and then re-assembled it up with the new parts. Good thing too, as the stock clutch rod/arm thing was severely worn and on its last legs.

Huge improvement in both accelerator pedal and clutch pedal movement...but what a pain in the A$$ to get them refitted in the car. There's very little room to get in there and line everything up. Im not as flexible as I once was...ha ha.

Finally, I was able to get the bolts lined up and secured, brake push rod secured, and throttle cable in place. The brake return spring I still need to hook up, just couldn't mess with it anymore...and cant seem to find my spring puller tool...so that will be next. Also, still need to connect the clutch cable back with the wingnut.

Glad I did it, but really don't want to do that again. Smile
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

have been wanting one of these for ages, finally pulled the pin and I am so glad I did.
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Another little detail. I painted out the horizontal bar the letters are attached by so now the letters “float”
I was bored in the garage. 🤣
Jakenator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

First post here, been working on my Ghia for 2+ years.

Yesterday I mounted the hood and got the latch functional for the first time since tearing it apart in 2022.

Feels good to see the new paint for the first time with the front end complete.

Lots more to post. I may get to it. I have a lot of the history over on Instagram. Not as good as forums but meets a different need.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Looks really good dude.
This is where it gets really fun as well as really frightening.
Trying to put it all together without scratching something or weird adhesive squishies is a fun challenge.
Thanks for sharing too.
Start your own thread in the main Ghia forum and please share more.
Everyone wants to know every minute detail. 😎

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 165 of 167

Jump to: