Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting smoking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

May 19th, 2002 for me. Coming up on 22 years. Scaled back on alcohol too but still enjoy a few drinks from time to time.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
been almost a year for me.

never had a bad cigarette. I fuckin miss them like you read about. no gum (well Dentyne ICE) and Werthers Originals. Now I clink them against my teeth like an 80 year old

The cravings still come and go and at fucked up times. I could be just chillin with my kid and want one, or be in a road rage situation and not even think about it.

Told my wife if the shit hits the fan, I'm going out like a rockstar. at that point, fuck it....That is just how much I enjoyed them

I hear you, it's been 5 yrs 7 months for me and i still crave smoking a cigarette all the time.
I just remember waking up from my open heart surgery where they split my rib cage down the sternum like a chicken and pulled veins from my leg to use for the bypass and my family walked in and seeing my youngest son (12years old at the time ) balling his eyes out seeing me with wires in my neck & drainage tubes in my chest and oxygen tubes up my nose keeps me from smoking again.
Shit i was 47 years old at the time not overweight, cholesterol was always under 200 it was those Marlboro Reds that got me.
You have come a long way almost a year smoke free, keep it up.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

April 1st will be one year for me, Like Skills and Cabrio I still get the itch for a smoke a few times every day, but I can talk myself out of it with the "it'll kill me sooner" and "I feel way better as a non smoker" arguments.
The weight gain is this years project, and I have to do something about the psychological trauma losing your best friend of 46 years causes, right now I'm a cranky bastard and that's no fun for those around me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
April 1st will be one year for me, Like Skills and Cabrio I still get the itch for a smoke a few times every day, but I can talk myself out of it with the "it'll kill me sooner" and "I feel way better as a non smoker" arguments.
The weight gain is this years project, and I have to do something about the psychological trauma losing your best friend of 46 years causes, right now I'm a cranky bastard and that's no fun for those around me.

Right BD? You probably would love to choke down one of those Player’s Navy Cuts every now and again. I feel ya.

Here’s the awkward funny thing about smoking in the current day. I’ve known Busdaddy for years. Just before the Pandemic Xatie and I hung out with BD in Canada for the day. Hit the pub, drove his amazing bus and so on. None of us lit up a dart. I heard through the grapevine he stopped smoking. WTF!!

I’ve known skills for years. I’d send him pictures of me and Xatie enjoying a smokie treat. He never let me on that he was a current smoker as well. I didn’t know until his little bitch heart attack killed him and he some how made it back to life Wink Shocked

There’s another popular fella on the Samba I’ve known for years and hung out with that was shocked when he learned I smoked. He’s a former smoker as well. Pretty sure still a nic gum chewing, judging a-hole, but i’ll leave him alone. Just kidding dude Laughing

Funny how we all kept that from one another. Used to be a fun social thing. Then shamed to the back of the building to light up. Which, in my opinion a good thing. Fuck those cigarette companies. I do not judge anyone smoking. Many of my friends do. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Ummm…. sweet sweet darts!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
...Right BD? You probably would love to choke down one of those Player’s Navy Cuts every now and again. I feel ya. ........

I got tired of cigarette stink years ago and had switched to little cigars, go big or go home! Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Xevin wrote:
...Right BD? You probably would love to choke down one of those Player’s Navy Cuts every now and again. I feel ya. ........

I got tired of cigarette stink years ago and had switched to little cigars, go big or go home! Razz

Must be a Canadian transitional smoke thing Laughing Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Right BD? You probably would love to choke down one of those Player’s Navy Cuts every now and again. I feel ya.

Here’s the awkward funny thing about smoking in the current day. I’ve known Busdaddy for years. Just before the Pandemic Xatie and I hung out with BD in Canada for the day. Hit the pub, drove his amazing bus and so on. None of us lit up a dart. I heard through the grapevine he stopped smoking. WTF!!

I’ve known skills for years. I’d send him pictures of me and Xatie enjoying a smokie treat. He never let me on that he was a current smoker as well. I didn’t know until his little bitch heart attack killed him and he some how made it back to life Wink Shocked

There’s another popular fella on the Samba I’ve known for years and hung out with that was shocked when he learned I smoked. He’s a former smoker as well. Pretty sure still a nic gum chewing, judging a-hole, but i’ll leave him alone. Just kidding dude Laughing

Funny how we all kept that from one another. Used to be a fun social thing. Then shamed to the back of the building to light up. Which, in my opinion a good thing. Fuck those cigarette companies. I do not judge anyone smoking. Many of my friends do. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Ummm…. sweet sweet darts!

Oh Kevin... When we went to dinner and drinks you didn't share then nor did you share for years that you and K were smokers. I'm quite certain I did share my past smoking history IMMEDIANTLY! Laughing

I like many in this thread have known far too many people who died too young from their smoking careers. Other friends have had heart attacks and survived and other heath issues.

I haven't smoked in years. If they didn't kill us, I'd still be a smoker! Loved me a Marlboro light with a cup of coffee or pop! Mmmm. Thankfully I've ditched them and really don't miss them at all.

Mark, stay strong! Smoking is a stupid expense and is clearly looked down upon these days. We all know quitting adds years and hopefully decades to our lives!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Must be a Canadian transitional smoke thing Laughing Cool

Surely you know, everything is better with smoke!?!

Link

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Mark, stay strong! Smoking is a stupid expense and is clearly looked down upon these days. We all know quitting adds years and hopefully decades to our lives!

Thanks Bill!, yeah, the extra dough on hand now is significant, Canadian smokes with all the taxes were $20-$25/pack a day, that was another reason to ditch the habit, they must miss me at the store. Very Happy

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Surely you know, everything is better with smoke!?!

I’m not a chump BD Cool

Also been investing my savings of a habit into making money.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

Shit i was 47 years old at the time not overweight, cholesterol was always under 200 it was those Marlboro Reds that got me.
You have come a long way almost a year smoke free, keep it up.

Thanks for the support. You keep fighting too! 44 for me. widow maker almost got me. I literally dropped dead in front of the ER doctor.

Anyhow, they weren't gonna roll me out in a hospital bed to have a smoke Laughing

I've spoken to Xevin, BD and WCF about smoking. Maybe we'll pick it up again when we're shitting our diapers.

here's the crazy thing...I don't feel any better or worse. so either they already got me and i'm fucked, or I'm built like a cockroach

When I was in cardio rehab and they were monitoring my vitals while working out they asked how long I smoked (about 27 years or so) and they couldn't believe my blood oxygen levels were as good as they were. So who knows....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Canadian smokes with all the taxes were $20-$25/pack a day

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I've spoken to Xevin, BD and WCF about smoking. Maybe we'll pick it up again when we're shitting our diapers.

Hilarious Don!

When I was in cardio rehab and they were monitoring my vitals while working out they asked how long I smoked (about 27 years or so) and they couldn't believe my blood oxygen levels were as good as they were. So who knows....

That's ^^also great news Don! I've been super impressed with your dedication to get back to your fighting weight as well. As we've discussed, I'm trying to get back there myself! I'll call you in the next day or two for more inspiration!

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Hang in there skills@eurocarsplus, the first year is tough. I am grateful to not be smoking today. I take it one day at a time. Although the urge hits me like a freight train when I get super stressed out. My method to stop that urge is drink a lot of water. If I'm not home at my frig where I stash all my filtered water in glass bourbon bottles I'll buy a handful of water at the convince store and drink as many waters as possible just before feeling sick of it. I'm grateful that after 3 bottles of water the urge passes and my craving stops because I'm not comfortable with all the water. The water also pushes out the stagnant nicotine in your pores if a current smoker. Hang in there and get more time here to work on your VW, we are here for you.

I've always though it they raise the cost of a pack to $50- $100. it will make it easier to quit. I wish they were in the 1960's instead of the 25 cents I started with. The industry want's our money even if it kills us. F them. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

been almost a year for me.

never had a bad cigarette. I fuckin miss them like you read about. no gum (well Dentyne ICE) and Werthers Originals. Now I clink them against my teeth like an 80 year old

The cravings still come and go and at fucked up times. I could be just chillin with my kid and want one, or be in a road rage situation and not even think about it.

Told my wife if the shit hits the fan, I'm going out like a rockstar. at that point, fuck it....That is just how much I enjoyed them

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Keep thinking about that young lady , skills, she needs you for another 20 to get rolling well in life. We need you here, for nutsack speedballing training.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
We need you here, for nutsack speedballing

Ouch Abscate, nobody said anything about heroin addiction Shocked Maybe start a new topic. Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Sure, but the Cannucks get 25 to a pack! Rolling Eyes

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I haven't seen one of those in 20+ years, maybe still in Quebec, on the West coast it's 20 per pack. So ~$1 per butt.

Слава Україні!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
slayer61 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I haven't seen one of those in 20+ years, maybe still in Quebec, on the West coast it's 20 per pack. So ~$1 per butt.

Sorry BD. Embarassed I haven't been to my home country as a smoker in many, many moons. JPS for me back then.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

fuckit

lets get together and have a sampler party. Pal Mal, Merits, Newports, Lucky Strike, Marlboro reds and menthols

yea! Laughing

no Sad

Thanks everyone for the tips/support. it's a wild road that's for sure.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: