Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Project begins
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Picked up a project '71 KG today. As with my S.Beetle project I'll be asking a lot of questions so go easy on me. I'll research past threads as best I can.

It threw a rod so I will be pulling the engine to see how much damage was done.

Looking for the case number in the spot where it is located on my beetle it looks like it reads Firing Order.(?)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

Looking for the case number in the spot where it is located on my beetle it looks like it reads Firing Order.(?)

The firing order is on the alt/gen stand. The engine number (if it has one) will be on the engine case directly below that. It's possible it's an aftermarket engine, and if so might not have an engine number if a new case was used. It's definitely an aftermarket alt/gen stand, because an original would say Zundfolge, not firing order. But you'll have to get all that grime off to find out! Cool

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

I'll need to have it hauled 80 miles to my house to really get a good look at things.

And then to figure how to get it out of the street drop off, up my sloped driveway 30 feet and then turn and go another 40 or so feet on a gravel drive into the new garage I built. I'm thinking I can maybe tie a strap to it and pull it with my 4 runner close to the garage, then find 3 friends (or make 3 friends!) to help me push it in.

here is a shot of the engine bay. Any observations on parts such as carb type? I see it has an alternator. Didn't the originals have a generator in 1971?

engine rebuild: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775424&highlight=
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

mg50 wrote:

And then to figure how to get it out of the street drop off, up my sloped driveway 30 feet and then turn and go another 40 or so feet on a gravel drive into the new garage I built. I'm thinking I can maybe tie a strap to it and pull it with my 4 runner close to the garage, then find 3 friends (or make 3 friends!) to help me push it in.

We had to do the same to get a 21 window bus i just bought into my backyard garage. We wound up driving across my front lawn as it was easier than trying to get up the solid curb. just do it slow and steady and you will be fine
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

71 would have a generator. Alternator is an upgrade.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

I can tell you right now you bought it off someone who doesn't know vintage VWs at the least. I'm looking at the routing of the battery ground cable.
You have no reason to think it's anything more than a no-start until you investigate on your own. These motors don't just throw a rod...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:
I can tell you right now you bought it off someone who doesn't know vintage VWs at the least. I'm looking at the routing of the battery ground cable.
You have no reason to think it's anything more than a no-start until you investigate on your own. These motors don't just throw a rod...

No the previous owner is not mechanical in the least and didn't pretend to be. I bought it at low cost with the notion of engine rebuild. He said he was on the expressway and there was a big ka-thunk and it died. He had it towed to a reputable garage and they told him it threw a rod. Would be great if it didn't, but sounds like bad news.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Attaching my new tow bar to a 71 Ghia:
I have a 71 super beetle. Being unfamiliar with Ghias, will the front attachment areas be similar to what I see under my s. beetle?

S search mentioned ghia grease fittings being in the way:
"The brackets hit exactly on the grease fittings. If I move it off the grease fitting on one side it gets hung up on the suspension on the other."

Someone mentioned removing the grease fittings.

I intend to use an 18" hitch extender and avoid sharp turns.

Going through all the details of this because I'm an old guy with no helper. When I show up at the car's location I'll have to figure out on the fly how to attach the tow bar. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Happy holidays to you all.

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Several years ago, I towed my 70 Ghia from PA to VA using an Empi VW tow bar, and did not have an issue with clearance between the grease fittings and tow bar brackets. The brackets were positioned on the outside of both grease fittings.

Below are a couple pics.
Unfortunately, the fittings aren't visible in the pics with the tow bar mounted, so the last two photos may give you an idea of where the grease fittings were positioned with respect to the bar brackets. A close fit, but not problematic.

And yes, 18" hitch extender worked very well, as did the Harbor Freight LED towing lights.

Faced a similar situation as you describe with getting it into a garage at destination. Was able to pull the car high enough on the hill to get enough momentum with 3 or 4 pushers to get it inside.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

jpajya wrote:
Several years ago, I towed my 70 Ghia from PA to VA using an Empi VW tow bar, and did not have an issue with clearance between the grease fittings and tow bar brackets. The brackets were positioned on the outside of both grease fittings.

Below are a couple pics.
Unfortunately, the fittings aren't visible in the pics with the tow bar mounted, so the last two photos may give you an idea of where the grease fittings were positioned with respect to the bar brackets. A close fit, but not problematic.

And yes, 18" hitch extender worked very well, as did the Harbor Freight LED towing lights.

Faced a similar situation as you describe with getting it into a garage at destination. Was able to pull the car high enough on the hill to get enough momentum with 3 or 4 pushers to get it inside.

Thanks, the pictures tell the story of how & where that bar connects. I just got it home about an hour ago with no major issues. The clips that keep the holding rods in the tow bar seemed flimsy so I wrapped some wire around them so they wouldn't open. I fixed one safety chain from hitch to ghia and I fixed a second chain from the hitch to the tow bar.

When I got to my sloped driveway dip, I un-hitched, leaving the tow bar attached to the gia and used some wire to lift it up to the bumper so it wouldn't scrape while I towed it over the dip with a tow strap. A couple of guys pushed it while my wife steered and braked when necessary. But tow strap snapped at the "y" of the bar where I had attached it, so I linked my 2 safety chains and used that to tow the ghia over the dip. Then reattached the Ghia & bar to the hitch and towed it 50 feet to the garage. Whew.

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Great to know you've got it in hand and stored in place. My apologies for not getting the pics to you earlier in response to your questions.

Smart that you had the foresight to make some adjustments to maneuver the dip. I remember the Ghia was a pretty easy tow, but was always worried about the turns and dips along the way.

Looking forward to following your project and will try to be more timely if I have an opportunity to assist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

jpajya wrote:
Great to know you've got it in hand and stored in place. My apologies for not getting the pics to you earlier in response to your questions.

Hey no apologies in order. I was just saying those posted pictures will come in handy to folks.

First I'll pull this engine and see what I can fix or replace. Then on to body work education.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Just for the record, I think an 18" hitch extension is a bit much and 12" would have been fine to avoid hitting the car on turns.

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Agreed. After seeing your photo, I re-looked and realize now that I used a 12" hitch extender from Harbor Freight. The extender was coupled with a 10" ball mount that had a 2" drop. Worked well for SUV towing.

mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Looking for help in identifying the very dirty steering wheel. I was planning on replacing with a stock wheel but I think I'll see how the wood cleans up with some 0000 steel wool and cleaner.

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Not familiar with it, but did a quick search and found what was listed as a Grant walnut wood steering wheel at https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/grant-walnut-wood-steering-wheel.22955/
This is the only wood steering wheel I saw that has the 4-hole chrome posts like yours. The mounting hardware visible in your photo resembles Grant's as well. (Of course, this assumes that the guy who posted the thread is correct in stating it is a Grant wheel.)

Can't see the pictures unless you're registered to the gmsquarebody.com site. A workaround to that is to go to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gmsquarebody+Grant+walnu...;ia=images, and the first two images listed look the same as your picture.

There's also this Grant wheel on eBay, but with 3-hole posts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/263909993111?mkcid=16&...media=COPY
yorkjj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Repairing and restoring vintage wood steering wheels can be onerous. Take a look at this video from a professional furniture restorer.

Link
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

yorkjj wrote:
Repairing and restoring vintage wood steering wheels can be onerous. Take a look at this video from a professional furniture restorer.

Link

Wow, lots of labor went into restoring that wheel. Sunbeam Tiger deserves it.

SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

Looks like a Superior “500” steering wheel. They can be had for not much money in decent condition if you want to retain the look.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Project begins Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
Looks like a Superior “500” steering wheel. They can be had for not much money in decent condition if you want to retain the look.

I think you're correct. Here's one in the classifieds
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php...e8c25a6917

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: