Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggested Battery for Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

I just spent the last 1/2 hour of my life fighting to get a 41 out of the battery compartment. Sad

I ordered a T5 Everstart Maxx from Walmart, I'll pick it up today at noon. $134.00
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

When you put a new battery in is always seems like it will be 'forever' until you need to take it out.
But forever seems to come before too long.

Always put a lifting strap around the battery before you drop it into the hole.
A flat strap is best but even a cord, or a rope.

Yesterday I bought a Group41 interstate Battery at Smallcar in Tacoma, WA.
I have not dropped it into the hole yet.
If....it has any unnecessary plastic extremities....I will cut them off: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:
I just spent the last 1/2 hour of my life fighting to get a 41 out of the battery compartment. Sad

I ordered a T5 Everstart Maxx from Walmart, I'll pick it up today at noon. $134.00

So are you satisfied with your battery? I am thinking of buying the same. Easier to put in place because of the smaller size? Still enougn power? Did you change anything else appart from the battery?

Thank you so much, I just bought my first westy ans the auxiliary battery is dead.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Flo_150210 wrote:
...So are you satisfied with your battery?

I'm not the one you asked but I'll mention that I've had a T5 for many years and find it quite satisfactory.

Of course replacing your dead auxiliary battery will call for something else.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

A Group 41 (or T65) is 11 9/16" long while a T6 is 11" long, don't see much need to go shorter.

FWIW, I have had decent luck with top of the line Walmart batteries, not my first choice but plenty good enough.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
When you put a new battery in is always seems like it will be 'forever' until you need to take it out.
But forever seems to come before too long.

Always put a lifting strap around the battery before you drop it into the hole.
A flat strap is best but even a cord, or a rope.

Yesterday I bought a Group41 interstate Battery at Smallcar in Tacoma, WA.
I have not dropped it into the hole yet.
If....it has any unnecessary plastic extremities....I will cut them off: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit

or grab the terminals with a pair of pliers (or two).

One of these if you're squeamish:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Carrier-Strap-Black-Metal/dp/B07Y3LP498
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Flo_150210 wrote:
smd333 wrote:

So are you satisfied with your battery? I am thinking of buying the same. Easier to put in place because of the smaller size? Still enougn power? Did you change anything else appart from the battery?

Thank you so much, I just bought my first westy ans the auxiliary battery is dead.

I've been using the T5 Everstart batteries in both my westy and '50 chebbie truck. Been very happy with them. They have a lift handle to make removing pretty easy.

Craig
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Same - T5 for the win and more power! Funny, this exact battery is being recommended in another thread at the moment as well. Great choice.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

That will be my go-to choice then. Thanks!
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Sorry for asking one more time, but are you guys sure this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Aci...CA/5128244

fits? It's stating it won't fit in a 2003 MV Eurovan, but I am guessing they are mistaking aux and main battery.. right?

Thanks.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Flo_150210 wrote:

fits? It's stating it won't fit in a 2003 MV Eurovan, but I am guessing they are mistaking aux and main battery.. right?

Thanks.

So, you have a Eurovan and are in need of an aux battery? You'll want to read this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749057 over in the Eurovan forum.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Flo_150210 wrote:

Thanks.

This is the Vanagon Forum, so that is the vehicle we are referencing.
Flo_150210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

My bad, I hadn't noticed! Sorry for the trouble, I will switch to the other pages.
Thanks and happy Sunday!
micparsons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Has anyone used T5 Everstart Maxx for their aux battery too? Any issues running with two, ie., as house and aux!?

Mike
-1990 Westy, stock
slownsteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

I recently had to replace my house battery, which of course started my search for the battery that might best suit my needs.

A little background wrt my setup:

I have an Engel MR040 fridge which runs off my Dometic PLB40 LifePO4 battery - works great and I can get a few days of operation without the need to recharge the battery. If I am settled in at the campsite, I have the option of solar panels to top the battery up if needed as the solar panels can feed direct into the PLB40. On average, with good sun I can keep the PLB40 topped up each day.

For the House battery, I was using a MT41 Interstate battery. This is the "normal / stock" battery for a Vanagon. My house battery powers the interior lights, radio, phone charging, and my Propex furnace (appox 1.6 AH draw). The MT41 is not rated in AH, only RC (110 mins). Approximately 45.8 AH. The consensus seems to be with a standard flooded battery, only 50% of its AH rating is usable, otherwise battery damage can occur, and its reserve capacity will lesson significantly. With that said, this leaves only about 22.9 AH for the Propex and its needs or 14 hours of operation. Not bad, however I wanted some more margin than this.

A few technical notes regarding the math and research:

Divide the RC by 60, and then multiply this number by 25 to obtain the amp hours.

RC: Reserve Capacity is a very important battery rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80°F will discharge under a 25 amp load until the battery drops below 10.5 volts. AH: An Amp/Hour is a rating usually found on deep cycle batteries and is a capacity rating

I have been following this thread with great interest as the T5 battery looked to be a very good option given its fitment into the battery compartment. However, most T5's I looked at are geared more towards being a starting battery and did not have much, if any, improvement in AH capacity over the MT41 stock battery. I did find a few T5's with approx 56AH rating.

As I continued my research I stumbled upon this tidbit :

All the sizes of “T” Batteries are the exact same footprint as the “H” Sizes, but they are about 3/4-inch (17mm) lower in height.

I expanded my research to include the T6, and T7 batteries as both of these sizes will fit our battery compartment - length, width and height.

So, a long story short, I settled on a T7 Diehard Gold Battery. It is rated at 80AH of capacity and fits perfectly. It is effectively the same size as the MT41 - so no improvement on space within the battery compartment, however significant improvement on AH capacity. Same technology as the starting battery (standard flooded battery) which means there is no need for a special charging profile (AGM, Deep Cycle, LiFePO4, etc.).

Thought I would share my find should anyone else have a similar need for a house battery.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

slownsteady wrote:
All the sizes of “T” Batteries are the exact same footprint as the “H” Sizes, but they are about 3/4-inch (17mm) lower in height.

I expanded my research to include the T6, and T7 batteries as both of these sizes will fit our battery compartment - length, width and height.

So, a long story short, I settled on a T7 Diehard Gold Battery. It is rated at 80AH of capacity and fits perfectly. It is effectively the same size as the MT41 - so no improvement on space within the battery compartment, however significant improvement on AH capacity. Same technology as the starting battery (standard flooded battery) which means there is no need for a special charging profile (AGM, Deep Cycle, LiFePO4, etc.).

Thought I would share my find should anyone else have a similar need for a house battery.

A group 41 battery equates to a T65, so I am surprised you could find a T7 that would fit as a T7 would typically be 3/4" longer.
slownsteady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

I put the two batteries (T7 and MT41) side by side and visually they were very close to identical (I included the tabs at the base and top of the battery sides).

T7 dimensions are:

Height 6.937 in
Length: 12.437 in
Width 6.937 in

MT41 dimensions are:

Height 6.625 inches
Length: 11.5 inches
Width 6.875 inches
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

micparsons wrote:
Has anyone used T5 Everstart Maxx for their aux battery too? Any issues running with two, ie., as house and aux!?

Mike
-1990 Westy, stock

I've used two starter batteries for the last 18 years in my westy. Starter battery and the same battery under the drivers seat as an aux battery. My last one lasted 6 years. There's a calculation you can do to determine the amp/hrs of a battery, and if you look at a typical starter battery is comes out to around 70 amp/hrs capacity. The number of carges decreases the battery life, but most people won't see or notice this unless you end up draining the battery every other day. If you keep it properly charged, you get really good performance from one. It also simplifies charging when using two matched batteries.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Considering this post as mainly for which STARTER battery is best for a Westy I have a question about dates of batteries and warranties. I found a T5 Ever Start Maxx battery at a local Walmart. It had a date on it for 7/21 making it one year old already, so I didn't buy it. I also found a T5 Ever Start that wasn't a Maxx with a pretty current date of 8/22 so I bought it. Price difference was $50 and the replacement warranty is two years instead of three. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering what others think?

In terms of using a T5 for an auxiliary battery...if you're going to use a LA battery make sure it's deep cycle.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
dates of batteries and warranties... found a T5 Ever Start that wasn't a Maxx with a pretty current date of 8/22 so I bought it. Price difference was $50 and the replacement warranty is two years instead of three. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering what others think?

Longer warranties are better, but are hard to come by these days and how long they last depends on usage.

I just replaced a dead battery in my GTI, which had a 3-year warranty; walked out of O'Reilly without paying a dime for the new one. The EverStart Maxx batteries in my Cabriolet and Vanagon are now 4 years old, but are put on maintainers regularly when they sit for longer than a week (can't do that with the GTI, unfortunately).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: