Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

kaieric wrote:
don't worry - i'm not going to pass into silence.
any idea about the colour request?

The only way you might be able to find the original color for the body would be to look in places that are difficult to strip. On a vert you can pull the trunk lock to see if they actually pulled it apart for paint or just masked. Under the gas tank on the front firewall may work but your front clip (not sure if its a 1/2 or full clip including dash) has been replaced. If the rear of the vehicle was not altered the best place Ive seen was the channel for the engine seal. With the work quality demonstrated I doubt they pulled the seal remnants to sand out the slot in the channel. Depending how much of the body shell existed when it was chosen for build up the last place to check would be under the small aluminum plates where the top hinge is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

This link shows what vert colors were available and the interior colors as well

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_57_color_book.php

This might help a bit more but doesnt say kabrio specific

kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

so, as i wrote, they met a rhd vert body on a rhd sedan pan. i got birth certificates from vw for both stating that the sedan was build on 10.6.1958 and delivered completely knocked down to south africa. vert was build on 15.8.1958 and it's colour was alabaster, remnants of which i've found on the speedo cable tubing and under new old laquer in some interior spots at door hinge attachments. with its body# 47904 it actually can hardly be a 2/57 body.
pan wasn't welded and has its mounting plate for split trans prior to 8/59 when they altered the suspension of the driving unit, thus according to its vin#.

subsequent to my first euphoric entry from when i got the car newly delivered at home, i found it a confusing blend of asynchronies and i understood that quite a number of parts (and even more) weren't as untouched as i had expected.
more i examined it more i discerned its specific conditions as to what had been modified over the years: support channels were replaced but are looking sound, rear apron has been replaced as well as they did with the wrong decklid.
front is original as well as the fenders except the rear left one which is spare part. semaphore pockets seem org but sedan semaphores are installed.
some mecanics like break drums and shockers had suffered from negligence while the car was an insignificant part of a collection.

my heirs are obviously happy with the bug Wink i'm not less, and inheritance is secured nonetheless Smile

Last edited by kaieric on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:45 am; edited 2 times in total
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
This link shows what vert colors were available and the interior colors as well

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_57_color_book.php

This might help a bit more but doesnt say kabrio specific

i've seen all these great samples but they don't shed light upon the question how accessories were finalized in early verts before vw better documented it in subsequent publications. i've read various times of l471 stone beige being the colour of choice but since glasurit is offering two different shades under this denomination i got unsure about plausibility of that assertion.
how comes that everybody deems l471 being the right thing when even vw remains silent on that matter? more than rumours?
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
kaieric wrote:

Your body/chassis vin is from 6/58, while the 'document' is 8/58. The worst part is the vin plate on the body is a poor reproduction with incorrect rivets and wrong number stamps. The stamped body number under the fake vin plate comes back to as 2/57 which makes sense as VW dropped its use in 6/58. With that you know there was some SERIOUS damage to the front of the vehicle at some point

would be helpful to featuring birth certificate as to show how car was configurated.

referring to Progressive Refinements, stamping of body# was omitted at #47935 for cabs in 8/58. having found no evidence for subsequent modification of the body front i may assume that the cab is one of the last units stamped, digits not looking bad either. call me credulous.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

kaieric wrote:
great car. do you have some more pics for us?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Karmann Gheezer wrote:
Getting closer.

some progress?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Ive collected dash handles when ever I find them cheap. My Nov 58 did not have these small chrome accents nor did any of the ones Ive purchased or seen for sale. Anyone see these before?

Oddacre65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Oddacre65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Hi,

I am in the UK and am close to finishing a full restoration of an early '60 convertible Beetle in its original Sargasso Green. It will be 100% stock apart from an Okrasa upgrade to the original 30hp engine.

I am having real difficulty getting the front quarter light and door windows aligned properly after I disassembled the frames for chroming. I would appreciate any advice and photographs that might help. I pressed the glass back into the window frame but it is tight up against the felt channel set into the quarterlight upright. The frames and glass are original to the car so I cannot understand where I have gone wrong.

Thanks.

Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Jump to:
Page 55 of 55

Jump to: