Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing door glass w/o removing trim/seals?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Replacing door glass w/o removing trim/seals? Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm trying to replace a busted drivers side door glass. When I removed the glass from my parts van, I removed the seals and chrome trim as well to get it out.

I'm having trouble getting this glass to go in with the seals intact. I removed the inner, lower window scraper(the only seal which can be removed without causing lots of trouble) for more wiggle room, but I still can't get this thing to go in.

Can it be done? I really don't want to mess with removing the chrome trim.

-Rob
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only way I've ever been able to remove/install the glass is by taking off all the seals. Not too much work if you have some patience. I recall it took me well under an hour to do a window with the chrome. You might try taking out the front felt channel (the one that slides into the wing window frame), it comes out easy and might give you enough clearance. Probably won't be enough though.

It kinda makes sense that the seals should be too tight to change the window in place, otherwise the glass would be flopping about.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Window Reply with quote

Replacing a door glass is straight forward really . You need to remove the inner and outer scrapers as well as the upper and rear guide channel.(flocked rubber trim"
The rear of the door has a deep pocket to allow the glass to be installed. The easiest thing to do is to put the lower front corner into the door and then the rear lower part will just clear the metal at the back of the door and slip right in. It is a little unnerving at first , but it just slips right in . Do not take the outer chrome trim off or the vent assembly out to do this .
Once in the door put the window all the way up and there are two holes in the top of the door to attach it to the regulator .
Be sure to put the plastic back on the door as it is an important part of protecting your door panel and keeping drafts at bay.
Put the outer and inner scrapers back in before connecting the door glass as well as the run channel.
I have done probably fifty of these and make a living dealing with glass. I think I know what I am talking about here.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Window Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Replacing a door glass is straight forward really . You need to remove the inner and outer scrapers as well as the upper and rear guide channel.(flocked rubber trim"
The rear of the door has a deep pocket to allow the glass to be installed. The easiest thing to do is to put the lower front corner into the door and then the rear lower part will just clear the metal at the back of the door and slip right in. It is a little unnerving at first , but it just slips right in . Do not take the outer chrome trim off or the vent assembly out to do this .
Once in the door put the window all the way up and there are two holes in the top of the door to attach it to the regulator .
Be sure to put the plastic back on the door as it is an important part of protecting your door panel and keeping drafts at bay.
Put the outer and inner scrapers back in before connecting the door glass as well as the run channel.
I have done probably fifty of these and make a living dealing with glass. I think I know what I am talking about here.

Stacy

This is a bit clearer than what Bentley offers but pictures would help. If I knew what I was doing, I'd take some myself but I'm still figuring it out. Taking off the guide channels creates enough room? I'll see how this goes. It's a lot more complicated to replace the wing window rubber than I imagined.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pics yet?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: