Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Custom '88 Vanagon, "Big Red"
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: My Custom '88 Vanagon, "Big Red" Reply with quote

Behold my beloved bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My parents bought this van new the year I came into this world. It was the trusty family hauler throughout my childhood, until it was parked forlornly around 2001 with 160k and a busted head.

Enter High School. As a project while taking auto shop, I did a partial top end rebuild and brought her back to life. For the last 6 years since then, I've been replacing worn parts and fixing her as needed, as well as doing a lot of custom painting and part swapping to give her a classic surf bus vibe. I put a bamboo floor in the passenger space a few years ago and am currently working on a birch headliner.

To date, I've turned just about every nut on it. I have learned so much about cars from working on the van, much of that knowledge from the great members here.

Big Red isn't perfect. The paint isn't show quality. The interior needs a lot more work. I've certainly done a few things to the car that purists would scowl at, but it has been a creative journey and worthwhile learning experience. Isn't that what VWs are all about?
I've put so much love into this machine (and a fair amount of blood and knuckle skin), I've also been so frustrated I've considered pushing it off a cliff at times. But it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in and start her up.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell anyone.....but, kinda like it. Shocked

I started this whole vw addiction with an 81' ac vanagon. Original yellow and cream.

I've owned all sorts of acvw's since...but sometimes (very seldom)
I kinda, sort-of, in a odd kinda way.....miss it(?)

Please don't tell anyone... Laughing

Tom
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually haven't yet ventured into ACVW territory yet. I know it will come, I would love to get an old bug or bus at some point for another project. But I figure the only thing separating it from a true bus is the pesky radiator.
In my mind she is a bus. It has been beaten to a pulp on this site the definition of "bus" and "van" and "transporter", and I have decided that it's quirky enough, I sit over the wheels, the flat four is in the back...it's a bus.

I started out on this site loving the splitties and bays and wishing that I had one. I was young and had this, plus I grew up in it, so it had a lot of sentimental value. Some time after I painted it I decided that I love the van for what it is. I have made it my own. I don't mind that occasionally she may spring a coolant leak. Everyone I know still sprouts conversation about that Volkswagen I have and every bus and bug that their uncle or whomever had, and I get waves from other two tone buses, so I'm content.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: