Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine serial number location
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reverendgoldenboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Engine serial number location Reply with quote

Where do I find the serial number on a 2.1L motor?
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is right by the distributor bore.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine serial number is on the case at the base of the breather tower.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered if you can verify if a VW engine is original to the car by the engine serial number. I know with old american muscle cars, they talk about "numbers matching cars." Anyone know if there is a record anywhere of which engine serial number went with which VIN# on a Vanagon?

D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to derail this but are the 4 black numbers on case near OEM TDC sensor (2.1) factory numbers?

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
olivelawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
I've always wondered if you can verify if a VW engine is original to the car by the engine serial number. I know with old american muscle cars, they talk about "numbers matching cars." Anyone know if there is a record anywhere of which engine serial number went with which VIN# on a Vanagon?

D

I'd love to know the same. I'm still trying to figure out if my engine is original on my '85.

Where is the aforementioned breather tower? The only stamped numbers I could find was close to plug #2 on the left side of the engine...and that number looked nothing like a VIN to me.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:

D

'Numbers matching' just means that the engine, trans, etc are of the appropriate age, not that they are stamped with the car's serial number. You want the part number and the casting date to be maybe a little earlier than the build date and you want the correct heads/intake/exhaust manifolds on your '69 Z28.

Only modern manufacturers put 'serial numbers' on engines and transmissions.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
D Clymer wrote:

D

'Numbers matching' just means that the engine, trans, etc are of the appropriate age, not that they are stamped with the car's serial number. You want the part number and the casting date to be maybe a little earlier than the build date and you want the correct heads/intake/exhaust manifolds on your '69 Z28.

VW has been ID'ing their engines for decades. I've purchased several "birth certificates" from them and each has stated the original engine ID numbers. One of the buses was an early 50's.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:

VW has been ID'ing their engines for decades. I've purchased several "birth certificates" from them and each has stated the original engine ID numbers. One of the buses was an early 50's.

Thanks for the input. I should purchase a "birth certificate" for the Vanagon in question and see if the engine I pulled out of it is the original. It supposedly is, but it was rebuilt once (badly) and I've always wondered if it really is the original or whether it somehow got exchanged for another.

D
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

I see. I always assumed "numbers matching" meant that the actual engine number could be verified off of the VIN # or from a build sheet for that car.

I'm not a muscle car person, so I appreciate the information. Wink

D
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
I should purchase a "birth certificate" for the Vanagon in question and see if the engine I pulled out of it is the original.

Don't be surprised if said birth certificate simply says "nicht verfügbar; (MV), 90bhp, 2.1 liter" after "Engine No.". Wink

What should be stamped on the engine is MV ###### . That six-digit number tells you when the engine was built (well, for those of us who have access to that info, anyway Very Happy ). For example, MV 036101 is a 2.1L MV engine built in July 1987; CS 141800 is a 1.6L CS engine built in November 1983.

EDIT: Click here for a PDF list of engine build dates (MV, CV, CS, DH engines only).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
D Clymer wrote:
I should purchase a "birth certificate" for the Vanagon in question and see if the engine I pulled out of it is the original.

Don't be surprised if said birth certificate simply says "nicht verfügbar; (MV), 90bhp, 2.1 liter" after "Engine No.". Wink

What should be stamped on the engine is MV ###### . That six-digit number tells you when the engine was built (well, for those of us who have access to that info, anyway Very Happy ). For example, MV 036101 is a 2.1L MV engine built in July 1987; CS 141800 is a 1.6L CS engine built in November 1983.

So there is no actual engine ID number? I knew that transmissions were stamped with a (confusing) production date code, but I assumed engines actually had an ID number.

Have you actually ordered a "birth certificate" for one of your VWs? Worth it or not?

Thanks, Kam.

D
D
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
So there is no actual engine ID number? I knew that transmissions were stamped with a (confusing) production date code, but I assumed engines actually had an ID number.

Have you actually ordered a "birth certificate" for one of your VWs? Worth it or not?

Thanks, Kam.

D

That six-digit number is as close to an ID number as you'll probably get. If the engine was built within 1-3 months of your van's build date, odds are it's the original engine. There are no codes like what appears on the trans, as far as I know; I could be wrong though.

And, yes, I've got a birth certificate for my Cabriolet (click here to see it). I plan to get one for the van too sometime in the future. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MVxxxxxx is the actual unique engine ID number. If you post the full number I can tell you when the engine was made. If you also post the last 8 digits of your VIN that can be checked for date as well. These dates are not exact, within a week or two.

Mark

D Clymer wrote:
.....So there is no actual engine ID number? I knew that transmissions were stamped with a (confusing) production date code, but I assumed engines actually had an ID number......
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The MVxxxxxx is the actual unique engine ID number. If you post the full number I can tell you when the engine was made. If you also post the last 8 digits of your VIN that can be checked for date as well. These dates are not exact, within a week or two.

Mark

D Clymer wrote:
.....So there is no actual engine ID number? I knew that transmissions were stamped with a (confusing) production date code, but I assumed engines actually had an ID number......

Hi Mark,

Thanks. That would be great! The van is a 1988 Wolfsburg Edition with VIN# ending in JH077333. The engine code is MV043433*. Any information you could give would be much appreciated.

David
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
The van is a 1988 Wolfsburg Edition with VIN# ending in JH077333. The engine code is MV043433*.

Mark can confirm, but:

Engine was built in March 1988.
Van was built in March 1988 (click here to determine the exact date).

Looks like you have a "numbers matching" van. Wink

EDIT: Click here for a PDF list of engine build dates (MV, CV, CS, DH engines only).
2016 Golf GTI S

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
D Clymer wrote:

Technically you're correct.... well, actually we both are Cool Yes, the engine ID will determine within a certain time period when the engine was produced however with the birth cert. you'll actually have the actual ID number of the engine when the van was manufactured.

SO, if you only partially matters to you, you can determine rather quickly whether the engine is the correct "range" with a quick engine ID number. If you want to know for certain then the birth certificate will tell you specifically what you want to know... or not Wink
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Yes, the engine ID will determine within a certain time period when the engine was produced however with the birth cert. you'll actually have the actual ID number of the engine when the van was manufactured.

SO, if you only partially matters to you, you can determine rather quickly whether the engine is the correct "range" with a quick engine ID number. If you want to know for certain then the birth certificate will tell you specifically what you want to know... or not Wink

Not disagreeing with you, but the engine number is not displayed on my Cabriolet's birth certificate (linked in a previous post), nor is the build date of said engine (it's also missing several M-codes). The only thing it states on that line is engine type. Therefore, you shouldn't be relying on an expensive piece of paper to tell you all you want to know about your vehicle. Furthermore, the new 2012 certificates don't even say "Motor Nr./Engine No."; they simply say "Motor/Engine". Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both do show up as produced about the 3/4 of the way into March 1988.

Mark

D Clymer wrote:

Thanks. That would be great! The van is a 1988 Wolfsburg Edition with VIN# ending in JH077333. The engine code is MV043433*. Any information you could give would be much appreciated.

David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Yes, the engine ID will determine within a certain time period when the engine was produced however with the birth cert. you'll actually have the actual ID number of the engine when the van was manufactured.

Not disagreeing with you, but the engine number is not displayed on my Cabriolet's birth certificate (linked in a previous post), nor is the build date of said engine (it's also missing several M-codes). The only thing it states on that line is engine type. Therefore, you shouldn't be relying on an expensive piece of paper to tell you all you want to know about your vehicle. Furthermore, the new 2012 certificates don't even say "Motor Nr./Engine No."; they simply say "Motor/Engine". Wink

That's weird. When i got my first BC they were free but you had to wait until they had time to search for the information. All the others were paid for. I've never requested one for anything but a Bus so I speak from that vantage point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: