Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering rear question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Lowering rear question Reply with quote

Ok. So I have read the sticky and other into linked from said sticky. still my question remains unanswered.

I have a 68 bug. (seems more lowering info in this section than late model.) Got one side down 1 spline. Other side sits lower. Might have marked my stok height a little off center between two splines. Brought it back up to what should be 1 spline and it still sits lower. this time I even made sure my left and right side spring plates were the same angle with a level. Before I pull it all apart again. Drop it. Put it back together. And jack it back down, I want to check to make sure this will be the last time. Heres my question. How do I figure out the angle of 1 outer spline lowered if my rear end is jacked up and my car is not level?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

According to this, it should be 8degrees10'. But what do I look for if my car is not level? Or what do I measure the angle against on my car?

Thanks in advance!
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an inclinometer. It measures the angle which your plate is at if the bug is up on jack stands, and level. You can get one of these tools at harbor freight for pretty cheap and it will help you get the job done.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering rear question Reply with quote

TheWilliamAlan wrote:

How do I figure out the angle of 1 outer spline lowered if my rear end is jacked up and my car is not level?

At this point it's too late unless you can get the car level.

A few things to keep in mind - inner and outer splines are different. One end has course splines, one end has fine splines. This is so you can fine tune by turning one end or by turning both.

The best thing you could do at this point is to put it back together, drop it, roll it around a little to settle things and then see where you are.

Measure from the top of the fender opening to the ground on each side and see what your difference is.

Then go to the spline chart and see which way you need to go to either bring one side up or drop the other side down.

TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asesapie wrote:
You need an inclinometer. It measures the angle which your plate is at if the bug is up on jack stands, and level. You can get one of these tools at harbor freight for pretty cheap and it will help you get the job done.

Thanks! That did the trick. The reason I couldn't find the right spline was because at that angle the spring plate wouldn't slide all the way in. It hit the lip on the bottom. Had to hammer it halfway on. Bolt the hub on. Jack it up until the plate was in between the upper and lower lips it sits between. And then hammer it all the way in.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had to hammer it in? I lowered my bug using a carpenters level on the tunnel and this tool to set the angles. No hammering required. But I didn't like how the bug rode so I reset it back to standard height.

crvc
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crvc wrote:
You had to hammer it in? I lowered my bug using a carpenters level on the tunnel and this tool to set the angles. No hammering required. But I didn't like how the bug rode so I reset it back to standard height.

crvc

$ 4.99 at Harbor Freight Tools... I just bought one

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: