Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pressure buzzer comes on for 1-2 minutes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: oil pressure buzzer comes on for 1-2 minutes Reply with quote

I've just started driving a 1986 Vanagon and the oil pressure(?) buzzer (and oil light flashing), comes on just after I start it up and drive away...then goes off after one or two minutes. On a one hour drive around town, including 20 mins up and down a steepish canyon road, the buzzer only came on twice: once right after starting up as mentioned, and once after parking for half an hour and then starting up.

This wouldn't seen to suggest an oil pressure problem, although the Vanagon has a lot of miles on it. And both times this occurred when I was going down a short slope right after starting up. Other times after parking and starting up on level ground, there was no buzzer nor oil light flashing. Does the pressure switch(s) fail this way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm...... If it was my Van.......I would NOT be cavalier about dismissing that warning as a quirk that needs fixing........... Until I installed a proper oil pressure gauge and verified that there actually is oil pressure........ IT WOULD BE PARKED!!!!

If you can't check oil pressure....... HAVE IT TOWED TO A SHOP THAT CAN.

There is a good write up about oil pressure on van-cafe.com
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1379202762288/page_15_9/oil_pressure_problems.html

Read this information too, it will make you park that Van in a hurry! Once you see the possible connection of low oil pressure to imminent catastrophe!
http://volksweb.relitech.com/21rodbrg.htm

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by spending about $25 for oil and a filter unless you personally just did it and know all is ok.

The hated retailer sells 20w50 in a 5 quart jug, as well as filter TG2870A. Don't buy their cheaper filters, make sure it is a TG version. Use 4 1/2 quarts of the oil. Make sure the oil light goes out soon after it starts up. Run it a minute, then shut it off and let it set on level ground for a minute. Then check the oil a couple times to make sure the dipstick is reading correctly with the known correct amount of oil just put in.

You could also use a 15W40 oil for heavy duty engines but that mostly comes in 4 quart jugs so you need to buy a loose quart to make 5. I like Delo 400 LE 15w40 but oil brand isn't important for your alarm issue.

Mark
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the oil filter tip, there's a hated retailer in the area and I'll stop in and check the TG oil filters.

For me, oil pressure problems will show up when you're driving on the freeway at speed, and the engine's hot. Assuming you don't have an idling problem, if you take your foot off the pedal at 65 mph and the oil light comes on, that's the sign of a pressure problem. When the engine's hot the worn bearing clearances will expand and become too great, then when the rpm drops the pressure will also.

I don't know what it means when the oil light/buzzer comes on after starting up the engine and going down a slope...I'm hoping someone will be familiar with that syndrome.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a oil starvation issue, or loosing it's prime.
possibly from a bad relief valve sticking in the case ? or oil filter.

I'd change the oil and filter. but I believe the oil pressure relief valve is servicible in the vehicle.

Q in this image from www.Bus-boys.com
motor mount may be in the way?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP.........
Filter...smilter!!!

You seen to not grasp how serious this MIGHT be and how many $$'s it will cost to fix if you continue driving and throw a rod!

Get an oil pressure gauge on there NOW ........ Once you verify that the oil pressure is always fine...... Go seek out electrical or other issues.

But........

CHECK THE OIL PRESSURE WITH A GAUGE!!! Rolling Eyes

Your car, your wallet....... Happy Trails to you!

Popcorn

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
sounds like a oil starvation issue, or loosing it's prime.
possibly from a bad relief valve sticking in the case ? or oil filter.

I'd change the oil and filter. but I believe the oil pressure relief valve is servicible in the vehicle.

Q in this image from www.Bus-boys.com
motor mount may be in the way?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is accessible from under the van, no mount in the way.
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a high milleage engine, an oil pressure gauge would be a good idea. Can someone suggest something a little less pricey than the Van-Cafe combo ($120-160).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbclem wrote:
Since I have a high milleage engine, an oil pressure gauge would be a good idea. Can someone suggest something a little less pricey than the Van-Cafe combo ($120-160).

That MAY BE the best $150 you ever spent! Think

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be serious or it could be simple. When I was first into vans Jiffylube did an oil change and the same thing happened. Changed out the filter to the correct one and it went away. Why not try to narrow the problem before saying the engine is in imminent danger of imploding?
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbclem wrote:
Can someone suggest something a little less pricey than the Van-Cafe combo ($120-160).

You can try to find a used vdo gauge and sender and have the hose made up at a hydraulic hose shop. Not that if you go this route that the oil light switch in the used vdo senders are .5 bar. The WBX switch is .3 bar so you will want to put a brass "t" and keep your OE oil pressure sender.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use an off the shelf grease gun hose (~$Cool to fit your oil pressure sender. just don't forget to ground the sender to the engine. *the hose isolates the ground path.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbclem wrote:

First, if your worried about $120 for something that will last your lifetime with the van, think this one through a second time. The gauge will payback itself everytime you use the van. It's a great way to monitor a critical operating system. Second, let's say your engine is really on its way out, the gauge will work on your new(er) engine, so it's an add on, not a throw away.

While you are at it, why not order the type of filter from VanCafe that has been successfully used by most of the people on the forum. Dare I say the 'correct' filter. Wink

How many miles on the engine?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you changed the oil and filter yet? I mean YOU, personally.

Installing an oil pressure gauge won't save the old motor or help a new motor. What saves motors is driver diligence. Adding gauges to stock motors is way down the list of things that will do much good in the long run. Make sure the stock dash indicators work properly and keep them working. Keep fluids at proper levels. Drive the thing, but pay attention to it.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: