Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amy's 1968 Convertible Beetle Restoration "Grettah"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgiehm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy,

Looks like you and I have very similar projects. I too bought a 68 Convertible in February 2014. I have no idea how many owners the car was subjected to however it has turned into a massive project.

Like yours, mine had rusty floor pans and a rusty baggage shelf. I replaced both rear floor pans and the shelf. The body had no rust (Arizona car from new) and what had developed was rust from the top being down during the monsoon, I am sure. The tea made from soaked carpets devoured the pans.

My Z bar had been conveniently removed and I had to go to the UK to access a full replacement. My wiring was a total nightmare, found everything from household wire, romex, scotch tape, masking tape, wire nuts, all to power the 2 amplifiers, the power door locks and multiple alarm systems that had been installed over the years.

The body, which actually looked quite good was filled with putty and required hours of hammer and dolly work. Also the car was covered with snap fasteners, apparently the previous owner like tonneau covers to the extreme.

I repainted the car in acrylic enamel, Lotus White which was the original color. All doors and fenders were removed for that. I had to re chrome the original window frames and the vent window assemblies. Inner and outer scraper assemblies were all replaced on the windows as were bumpers, running boards, light frames and more. I had the speedometer restored and replaced all switches and knobs on the dash, as well as the padded dash.

About to finish the wiring harness but am slightly delayed awaiting a replacement speedometer ring and headlight drain tubes. I have a new top, headliner and interior....I know my limits, that gets sent out!

John

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain John. Yours seems to be coming right along though. Looks good. The top scares me too. I wouldn't attempt it myself either. I have to take mine into the welder one last time. Found some rust (just minimal) under the support channels when I was wire wheeling the bottom. (sigh) Once that is patched up, it's going in for paint. Mine will be redone in the original color as well, Yukon Yellow. Sort of a butter yellow.
jgiehm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A purest may notice that the ss body moldings are of the wide variety which I believe were replaced with the thinner mouldings, perhaps beginning with the 66 year model. Certainly do not know how I missed it but this car has larger diameter drilled holes for the side and hood mouldings....went to install the new mouldings and the clips were far too small. Rather than an additional project, I used the earlier mouldings and clips; this is the original body as verified by the serial number inside and the data plate. Whoever did the drilling did a flawless job unless it was done by Karmann, dunno.

Not too pleased with the "show chrome" bumpers but the originals were drilled and dented beyond repair. Chroming has always been pricey but when I received a bid of 550/ bumper, I fix the dents and holes first.....I opted for the Brazilian parts.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bumpers sold by WolfsburgWest are significantly better than the Brazilian "show chrome" bumpers. Not as nice as originals but close.

-jeffrey
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!! Smile

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incredibly rare 1968 Airbag option, shown deployed.

You guys in AZ suck. My garage door to my 1954 project is still frozen shut.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, it's only going to be 62 degrees here in Redding, California today. It was even sprinkling a little, and I had to turn on my wipers two separate times--at one swipe each Cool.

Midweek, it will climb to the lower seventies, however. So, I'm good with that.

Tim
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The incredibly rare 1968 Airbag option, shown deployed.

You guys in AZ suck. My garage door to my 1954 project is still frozen shut.

So un-fair to pick on us poor Arizonians.. Hell, I had to put socks on under my flip flops and shorts today in the garage.. It must of been a chilly 65 out there..

To be fair, we have our "winters" here as well. It's called SUMMER when it's 130 degrees in the garage for 4 months..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Redding, I have found that if you want to bring on a heart attack, attempt to install your rear seat in the summertime.

Knock on wood, I have a good, clear heart--according to my doctor--and also installed a keyed battery cut-off through the kick panel. When I want to work on electrics (or leave the car outside at night), I turn the switch and withdraw the key. The seat stays put!

Tim
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
To be fair, we have our "winters" here as well. It's called SUMMER when it's 130 degrees in the garage for 4 months..

Yep. That's why in May 2011, I had to either do the rebuild on my Mazda B2200 truck engine within 2 weeks, or wait until October. October won.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jgiehm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted that convertible in Arizona's July.....early am with the slowest reducer made. After the surface dried, I put the car in the hot sun for the rest of the day....no sags or runs, just a titch of color sanding required.
The slow part for me has been to find and attach all of the small parts, installing the rubber seals on the hood and engine were especially "fun".

The wiring was interesting as well, still do not completely comprehend why all the power is routed thru the light switch....strange.
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last.... off to the paint shop. Very Happy

And patiently waiting...
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint is complete. Smile

[/img]
stumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good !!!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW!!!
Very nice! Cool
Now comes the fun part . . . reassembling it without chipping the paint!
Keep up the good work!
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the weather has cooled down a bit here, it's time to get this little VW put back together. Smile I've got the dash in. That was a little tricky. It took one day of frustration and a second day of patience to install. Razz Vents still need to go in. Hopefully those will be a little more friendly. New rubber seals for both the trunk and the area where the deck lid rests. Installed the rubber seals in the engine compartment and am working on new sound deadener for the engine compartment too. When the luggage compartment was replaced I lost some of the prongs that hold that in. A fix for that should be easy. A few sheet metal screws possibly?

Tonight's project was to paint the area under the gas tank. Cleaned up pretty nicely Smile

[/img]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amy,

People have attached the sound deadener (tar boards) in the engine compartment w/pop rivets and washers, sheet metal screws with washers and other fasteners.

With the quality of work you've done there, I'd want to be "discrete" in what you use to fasten it to the firewall. Just be careful that what you choose to use, doesn't protrude too much into the interior, under the rear window.

BTW, having done a complete, removed every nut and bolt restoration on my 69 convertible (that I shared a pic earlier in this thread), feel free to PM w/any questions you may have on assembly. I'm also in Gilbert too BTW and am enjoying the cooler weather and dry air!

It's looking great!

Bill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember your little red convertible Bill. Sweet car. Thank you so much for the advice on the tar board mounts and the offer of assistance if needed. Smile I have a feeling that I will run into many situations where I will have questions.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a move on finishing !!! I drove my '71 Convertible to Scottsdale-Shea last night to O'Reillys to pick up a coolant recovery bottle for daughter's '98 Pathfinder there, a terrific night to drive with top down !!! The O'Reilly guy was outside and very impressed.

Yeah, we're getting to the time of year here for getting things done. Yesterday I did spark plugs and serpentine belt on co-workers 2008 Rav4, did a front axle shaft replacement (torn boot) on daughter's '98 Pathfinder, took off that grille to diagnose coolant tank leak, took rolled roofing off my 20-year-old carport in preparation for new roof there.

This morning I get to put away tools from that, and crawl into attic to check on a leak possibility in the "real" roof.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azamy66 wrote:
I do remember your little red convertible Bill. Sweet car. Thank you so much for the advice on the tar board mounts and the offer of assistance if needed. Smile I have a feeling that I will run into many situations where I will have questions.

Thinking about your broken tar board tabs that hold the tar board on and you wanting to keep it looking stock and original, you can go to Ace Hardware and buy a small sheet of 20 or 18 gauge sheet steel. Then go to the tool section and buy a pair of metal cutting shears. Then, copy the size and shape of the original, still intact metal tabs and cut them out of the sheet of steel. Drill a small hole through the tab and engine fire wall and pop rivet the tab into the place where the broken one was. This way, you can keep it looking original vs. a bunch of random screws or fasteners looking out of place.

People do this same trick when recovering the front seats. There's a bunch of spikes tacked to the bottom seat frame that often break when pulling the old covers off. They then cut new spikes, drill a hole in it and the frame and pop rivet them on.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: