Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How good are you?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ordered the inexpensive 44 weber knock offs for $400 to $500. CE here in Phoenix did the jetting and dyno tuning. My son and I built the engine from scratch starting with a new case, H beams, F8 cam... the heads are 44 intakes one step down from wedge ports with a semi hemi cut. We started with 7 pounds of boost and moved to 14 pounds. It runs amazing.

We'd have to pull the carb hats to see what the jetting is.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis' Bug wrote:
Sorry for the delay in response. We used a fancy $200.... I think it was a fuel injection fuel pump placed under the tank. We also had a return line welded into the bottom of the tank. Our fuel pressure regulator looks like yours. It's supposed to increase fuel under boost. We got a $400 distributor from CB that can be programed to retard the timing under boost etc, all programmable with a laptop and a disk supplied by CB. This is a photo of the intake as we mocked it up before putting clamps on everything.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EllisBug,
What are the specs on your carbs? Dells or Webbers? What turbo mods and jetting? I have a 2332 with the CB programmable dist that I'm planning to turbo after I upgrades the heads I have not decided whether to use a NOS set of 48 trijet dells I recently acquired or go with a pullthru setup using a turbo prepped holley 600. Seems like very few are able to get blowthru carbs to work properly!

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a ECU system that uses a gear attached to the crack pulley to determine when to fire the ignition instead of a distributor.

It's a pretty neat system but can be pretty expensive if you want all the bells and whistles.
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't even know what "ms-1 crank fired ecu" is. We built lots of high performance engines, all but the last one naturally aspirated, and I would like to go fuel injection at some time but it's beyond my experience.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the $400 you could have bought my used ms-1 crank fired ecu and had the option to go FI any time you wanted to buy the extra hardware........

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is often better to have a symmetrical tee where the boost pipe splits because otherwise the flow to one side may be favoured. As the cylinders open one at a time, this is not extremely critical but never the less something to think about.
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in response. We used a fancy $200.... I think it was a fuel injection fuel pump placed under the tank. We also had a return line welded into the bottom of the tank. Our fuel pressure regulator looks like yours. It's supposed to increase fuel under boost. We got a $400 distributor from CB that can be programed to retard the timing under boost etc, all programmable with a laptop and a disk supplied by CB. This is a photo of the intake as we mocked it up before putting clamps on everything.

63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that makes a difference then. Had webers in my head as when mine were turned inside, I couldn't get to the idle jets. Was thinking, "damn that shroud would have made,getting to those easier". Not as easy as efi though Very Happy
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbirdusa wrote:
Space saver manifolds will turn the carbs around to idle jets inboard. Cb has them.

Nice score on an old school setup!

Mixture screws, not idle jets. He has Dells

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space saver manifolds will turn the carbs around to idle jets inboard. Cb has them.

Nice score on an old school setup!
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
Depending on how much you want to invest and what your plans are for this vehicle, I'd highly recommend ditching the carbs and going with an EFI setup. Like one from thedubshop.net or CBs.

I would really like to see/hear some comparable EFI setups. Right now I am on a tight budget so it's hard work and used parts (where I can). Honestly I would much rather get this setup running well and look into making a change when it is needed.

Another video of the first drive I made just down the street the next day...

Link
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how much you want to invest and what your plans are for this vehicle, I'd highly recommend ditching the carbs and going with an EFI setup. Like one from thedubshop.net or CBs.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis' Bug wrote:
Who was the shop that originally built it? My son and I just recently finished his 2332 blow through turbo and it screams. Competition Engineering did the fabricating for the intake and built the exhaust for us. We built the engine. We run basically the same set up you have minus the 911 fan. My son's car is also a 63/64 rag painted like Herbie. We're about to install a trans built for his car, taller first gear, all the good stuff to hold up under this kind of power... 14 lbs of boost.

You really did score a great deal. Congratulations on that.

It was Doug's Bugs n Bunnies in Mesa.

All in all I am pretty pleased with the job they did. All their work is spot on (as far as I can tell), it seems like the only issues I have had are with the PO trying to tinker with stuff and not getting it quite right.

What kind of fuel pump are you running?

What did they use for intake- or was it all fabbed in house?
Ellis' Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the shop that originally built it? My son and I just recently finished his 2332 blow through turbo and it screams. Competition Engineering did the fabricating for the intake and built the exhaust for us. We built the engine. We run basically the same set up you have minus the 911 fan. My son's car is also a 63/64 rag painted like Herbie. We're about to install a trans built for his car, taller first gear, all the good stuff to hold up under this kind of power... 14 lbs of boost.

You really did score a great deal. Congratulations on that.
63/64 Ragtop
2006 Beck 356
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
The fuel return from the regulator should really go back to the tank and not loop through a T piece.

If it has a high pressure FI pump, that can be considered as a 50 watt fuel heater and the fuel in the loop will get hot.
I have warmed up a gallon can of fuel using one of those pumps returning fuel to the can while checking out an old Bosch K-Jetronic FI system.

Just as well you blew out the fuel hose now not when it was running. And when the turbo is not running the fuel pressure should only be a few PSI at the carburettors. Check that.

I've been running my EFI Turboed buggy with a tee at the bottom of the tank for 3 years now without an issue.
You will be just fine with it that way. I've run the tank to within a half gallon of fuel and never had a lean issue or anything.
Replace all your hoses and run it.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: It lives again!

Spent most of the day replacing fuel lines, cleaning float bowls and checking wiring. I found that the fuel pump had been hooked up wrong and was basically pushing air into the tank. Also found that the coil had been wired backwards as well. It would run without the turbo plumbed up but would stall once I hooked it all up. I pulled the turbo intake line off and pushed on the impeller which stuck at first then turned freely. Hooked it back up and runs great! -Guess it just needed a little nudge.

I drove it out of the garage and down the street the next day. Just putting, not wanting to do damage. Puts out a bit of white smoke which I am hoping will resolve after it is run a bit.

Next steps? I am probably going to take it to a shop to have the carbs synched and tuned. I have no experience with that. Also on this setup the carbs have the adjusting screws turned out which makes them nearly impossible to get to with the carbs in the car. I saw the CB Performance makes an intake manifold that rotates the carbs around is that worth the time/money to make that switch?

Link
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
The fuel return from the regulator should really go back to the tank and not loop through a T piece.

How do most people accomplish this? The tank doesn't seem think enough to just drill and tap it for a fitting and welding would seem... tricky.

Is the pump way overkill for this setup? I talked to the builder before I bought this one on-line and they said it was important to keep high pressure so that there is fuel when it is needed to prevent roasting the motor.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has a high pressure FI pump, that can be considered as a 50 watt fuel heater and the fuel in the loop will get hot.
I have warmed up a gallon can of fuel using one of those pumps returning fuel to the can while checking out an old Bosch K-Jetronic FI system.

Just as well you blew out the fuel hose now not when it was running. And when the turbo is not running the fuel pressure should only be a few PSI at the carburettors. Check that.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: has gas going back to fuel regulator, turns out the fuel pump works much better when wired properly... At which point it blew out the 6+ year old field lines going from the regulator to the carbs. Looks like I am pulling carbs and replacing fuel line tomorrow.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably will. CB has a deal on now...

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0104

I could use the Dellorto book as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: