Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Axel Question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Rear Axel Question Reply with quote

Hi,

My wife and kids found a buggy and surprised me with it. It's a project and will be fun. So I'm back! Yay!

Had to tow it to a tire shop today to get help getting some blasted locking lug nuts removed. Once we got the wheels off, I found that there's about a 3/8 gap between the rear brake drum and the axel nut. Is there a spacer that's supposed to be there or are these the wrong drums for this axel? There's no way to know yet which axel, what year, so forth I have yet but I'm starting to get in to it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Peace,
<><
TC
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be it has short spline drums (1967 and down) on long spline axles (1968 and up).

You haven't posted any pictures or even said what type of transaxle (IRS or swingaxle) or what type drums (5 bolt or 4 bolt).

Its very difficult to make any conclusions/recommendations with nothing really to go by.

You can do a search on the link below to see what type transaxle you have. There are also several threads which show where to find the trans serial number and determine its year.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143138

Last edited by BL3Manx on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely its a short spline drum on long spline axle... Yes there is a spacer if that is case.... Need to look at everything real close to determine whats going on...

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-22-5281-7

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, it is swing Axel and 5 bolt drums. I thought I wrote that, my bad.

I just got it home today so I haven't gotten that deep in it yet. But I will.

Thanks. I'll have to find those spacers.

<><
TC
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also need to get a seal kit and if you're smart a Torquemeister/Buddy tool to correctly torque the axle nut.

Since the assembler obviously didn't know what he was doing, you'll need to fully inspect the brakes to see everything is correct there too. If you have long splines you probably still have the 68 backing plates and shoes, which won't fit a 5 bolt drum unless they're Thing drums or sedan drums which have been machined wider inside.

You should also read how to correctly install the O-rings, seals and gaskets so oil doesn't leak into the brake. Torquing the axle nut is essential to the oill seals working. Odds are all the oil in the trans has already run out through the brakes and they need replacement. If I was you I wouldn't do anything else on the buggy until the brakes are perfect. Concentrate on and fix one system at a time or you'll wind off disassembling everything with little hope of putting it back together in less than several years if ever.

Read this thread

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583865

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7036
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcrdn wrote:
I'm sorry, it is swing Axel and 5 bolt drums. I thought I wrote that, my bad.

I just got it home today so I haven't gotten that deep in it yet. But I will.

Thanks. I'll have to find those spacers.

<><
TC

That is not quite enough info because swing axle cars where short spline up through 1967 and long spline in 1968. The short spline drums can be used with long splines if you add proper spacers. The long spline drums can only be used on short spline axles if you have the snout trimmed at a machine shop.
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had time for a little more research this morning so I'm still not exactly sure what I have. But there is a VW graveyard not far from me and I was able to find spacers AND found a donor car for e brakes. Yup, buggy didn't have any at all. Got 2 cables and all the necessary hardware. Just have to shorten them up and install.

Thanks for all your help.

<><
TC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: