Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmissions For Dummies
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

This article is meant to help answer some of the transmission questions that are constantly asked. I am by no means an expert, but I have learned quite a bit about trannies since I got into VW's, and I hope this info will be helpful to someone.

Identifying VW Transaxles...

The 091...Aka the 6-rib
Found in '76-'79 Bus. They have a 4.56 R&P ratio, and are considered to be the strongest stock VW transmission.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

091-Side Shift
*Note: This is the one that can be converted to nose shift.
Essentially the same as the Bus 091 and can be converted to nose shift.
Found in '80-'83 Vanagons with the T4 engine.

091-Mid Shift
*Note: This one cannot be converted to nose shift.
This may actually be an 094 instead of an 091, but I haven't verified this yet.
Found in '83-up Vanagons with the Wasserboxer engine.

094 Synchro 4x4
*Note: I don't know much about this one, except for the fact that they are pretty rare. However, they have a locking differential that can be made to fit in an 091 or 002 (More on this later).
Found in ??-?? Synchro Vanagons.

The 002...Aka the 3-rib
*Note: The earlier 3-ribs have no mounting ears on top of the bellhousing, axle flange retainers attached by acorn nuts, and a shorter input shaft (for the T1 engine). There's more info the early models posted below the pic. They have a 5.38 (Also 5.42, but it is pretty rare) R&P ratio.

Bruce wrote:

The first Bus IRS trans in 68 is called a 113 type Bus trans. Same for those up to 71. This is because all the parts associated with the 4 forward gears and reverse are exactly the same as what are found in a Beetle 113 trans. Exceptions are gear ratios and tooth configuration.

Then in 72, the 002 Bus trans came out. The individual gears were all completely re-designed and are called 002 gears. These were used to the end of 75. Beetle gearboxes with only one side cover also use the exact same 002 Bus type gears.

The 002 5-rib
*Note: Even though the 5-rib has a few different components than the 3-rib, it's still classified as a 002.
Found in '74-'75 Bus. They have a 4.86 R&P ratio.

Vanagon Diesel
No information available at this time.

Bug IRS-Late
*Note: The one on the left is from '75-up, and the one on the right is from '72-'74. As far as I know they are the same except for the case differences.
Found in the '72-up Bug. They have a 3.88 R&P ratio.

Bug IRS-Early
Found in the '69-'71? Bug. They have a 4.12 R&P ratio.

Berg 5 Speed
See pics and info posted by Glenn.

AutoStick

Bus/T3/T4 Automatic
This one happens to be a late Bay or early Vanagon. Note the shifter on the right side. Early ones had the shifter on the left.

Bug Swingaxle

Bus Swingaxle with Reduction Boxes

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Last edited by Daniel G on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Sticky

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
I vote Sticky

way ahead of you

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you edit your original post to include years of busses in which to find the transaxles you posted above?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el loco kingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what exactly is "autostick"?

and what do the numbers mean in the trannys.. 002, 091 ect. are those trannys out of bus's?

and with the swing axel with the reduction box's.. are the reduction box's those box's on the ends of the axle tubes, before the drums? if not, what are those?

i want to widen my rear end up a little bit more, would that be a good way? its a swing axle.

thank, and sorry for all the questions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143790
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr. awsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know an auto stick is a type of automatic trans for a v-dub but that's all I really know about them so it's probably not much help.
The numbers are just the type of trannny. You can either label them as the number or how many ribs they have from what I understand.
And yes the reduction boxes are those things on the end of the axle tubes. They will lift the rear end up but the reduce your gearing so you sill go much slower if you add them. Great for hill climbing and such bot not good for street-able driving in my opinion. i don't think they will widen they stance much if at all. They best way to widen the stance is to get some wider arms.
el loco kingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear is somewhat wide as of right now, but the irs conversion is on my mind, so im not sure if i should make any moves right now.

how many different types of swing axle trannys are there? same with irs, do they go by ribs like the bus trannys?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143790
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an autostick in my first vw. its a transmission with a vacuum operated clutch (automatic) and a torque converter. the clutch is supposed to disengage when you let off the gas. and the torque converter lets you sit at a stop light in gear. oh yeah, they are hard to get working right...
merc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the swing axles, is it possible to mount the Redux boxes on the type 1 swing axle? My bug has a swingaxle w/redux boxes. I know the bellhousing is for a 6V flywheel, but I'm not sure wether it is an early bus tranny, or early type 1 tranny with the boxes added on. I'm just trying to guesstimate what gearing it has off the chart on Sandlizard's site. Unfortunately I won't actually have the car in my possession until late December or early January.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Autosticks Reply with quote

I never found the Autostick to be 'hard to get working right' - I've had two of them for 20+ years & have only replaced a vacuum diaphragm & contact points in shifters... combined, the two cars have over 250k miles.
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reduction boxes work by having the ring and pinion gear reversed when compared to a beetle transmission. there are two gears in the reduction box, one on the end of the axle (on top) and one on the stub axle (on bottom).

installing a reduction gear setup from a bus (depending on the type of adapter) will give you lift, widen the stance, and reduce your overall gearing.

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I get the free time I am planning on giving the information(Year models, R&P ratio, etc) I am still looking for some more pics from the gallery, as well. Once I get the basics taken care of, I am going to go into more detail with everything.

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed one....

Berg 5

A Berg 5 is built from a stock Type 1 Swing or IRS tranny. It requires the basic Berg 5 kit, a special shifter and cross member.

You have to completely disassemble the tranny and send YOUR mainshaft and pinion shaft to Berg to be lengthened. You then reassemble the tranny, this is the time to select new gear ratios and put in some heavy duty stuff. The 5th gear site in the nosecone.

Take a look at http://www.glenn-ring.com/resto/resto5.html for more info and pictures.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You missed one....

Berg 5

showoff

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamburgerBrad wrote:
Glenn wrote:
You missed one....

Berg 5

showoff

Wink

Not a "off road" tranny, but this is a nice topic and I might put a link in the Engine/Performance forum as a sticky.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

Daniel G wrote:

also note that the earlier 002 transaxles did not have provisions for an upper mount like this one.

Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything wrong with the 091 side-shift and mid shift tranny's that would preclude one from running it in a buggy? Will a normal VW shifter work if I were to make a linkage? What applications have the side-shift and mid shift?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rterfert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmissions For Dummies Reply with quote

HamburgerBrad wrote:
Daniel G wrote:

also note that the earlier 002 transaxles did not have provisions for an upper mount like this one.

Correct the 68-72 have the same body but I believe a different bellhousing and input shaft.
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo_buggy wrote:
Is there anything wrong with the 091 side-shift and mid shift tranny's that would preclude one from running it in a buggy? Will a normal VW shifter work if I were to make a linkage? What applications have the side-shift and mid shift?

I posted some pics of the side-shift linkage in the Gallery, and I was going to go into detail about that later. The biggest issue is just that fabricating a linkage would take some thought and some custom parts.

rterfert, You are right about the input shaft. That one slipped my mind. When VW swapped to the T4 engine, they had to lengthen the input shaft.

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a Type 1 engine with an 091

I want to add this additional information, which I have recently learned:

If you want to use the 091 with a T1 engine, there is no need to modify or switch any parts around. However, if you do this you must use the 091 bell housing and 091-only starter.

If you want to use the Type 1 style starter (it's cheaper and easier to find) with your 091, you must do one of the following:

Get the 002 bellhousing and input shaft, and swap them to the 091.

Get the 002 bellhousing, and trim the 091 input shaft. IIRC, you need to cut about 1/2" off the end.

There is also one other option that I have heard of, and that is to simply have the starter area on you 091 bell housing milled down so that a Type 1 style starter can be used.

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Last edited by Daniel G on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: