Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2nd gear brake band
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: 2nd gear brake band Reply with quote

I made a big mistake of undoing the big c-clip holding on the 2nd gear brake band. It was leaking heavily so I figured I'd replace the "seal" while I had the engine out. Bad idea! I am wondering how to compress the spring enough to get it back together, any ideas?
Thanks!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to back off the 2nd gear brake band adjuster to be able to get the cover back in the hole then slip the pawl back into the band end--then readjust the band with the adjuster screw.

Boing--the spring probably blew the cover outa the trans as soon as you took the clip out---

Bada Boom, Bada Bing, Hello plunger & Spring---
taylora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the only proper way to do it is to drop the pan and then maybe I'll see how things are supposed to line up. I hope I can find some new seals, it was leaking pretty good. I don't see any adjuster screw. I'll have to look again today.

Thanks!
taylora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some useful threads about the 2nd gear brake. After looking at other posts and reading more, I really don't want to take any more things apart! I guess my two questions are:
Is it possible to put it back in without taking apart the transmission?
Will it be very obvious if it is not installed correctly?

Thanks!
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To properly reinstall the 2nd gear brake band piston you'll have to remove the ATF pan and valve body... just be ready for that. Two reasons for this:

1. to properly seat the piston rod on the 2nd gear brake band upon reinstallation (easy to get it wrong, impossible to do it blind)

2. to use a convenient tool to reinstall the piston (see below).

You can do the job with the AT in the van. You'll need a large 4" vise lock to press the piston into the AT housing while you reinstall the piston cover circlip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am about to tackle this job because of a serious leak at the 2nd gear cover.

I've found, you must drop the oil pan and valve body so you can properly guide the band into it's proper location abive the valve body.

To try it blindly will most likely end up buggering up the end and bending things...... Possibly seriously and incur a trans removal and disassembly to replace the bent parts.

Probably someone with much experince can do this task by feel, someone such as myself or other average wrencher should take precautions and proceed with caution.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all true, but perform this task within your own ability.

The end of the band can be viewed pretty easy to hook the rod pawl back into it with the pan dropped only.
The key here is to loosen the adjuster up enough to get re-hooked.

Not heart surgery, just the 2nd gear brake band rod pawl back into the end of the band.
I've performed this operation too many times to count, and it's no big deal.

For the OP;
Look in your Bentley at pg 38.7--you'll find the adjusting screw pictured there.
Loosen up the lock nut first then back the screw out a turn or two--or whatever it takes to get the rod pawl back into place.
taylora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures of this process? Or is it impossible to see?

Thanks
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is going to have to do some tearing into his trans for his weeping brake band piston seals.
And he is most certainly Cecil B. Demil here.

Perhaps he can document this event for you.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everything you need to fully learn about the 2nd gear brake band is in this post, with pictures:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6503112#6503112

kourt
taylora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the OP;
Look in your Bentley at pg 38.7--you'll find the adjusting screw pictured there.
Loosen up the lock nut first then back the screw out a turn or two--or whatever it takes to get the rod pawl back into place.

I recently moved and don't have access to my Bently, it's a few hours away. Is that section scanned anywhere?

And the photos were really helpful, thanks kourt.
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: