Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reviving a Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

BC_Mike wrote:
Congrats on your book Joe. Have just enjoyed reading this thread and understanding your journey. You've done it all with a pretty standard garage, whilst holding down a day-job and all that comes with family commitments. The friends gathering for the high-top install and the humour along the way was treasure. You can change a fuel filter on the side of the road and still make the gig, and know it's every nut and circlip - surely the badge of honour for anyone wanting a van.

Love seeing this van out to concerts and hope to hear of more backroad travels and what these vans and their stories & community can teach us.

Thank you for the kind words, Mike! The idea behind this thread has been to provide an honest diary of what happens when an obsessed hobbyist gets in deep on a van nobody else wanted. I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

I went up to RMW a couple of weekends ago and worked with Josh on how I wanted the new downpipe to be routed. After a few days, I got this photo from Mike. It's a beaut.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I headed up there on Saturday for final installation. We found an avocado-sized chunk of catalytic converter lodged in the connection between the muffler and tailpipe! That would explain some lack of power, perhaps?

Side note: Working under a lift is the lap of luxury.

All buttoned up, it ran flawlessly with power to spare back to Denver. I've been driving it around on errands the past couple of days and am very happy with the new setup. The flex joint has lessened vibrations between the engine and the body even more.

(My high top stripes are cooked. The little company that made them for me is out of business. Add it to the list.)

I went out this morning to drive it to work and...

The goddamned spade connector for the starter exciter wire is off again. I didn't have time to get dirty and fix it, so I drove the GTI. Nice to have a spare car. Smile I have got to fix that correctly this time.

Syncrofest is out due to some outside interferences, but I'm looking forward to Syncro Solstice!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Yesterday, on my third visit to the testing center, it finally passed emissions!

It took those knuckleheads three tries before they finally completed a test successfully.

It's all registered up and back in business!! Now to daily drive it and see what else I can break...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

See you at Syncro Solstice! Applause

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I've had ongoing vibrations in the front end that have really worn me out over the past couple of years. Concurrently, my General Grabber AT3s, which are excellent offroad tires, have been getting louder and louder. The van drives like a tractor and it has only gotten worse.

I had the Generals re-balanced three or four times and could never get rid of the vibrations at 45 and 65 MPH, nor the shimmy and looseness out of the front end. One wheel had four weights on it. I assumed that I had trashed my rims or that I just couldn't find the sweet spot in drivetrain angles even though I've done everything possible.

I finally made a choice to stay off the super-nasty jeep trails and trade the toughness of the Grabbers for something a little less aggressive. I looked a Toyo Open Country, Geolandars (I have lots of good experience with those) and a new option, Vredestein Pinza.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

I have all-weather Vredesteins on my GTI and they've been great so far. This company was formerly Dutch and had a sterling Vanagon reputation back in the day, but got acquired by Apollo in India a few years ago.

These are 215/75/15 SL100T, mild AT, and have the mountain snowflake thing.

They're not as cool-looking as Grabbers Very Happy but after tooling around for the weekend, the difference is staggering. They are extremely quiet and at 70-75 MPH in cross winds they hold the road magnificently.

The shuddering, vibrations, and looseness are gone at all speeds. My van drives like a totally different vehicle.

We'll see how they do on the dirt and snow soon enough and how they hold up over time, but so far I am very happy with them. The van is so much quieter and more refined. It turns out my drivetrain is pretty well-aligned after all.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
The van is so much quieter and more refined. It turns out my drivetrain is pretty well-aligned after all.

After reading your book again last weekend, I think we can say the same about you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
joetiger wrote:
The van is so much quieter and more refined. It turns out my drivetrain is pretty well-aligned after all.

After reading your book again last weekend, I think we can say the same about you...

Ha! Truth...

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

With arguably more life-changing events than anybody should have to endure in a calendar year, I had to take some time off from the forum to get a new business up and running and deal with myriad other non-Vanagon issues. However, I have found some time to do stuff here and there so thought I'd revive my thread with a photo dump.

I hit a few more Red Rocks shows before the summer ended and gave some Louisiana guests the full Vanagon tailgate experience.

...and another cold one in October.

I participated in the Louisiana Book Festival in Baton Rouge in October and drove the van down.

The State Park in Childress, TX was closed, so I overnighted in this creepy ass motel.

I did a little book tour as well and stopped at several places that appeared in Vanagon to Louisiana including Mike's gas station in Douglasville, TX, home of the Best Fried Catfish in The World.

Stopped by one of my old favorite haunts in Shreveport. It was a bit more rustic than I recalled.

World Famous Lasyone's Meat Pie Kitchen in Natchitoches, where I did a little book thing at an antique store/art gallery downtown.

At Lea's Lunchroom in LeCompte, I got to sign a few books and talk with some fine local folks.

Typical Louisiana parking...Vanagon surrounded by massive pickups

In New Orleans, the common Mardi Gras Bead Tree

Sunrise in the south.

Prior to the book fest, I stopped by Mecca for a quick photo.

...and the bar where I worked back in my LSU days.

The Book Fair was downtown, in the shadow of Huey Long's monument to himself, the tallest State Capitol in the US.

The Fair was fun, and not a small thing--20,000 people were there. I met a lot of nice people, reconnected with old friends, and sold a case of books.

The van ran flawlessly for that entire trip to Louisiana. Not a single hiccup. Unreal.

Back in Denver, the diesel driving school biz started to thrive.

Here, we're loading 80,000 lbs of stone onto a flatbed for a run up to Loveland Pass.

The Pigpen mobile office during parking maneuver training.

...which brings us to last weekend. I've been driving my R32 too much.

I decided to get out of town for a little winter camping. I went to Jackson Lake, an hour northeast of Denver, and had the place completely to myself.

Leftover red beans and rice heated in my little dutch oven...Delicious and easy winter camping food. (But it was too windy to run my little stove outside.)

It was cold, but my chinese diesel heater was up to the task. It was 17 outside and 55 in the van throughout the night. The heater did make some new, weird whooshing noises--I wonder if there's something clogging the intake. I can't believe this heater has lasted five years so far.

Sunrise through the side window, which did a weird optic thing to the light.

All was peaceful until the sun came up fully, then it was like Red Dawn out there--gunfire of all kinds in every direction. And, in a thicket just south of my campsite, two guys with chainsaws went to work. Chainsaws and gunfire--not the zen morning I'd hoped for.

Carmine was not pleased.

We decided to exit. On the way out, I lost power steering and my coolant temp went skyward...I'd lost the accessory belt. A pebble had somehow wedged into the PS pulley and sent the belt who-knows-where. Luckily I had a spare and changed it quickly, but we decided to head home.

My winter list consists of front brakes, a new power steering rack (I'll explain later,) diesel heater noises, rear bearing re-grease, a different subwoofer, again, and whatever else comes up. Cheers!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I'm reading a book called The Vagabond's Way by Rolf Potts. It basically browbeats you daily into traveling. This passage caught my eye:

It's a fun book. Good winter reading to keep me motivated.

In other news, I traded my Westy mattress for a wider GL one for the back deck. My van has been outfitted for solo travel for some time, but I have a new friend (and her dog) who wants to join Carmine and me. It's a good problem to have. Smile

Discarded the giant space-eating subwoofer and amp.

I threw one of these under the back bench, a little powered 6-inch, and it sounds WAY better. And it was on clearance for $60.

I finally got around to replacing the dirty, foul, leaking injectors with some rebuilt Bosch ones. They made a world of difference in acceleration.

I also ordered a new PS rack from Van Cafe. My rack is old and the teflon seal on the drivers side is broken--it clunks horribly. I HAD planned on that being the next job.

Until this past weekend.

Coming out of a parking lot in Estes Park, I heard and nasty grating noise when I released the clutch in first. All other gears grabbed fine, and the shifting is fine. I'm assuming (hoping, praying) that I've got a bad throwout or pilot bearing. I made it back home without issue.

But I also noticed some blue smoke and much lower-than-usual oil pressure on this trip. I knew this day was coming. The bottom end is the only thing I haven't replaced or rebuilt. I think the rings are shot. The oil is VERY gasoline-smelling.

So, it's looking like I'll probably drop the trans and engine for the fourth (I think?) time and finally replace the bottom end. I have a line on a NOS motor that might fit the bill.

But do I do the clutch job now, so I can continue to drive the van, and take my time finding a replacement motor and treat that as a separate project?

I'd really rather do it all at once, but I can't have the van sitting in a borrowed garage for an extended period.

It's all so much more complicated when I'm stealing space to do van work.

Onward!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Congrats on the new in-van travel-partner!
Well this sure puts the heat on.... to get it fixed, right?

I'm in a similar bind, the looming van season, and engine coming out (today).
Good luck.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Congrats on the new in-van travel-partner!
Well this sure puts the heat on.... to get it fixed, right?

I'm in a similar bind, the looming van season, and engine coming out (today).
Good luck.

Thanks! She had her first co-pilot experience over the weekend and loved it, so yes--I'm feeling a little self-imposed pressure to get everything dialed in as much as possible.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I'd really rather do it all at once, but I can't have the van sitting in a borrowed garage for an extended period.

Onward!

I found a solution to my workspace issues, which seems obvious in retrospect:

I rented a little house with a lovely carport and (tears of joy) a garage. Excited to be departing Divorce Acres Apartments in two weeks!

...but I need the van to help with the move so the clutch job is a priority and will happen this weekend. I hope.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Onward!

I found a solution to my workspace issues, which seems obvious in retrospect:

I rented a little house with a lovely carport and (tears of joy) a garage. Excited to be departing Divorce Acres Apartments in two weeks!

...but I need the van to help with the move so the clutch job is a priority and will happen this weekend. I hope.

Now you're talking!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Ordered a clutch kit, cleared the calendar (except one meeting) and found a nice spot at the office for a full day of work on a bluebird Colorado Friday.

First step, crawl around under there and check everything out, see where I'm gonna start.

But damn, the boot on that CV joint looks crusty. Let's give it a jiggle.

Link

Busted axle.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

That's one of those "fat axles".
Granny is tough on axles, but perhaps less stern than if you had a locker.
So the fat axle is kind of like a fuse that could protect the spider gears.

But then driving (unknown?) with one axle broken relies upon your ZF clutches to put all of the torque to the other axle.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

But then driving (unknown?) with one axle broken relies upon your ZF clutches to put all of the torque to the other axle.

I was thinking the same thing. I know I've put 70 miles on it since I felt the grinding and acceleration weirdness, getting down the mountains from Estes Park to Denver.

I have a spare CV in my emergency kit, but I'm kicking myself a little bit for discarding a pile of axles when I was, uh, "exiled" from my former Chateau.

Autozone has a $100 garbage axle right down the street.

Before anybody starts casting stones about terrible chinese axles:

I need the van for the next two weeks.

The engine and trans are coming out soon after.

Perhaps this will be a fun experiment to see if the crap axle lasts that long.

I'm adding new Van Cafe axles/CV's (where needed) to the list; the boots are disintegrating on the other side as well.

And, I don't want to wait for parts--it's beautiful out there, I have the time, and I don't have to replace the clutch today! Gratitude!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Perhaps this will be a fun experiment to see if the crap axle lasts that long.

We all use our other vehicles with 350k on original axles to get around while we work on our Lobros every 30,000. Laughing
I bet the Autozones last a few van seasons.
Get it and go!

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

In my ongoing quest to prove to The Samba that Vanagon ownership and high IQ do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, I found the problem with my axle yesterday.

It wasn't broken. It was an axle from an automatic van. At some point, it over-articulated and popped the axle out of the CV joint on the transaxle side.

The retaining ring was just sitting up there, stuck to the output flange. Embarassed

And, what should have been an hour long job turned into multiple when I found that I'd lost all three of my triple-square sockets. This is likely a result of having my tools spread over at least three different locations.

I was about to take it off the stands and head to the parts store when our very own MtnHome came to the rescue and gave me a ride. Smile

Much appreciated, Carl!! Always great to hang out.

Back in business. I've gone through so many variations of axles over the years...I should probably pay more attention to what I'm installing.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

Equipped with a fully-operation drivetrain, I set about to enjoy this lovely Colorado Saturday.

I stopped by the office to move some stuff. I put it in reverse and suddenly, the entire shifter turned to mush. Very strange behavior.

Peering underneath, I spotted the issue.

(also behold that shiny new chinese axle.)

At least I was at the office, it was beautiful outside, and I had all Saturday morning to stare at it and wonder how I was going to get the van back to my apartment under its own power.

I unbolted the bracket for a better look. Selector cup disintegration.

I went to my tire carrier emergency kit (which is looking a little empty) and grabbed a piece of rad hose.

(Purists please avert your eyes from the following photos of Shreveport engineering.)

With a little silicone spray and a lot of cursing, I slid a chunk onto the cup.

Everybody bags on screw clamps, but they come in handy in all kinds of ways.

Good enough to get home. I shifted with the slowest, most deliberate, most delicate manner I could manage. And, for what its worth, the shifting was way more precise. Smile

Van Cafe kit ordered.

'Tis the season to break as many things as possible and fix them before summer!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

I dunno about replacing that. That is probably way more durable. My boot is definitely less than 5k miles and it's split. Kind of dumb they're so flimsy.

If it shifts well that looks like a solid repair to me.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reviving a Syncro Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I dunno about replacing that. That is probably way more durable. My boot is definitely less than 5k miles and it's split. Kind of dumb they're so flimsy.

If it shifts well that looks like a solid repair to me.

Thanks! The part that disintegrated is the metal cup. I think the hose works as a quick fix but it will get loose and more pliant with constant use.

I ordered the billet kit from Van Cafe, might as well replace it all.

https://vancafe.com/copy-of-shift-linkage-repair-kit/

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: