Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Great updates! And progress!
I feel your pain on all of it. I started with a pile of 20 heads, and have it down to 8. Cracks between seats, broken guide bosses, cracked plug threads, and broken fins. Might I ask what you are using to cut the seat angles? And what brand pilot reamer did you go with?
I did new guides and used this reamer from cylinderheadsupply, and I am not happy with it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ended up with this expandable diamond hone to work the guides that were still coming out tight

I've been using a Neway style cutter and while the seat and contact looks good, I'm not getting a great seal. More practice needed I suppose

Nice work pulling all the studs. It's the little details..
I may send a case to him for treatment. May I ask why you decided to not try the DIY case treatment?
And happy belated birthday!
SD

Thanks Seth! Really appreciate your 2 cents! Like minded! I actually was going to write a thread on that. I did a set of single port heads that I am installing on a 1600 I will exchange for the 2127 in the 70 Bug. Probably get around to writing it up this coming weekend.

The short answer. Neway 15, 31, 46, & 60 seat cutters. All cut by hand. I like to feel the cut.

A HSS 6 inch long, 7mm spiral bladed reamer. In conjunction with my drill. Dry, in for a second, back out to clear the debris. Back in, out, you get the drill! Drilled from the spring side.

Guides were from Wolfsburg West. Placed the head in the oven. Set oven to 300 degrees. Baked for 20 minutes. Removed and placed onto granite countertop. Froze the guides in the freezer for a few hours. Removed them and dropped them into the hot head. If they did not go all the way in, I hit them with a hammer and block of maple.

Let them cool over night. Next day reamed them. Flipped the head over and cut the seats. 3angles. Rubbed some 30W oil on the valve shaft. Applied a tiny dab of valve seat compound to the valve edge and dropped it into its spot. Suction cupped stick, spun by hand, then lift, turn the valve 30 degrees and back onto the seat to be lapped, back up, rotate, lap, till a full grayish area forms all the way around the seat and the valve.

Then test with ATF. Grease a plexiglass plate and stick it onto the combustion chamber. Install a spark plug. Squirt in ATF with a syringe until full. Wait several minutes and look for leaks!

That was the short answer! Oh, and years of doing similar valve jobs on all kinds of cars!

PM me or call me with any questions. I think you got my number!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

For future reference, you don't need to press off the end casting to install seamless axle boots.
Invert the boot and warm it in the sun on a hot day, then lube up the bell end. It will stretch over. Then un-invert it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

For future reference, you don't need to press off the end casting to install seamless axle boots.
Invert the boot and warm it in the sun on a hot day, then lube up the bell end. It will stretch over. Then un-invert it.

Yep, that’s what I have done for years. The last set of boots tore. So I ordered another set. Those tore as well. So instead of trying again, the easy way, I pressed the hub off. Super simple to do and I had the opportunity to clean the rust away, which was lurking down in the joint!

I told Scott at MCM about the boot issue. He said that happens with the more expensive boots. Followed with “the Empi boots do not tear!”. Blew me out of the water! So, I got the Empi boots AND removed the end castings! But now I know it is all good!

Thanks for looking in! Appreciate the help!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Hey, JIMBO

Thanks for the short and quick Valve seating processes explanation. I actually understood it all. Motor building is on my list. Someday.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Thanks for the detail photos of your head and case work.

My workbench is just as cluttered as yours.

Your case appears to be for a Karmann Ghia, due to the tapped hole in the boss beneath the oil filler for the Ghia's ground strap attachment.

You are welcome! It is always a challenge taking photos as I work. I like to “get into it”, but the camera breaks up the routine. I just glad it came across as coherent!

Yes! My work bench is actually my Delta Unisaw. It doubles as a workbench, or catch all!

Thanks for the info on the case. I stared at that for awhile scratching my head. I just figured I was not remembering things correctly.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

MACJELLY58 wrote:
Hey, JIMBO

Thanks for the short and quick Valve seating processes explanation. I actually understood it all. Motor building is on my list. Someday.

You are welcome Jellyman!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Good to see an update Jim. Can't believe your wife lets you use the oven. (Maybe she does not know yet) Every time i try that or the dishwasher the after smell of baked oil/grease gives me away. Smile

Looking forward to seeing you drive your chassis around. That is the one think with my bug i wish i had done. I was too lazy to rig the steering wheel...

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Good to see an update Jim. Can't believe your wife lets you use the oven. (Maybe she does not know yet) Every time i try that or the dishwasher the after smell of baked oil/grease gives me away. Smile

Looking forward to seeing you drive your chassis around. That is the one think with my bug i wish i had done. I was too lazy to rig the steering wheel...

Believe it my friend. She does NOT allow me to use it. I use it when she is no where around! You know the saying, “Better to ask for forgiveness than permission!” But in my defense, those heads are SUPER CLEAN! Sand blasted, then washed in Purple Power, then washed again after the guides were removed! Just smelled like hot metal in the house. So, I opened up all the doors and windows for a few hours, then shut them. No evidence, except for that picture!

I am looking forward to driving the chassis around! Been a really long time since I had one to drive. The yellow 70 Bug, back in 2019 was the last one! The drive takes me back to being 7 and rolling down the big asphalt hill next to the house I grew up in, on my skate board! There were 4 boys on the same block as I, all of us between 6 - 9. We all played together on team sports and all summer long! Racing down that hill (20 times bickering about who won) was a typical day! Loved it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Last day of vacation is today! I now have to return to full time work. No fun.

Anyways, got some more done on the Bug. Started in on the 36 heads. Installed the new valves into the first head.

Then I pulled point a set of spark plugs, gapped them, smeared some copper antifreeze on the threads and installed them.

I then greased up an acrylic insert plate to calculate the chamber size and to test the seal of the valves.

I do not see any ATF running through!

Now, in the infamous words of Mario & Luigi, “Let’s do it again!”

Onto the other head! Looks like one intake valve did not seal 100%.

So, I removed that intake valve, relapped it, reassembled it and retested it. All good!

After that victory I swung my attention to the swing plates end caps! I had to remove them to gain access to the torsion bar. The bar had rust bonded to the arm and I had to press them out of the arm. No small feat! But now, I have to replace the steel plug, which is larger in diameter than both ends of the assembly. What to do?

Figured they had to be a “press fit”. So I went about making the old disc, whole again. Mainly because I did not want to cut a perfect circle and because I did not have the proper gauge of steel sheeting.

Here is the end the tube which the plug is installed into. Notice there is a groove, machined within the side of that opening!

I then set the old disc out on some copper backer and welded together the cuts. Thus making the disc whole once again. Then I had to grind the welds down.

Then checked it against the housing end.

Perfect size! I then grabbed a socket, placed it big end up, set the steel disc on it so that it was centered and then, with the ball end of a 24oz hammer, hit it dead center, a few times! Followed that up with my trusty large beating bar, imparting more deformity, then again with the ball of the hammers, 16oz and 24oz.

Perfect! Crown up!

I then took my large bar and smacked the crown down, slowly. Checking at each hit, the alignment between the disc and the housing. Until….

It was flat!

I then repeated this process onto the other one and painted that both discs black!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice work on the spring plate caps. I have wondered how folks fix those. Now I know.

The pic of you kneeling on the floor makes my knees hurt.
As a suggestion, get yourself some knee pads. Or you may find yourself needing surgery in the future. It's not fun to limp around all day. Even after surgery. Crying or Very sad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Nice work on the spring plate caps. I have wondered how folks fix those. Now I know.

The pic of you kneeling on the floor makes my knees hurt.
As a suggestion, get yourself some knee pads. Or you may find yourself needing surgery in the future. It's not fun to limp around all day. Even after surgery. Crying or Very sad

Thanks Rusty! Love that you are concerned with my welfare! Awesome! My knees are always protected. My grandfather had it his way when I was very young. Knee pads or a foam pad was mandatory!

In the picture my knee is holding the plate so that my hands can each perform a task. I cannot wear a knee pad while clamping something down, like that. There is just no feeling.

I like using the floaty mats for children when they are learning to swim. They have a handle hole for grabbing onto, they are comfortable to use. No sweating on the back of the knee! That’s a big one because using them when we lay floors for more than 5 days, knee pads get to moist and start rubbing, leaving a sore spot on the back of the joint! So floaty things for me, almost every time! And they are super cheap.

Funny enough. The pool supplier that I purchase those from, during Covid, ran out of those floaty things! Apparently there was a mad rush for them, since all those kids were now at home! I ended up buying a full size pool float that rolls up. A big giant foam mat, twice as thick. I cut this up into 12 x 24 sections. Still using them, because I had 6 of them!

Today I am trying to get the spring plates on! Let’s see what I can get done!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Good that you are taking care of those knees. I didn't, and am now paying the price of ignoring all those truckers that warned me not to jump out of their trailers years ago. Plus MX racing and extreme downhill skiing didn't do me any favors.

I know it's hot and uncomfortable there. But, I wear Carhartt double front britches when I work at the family ranch most weekends.
The Carhartt's have knee pockets that allow me to insert thick dense foam pads to protect my knees. No sweating when the pants are used. there's none of those annoying straps around the back of my knees.

Carry on. Sorry for the little sideline.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Like I previously stated. Thank you for watching out for my welfare! I am always good with that! My grandfather would be happy, finally smiling from above! He has been gone 2 weeks and I have thought of him passing everyday! It was good to be reminded of his wisdom! Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice update Jimbo. You have clearly done a valve job or two in your time. The plug replacement on the spring plates is a golden example of how-to-get-it-done-with-what-you-have ingenuity. I appreciate you taking the time to photograph and share these steps in your restoration journey. Keep 'em coming Sensei.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
Nice update Jimbo. You have clearly done a valve job or two in your time. The plug replacement on the spring plates is a golden example of how-to-get-it-done-with-what-you-have ingenuity. I appreciate you taking the time to photograph and share these steps in your restoration journey. Keep 'em coming Sensei.

Thanks for the compliments! Yep! It is what is here and within reach! I stopped and thought about fabricating up the correct tool. But that would end up taking longer than the job! So I went for it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Update time! Busy weekend! Plus last day of vacation.

Wire wheeled, primed and painted the torsion bars.

Then I had to go find the donuts for the torsion plates. Bought these a few years back, so they were buried deep! While I was looking for those, I stumbled onto the old door seal. Want to post up the detail for later.

I then started on the install of the spring plate. Finally another piece is going back onto the car! Can not teel you how good it feels!

Pulled out the Silicone Paste. This is a great product for rubber parts as it does not ruin them, plus it is silicone, so it lubricates as well! No squeak, squeak, squeak, going down the road!

Then into the tube it goes! Pulled out the Angle finder to set the plate. Thinking it was 28 degrees.

I then pulled out one of my I beam Jorgy's and lifted the plate up past the rest shelf, by about 1/8 of an inch. Wood blocks to keep from damaging the paint.

Then slide on the next donut and slathered it up.

Slathered up the cover where the bushing goes as well.

Installed the cover over the snout and wiggled it into place. Then installed the four bolts I had with it. (I think those are the incorrect washers, so later I will need to install the correct ones).

Once everything was snug, I removed the plate clamp.

Jack removed. All good. Onto the other side!

Lubed up the donut & greased up the splines.

Then into the plate! This is SO EXCITING! Love it going back together!

Assembley ready to be installed!

Place a dab of grease.

Paste up the outside of the donut!

Nice!

Wipe the dust off of the tube opening and lube it up.

Then stick the spring plate assembly into the tube. Check the plate with the Angle Finder and push it into the splines.

Then, since the other side is assembled, you have to knock this side in with some severe power, to compress and push the dab of grease into both splined areas! A pice of wood and the 32 ounce hammer work good!

Then get it as close to the housing as you can without touching the two together. Like this.

Next up is lubing up the outer cover. cleaning the bolts. Setting the plate into place. And then preloading the torsion bar. Time for the clamp!

Damn it! I forgot to clean the threads on this side to, BEFORE I lubed it all up. So, I threw some tape down to keep the shit out of the bushing area and tapped the 4 holes.

Cover back on, four bolts in and snug, with the correct washers. Then I shot some black on them.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

I continued on for a bit more. I started to install the cables. Found the cables I ordered and pulled them out. Found the old cables I saved and pulled them out, to compare.

Slightly different length cable sheathing on the ebrake cables.

By 5 1/4"! Hope that does not bite me in the ass down the road!

Installed both ebrake cables. Lots of grease was applied while feeding them into the tubing.

Then onto the clutch cable.

Again, lots of grease!

Ready for the pedal assembly. I have to go find it.

Then stuck the choke cable in.

Heater cable. I always cut the plastic off of them. Because they seem to get lodged, easily, within the tubing. Makes for a hard install next time!

Down into the heater knob tube.

I tied a wire tie to the end, so I can pull it back up to install the knob later. Really just wanted to see if my tubing repairs worked! Remember those?

There they are!

I will finish this portion up later. Enjoy!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Nice!

i like how having all of the stuff sticking out everywhere really makes it look like youre up to something. big visual steps are great!

happy belated birthday dude
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Parts going onto the pan. What a feeling that must be. Also nice tutorial on the end cap process.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
Nice!

i like how having all of the stuff sticking out everywhere really makes it look like youre up to something. big visual steps are great!

happy belated birthday dude

For some reason, while reading your post, Sherlock Holmes came to mind! “The Bug is afoot!” Hope that makes and sounds as I perceive it to be!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 86 of 89

Jump to: