Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
Today’s dumb question: Emptied the giant can of hardware and trying to get organized…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is some next level organization. You have a shop? or sell them?

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

^^ I agree with Ev- I should have written that too- I install all of the mounting bolts and then partially tight them as it sometimes requires some finessing to get all the bolts installed. Likely as bumper has been ever so slightly tweaked over the years and isn't factory perfect. Splash pans on rear bumper are an extra level of fun! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

I didn't straighten bumper - hell, why start straightening things now? - but I did have some fun getting the tube to go back on; I suspect the blade flexed inward a half-inch once the bolts were all off. I ended up using a longer 8mm bolt (bigger head tho) on one side, and then found an 8mm case stud rambling around in those drawers; used it on the other side with double nuts on the bumper side. Tightened both setups slowly to draw tube and blade together. Still need a turn or two more, but it went ok. I can tell you that without a big vise or friend, there is no real way to hold a bumper down, stretch it wider, AND attach a nut in the tube's bottom. So improvise it was.

Don.ville, those drawers are the last of my friend's 30-year stash; Lewis raced and worked on VWs from 62 or so, and I bought all his stuff when he left Texas in the 90s. Much of it was in coffee cans - he knew what was in where, but took me a while... I have a small pile of Dorn and other odd bolts I need to get to new owners some day. I used all Kamax when I used original hardware.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

What’s the thread size and pitch for lug bolts please
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
What’s the thread size and pitch for lug bolts please

M14x1.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know if bay 68-70 drums/brakes will fit a 64-67 split bus?

I saw someone post they are different, but I always thought that the drums/shoes/nut was the same.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy person's stupid Split Bus questions thread Reply with quote

Stocknazi wrote:
Does anyone know if bay 68-70 drums/brakes will fit a 64-67 split bus?

I saw someone post they are different, but I always thought that the drums/shoes/nut was the same.

fronts or rears?

The fronts have a different wheel seal between the two and the bay rears have an extra lip because the backing plates are different.

The shoes and cylinders are the same.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: