Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Hi,
Congratulations on your 68 Ghia Vert.
Interestingly, I have a model year 68 owners manual that says wheels that year are 4's, but in the Samba Technical section is a model year 68 that says wheels are 4.5's. So 68 was the change over year.

My 68 has all 5 of its original 4.5 wheels. I bought 165s. It is a very tight fit for the spare, but keeping the pressure down helps. There are two metal brackets welded on the sides to cushion the spare and bending those in a bit also helps give a little extra room.

I try to keep both my Ghia's as original as I can. I have 4.5 wheels and 165s on both cars and both are stock height. I couldn't tell you what can or can't fit but others here have that information. If you do a search in this forum, there are several threads on tire and wheel size.

Here's one thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293605&highlight=tire+size

Here's a list of threads,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jas0ncarr0ll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Among other projects this week, I installed a convertible boot. It looks fantastic. It was generously passed on to me by another Ghia Cabriolet owner who found an original for her 63 Pacific Blue Cabriolet. Thank you Diane. Regatta really appreciates your gift.

It had never even had the snaps installed but while in storage, a mouse chewed a hole in it which I'm planning to repair. It's quite snug even though I gave it all the slack I could while installing the snaps. The original would have been black with white piping so this one looks correct. It's canvas though - the original would have been vinyl with white piping.
I hope to some day find an original boot.

Love the boot! I want a White Canvas one with Navy Blue piping. I'm on the hunt and haven't had much luck the past few days. I struck out on JBugs and M&T. Thanks for the reply on your wheel setup! Cool Thumbs Up
2018 VW Passat SE (2.0T)

Previously Owned:
2016 VW Passat V6 SEL (3.6L)
2009 Audi A6 Quattro (4.2)
2005 Audi A6 Quattro (4.2)
2003 VW Passat W8 4MOTION (4.0L)
2001 VW Passat V6 GLX (2.8L)
1994 VW Jetta VR6 GLX (2.8L)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

jas0ncarr0ll wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Among other projects this week, I installed a convertible boot. It looks fantastic. It was generously passed on to me by another Ghia Cabriolet owner who found an original for her 63 Pacific Blue Cabriolet. Thank you Diane. Regatta really appreciates your gift.

It had never even had the snaps installed but while in storage, a mouse chewed a hole in it which I'm planning to repair. It's quite snug even though I gave it all the slack I could while installing the snaps. The original would have been black with white piping so this one looks correct. It's canvas though - the original would have been vinyl with white piping.
I hope to some day find an original boot.

Love the boot! I want a White Canvas one with Navy Blue piping. I'm on the hunt and haven't had much luck the past few days. I struck out on JBugs and M&T. Thanks for the reply on your wheel setup! Cool Thumbs Up

Hi Jay,
Welcome to the Ghia Forum.. Wow, I didn't connect your previous post with the beautiful 68 that was on EBay a few weeks ago. I'm glad to see the car stayed in New England. I found my 68 while perusing eBay as well and what a coincidence that they both are from the north east. I hope you will start a thread about your car so that we can read about it's history and see lots more pictures of it. We're not so far apart so hopefully our cars can meet in person someday.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marc,
Applause Popcorn
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I repaired the Heat Exchangers. Overall all, they are in really nice shape except for where the muffler attaches which had a lot of rust. One had several holes. I bought the short repair pipes from JBUGS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The plan was to avoid any welding. Using a drum sanding bit, I cleaned out the inside of the pipe where the short repair pipe will go. The new repair sections were too large and I ended up grinding them down just enough to get a tight fit. I then used Versachem Muffler Weld around the new repair pipe and hammered it in. Also gave the junction a good coat of the stuff. I have no experience with this product but it seems like it should do the job.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Getting behind on posting my progress. I got another new hip 2 weeks ago but it hasn't slowed me down any more than usual except I'm falling behind on posting.

Most of the painting I needed to do is done. I would prefer to keep everything looking original, not restored, but I also want to protect and preserve the car's condition so some painting was needed.
I tried to just clean the intake manifold but the old paint was just flaking off.

I took it all down to bare metal and gave it a few coats of Duplicolor New Ford Gray Engine Spray Paint. Like KingKarmann has posted, it's a near perfect match to the original.

The heat exchangers looked pretty bad as well so I had no choice but to strip and paint them.

Repainted all the engine tins except for the firewall tin and the Fan Shroud which didn't need it. The rest of the pieces had chipped paint and some surface rust in places so I used Rust Oleum High Heat Ultra, Semi Gloss rated for up to 1200 degrees. It's the best color match I could find in high heat paint.

The car still has all it's original Tar Boards but they looked terrible. It looked like something had gotten splashed all over them but that doesn't make much sense as I see no signs of any kind of spill anywhere else in the engine compartment. Has anyone else seen tar boards look like this? It's not a very pretty sight!

I was able to clean them up though. I sprayed some GUNK Original engine cleaner into a jar. I dipped a denture brush into the GUNK and applied it to the tar boards in small areas. I let it sit for about 2 minutes and then scrubbed it with the brush. The GUNK acted on the tar as if it was engine grease. After brushing, I wiped off the black residue on the surfacr with lots of paper towels. Then followed up with Simple Green and rags. Worked great.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Installed a new Torque Converter Seal. Last summer, the car had a slow ATF fluid drip which is not surprising as it still had the original torque converter seal from the factory. It goes on very tight and needs to be peened in several places to keep it from coming off. I greased both surfaces to avoid damaging the inside surface of the seal. I would get it completely seated but these go on so tight that before I could get my self in position to peen it, it would slide back off on it's own. So I cleaned off all the grease and that helped. I've read several threads where these leak after replacement so I hope that won't be the case.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Cleaned up and rebuilt the autostick oil pump which is a dual pump. The two rubber seals in the thick steel plate that divides the two halves were not leaking but it made sense to change them after 55 years. There was a pretty good ATF leak from the ATF side of the pump.

Getting the old paper seals off was time consuming. There must be an easier way to do this but I resorted to slowly and carefully scrapping the paper seals away with a Stanley blade. The steel plate was easier but the other side was aluminum and I had to go slow to avoid scratching the soft metal.

Another step forward. It looks a lot better.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Very nice detail work Marc.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

Nice work indeed.👍
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

mouse action wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

Nice work indeed.👍

Thanks. Looking forward to getting it back on the road and praying that I didn't mess something up. Pray

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

I've really fallen behind with posting progress.
I think my worst leak turned out to be the base of the generator stand. It was clear from the pulley tin that the oil was coming from the right side.

I had noticed part of the thin paper gasket between the generator stand and the case was hanging out but I didn't realize it was this bad until I took the stand off. Strange but seems like a little bit of sloppy work from the factory.

Most of the car and engine still have most their original parts including the ground strap which had a little fraying on the edges due to a clip that had been rubbing. It cleaned up nicely and I soldered the little bit of damage.

I reused the same VW baffle which since it's likely original? Spent over an hour cleaning it up as those thin paper gaskets on both sides were stuck on really well like they had been glued on?

A lot of the paint on the oil filler and breather tube was coming off in my hands as I cleaned it so it got a new coat of paint, along with a new grommet and rubber breather tip which came with the end already slit open. I was so looking forward to making the slit myself!! Laughing

Finally time to put all the cooling tins, shroud, generator, and new muffler back on and set a date to put the engine back into the car.

Even though this is an April 68 build, it had originally had the spade lug supposedly "67 only" generator which was missing. I found a January 68 generator and had it rebuilt locally and now I finally get to see it installed and oriented properly (I received the car with a new generator and it was 90 degrees off). I ended up refinishing all of the tin except the fan shroud which thankfully was in great shape.

I had picked up a new old stock muffler made in Mexico back when I was too green to know better! Embarassed
After spending several hours trying to install it, I decided to start over with a better muffler. I ended up going with a Dansk/Jopex Heavy duty German made muffler. As soon as I took it out of the box, it clearly was a much better quality muffler. Everything lined up perfectly with only one exception - I had a little bit of trouble lining up the right side floating housing to the back of the heat exchanger. At first it was off by a lot. The top hole in the floating housing was hanging up on the fat section of the flange going to the head. I was able to get a flat screwdriver between the hole and the pipe near the flange to gain some extra movement. In the end it was not perfect but I was able to get the band clamp on. I'm very satisfied with it.

A little bit of unfinished business in the engine compartment. I had some surface rust where the battery sits. fortunately there was no rust through. After some clean up with a wire wheel and a few treatments of phosphoric acid, I gave it a few coats of paint. Installed a new engine deck seal and gave everything got a good wash and polish. Installed the Torque converter and went through my check list and the day I've been looking forward to finally arrived.

The plan all along was for my son to help me put the engine back in but after an unplanned hip replacement five weeks ago, I needed help picking up the engine and placing it on the ground so my son-in-law helped us also.

It was a first time for all 3 of us so we took our time. It took us a little over 2 hours but if I had to do it again, tomorrow, I think we could easily do it again in half that time. We had a difficult time trying to get the first top bolt to line up but it was mostly just lack of experience.

We had a great time doing this together and made some life long memories. Now that it's back in, I think I will likely some day (not anytime soon) drop the engine in my 71 and give it a similar clean up.
This week, I'll start hooking everything back up and keep my fingers crossed that I didn't screw anything up! Rolling Eyes

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

These are the passions that keep us going 😎
Bravo! Applause Applause

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Nice detail work Marc.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
These are the passions that keep us going 😎
Bravo! Applause Applause

Braukuche wrote:
Nice detail work Marc.

Thanks guys.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Last edited by Marcdeb on Mon May 22, 2023 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Nice work Applause Applause and excellent documentation.
75 Baywindow
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Nice job! Looking great
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

restocal63 wrote:
Nice work Applause Applause and excellent documentation.

obus wrote:
Nice job! Looking great

Thank you.
I spent several hours under the car today bolting the torque converter to the flex plate among other things to finish up under the car. I hope do a short test drive before the weekend, or at least try to start it?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Engine finally back in and it's a good news / bad news scenario. I love the nice clean engine compartment and even the underside. For as much as I've read up on everything and took my time, I still goofed up the plug wires putting it back together. When I tried to start the engine it would fire every few seconds but then get a weird knock or kick. I checked the plug wires and sure enough, they were all off by one position. Embarassed I Had left all the wires on the distributor cap and labeled them but my notes were flawed! Rolling Eyes I should have paid attention to the mark on the distributer. Anyway, took them all off and started over and the engine fired up fine. I was glad to know that the rebuild spade lug Generator was working. I purposely have not removed the fuel pump or distributor yet as I wanted to avoid having too many variables when starting back up, but they will eventually get pulled and cleaned.
Before:

Now:

Now for the bad. After letting the engine run for 3 minutes, I shut it off knowing I would have to top off the ATF fluid. When I came back 45 minutes later, I had a quarter size puddle of ATF fluid on the floor below the opening in the bell housing. I suspect the new Torque Converter Seal is leaking. I've read several threads about new seals leaking. I don't know if it's my installation, or if these after market seals are inferior?
I posted a separate thread to get some ideas from some of the Autostick experts here.
I'm leaving town for a few days so when I get back I'll run it longer and see just how much of a leak I have. I hope I can drive it for the summer and then drop the engine again if needed. Maybe it will magically stop leaking??? Razz

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

mouse action
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Regatta Blue Karmann Ghia Vert 22,350 Original Miles Reply with quote

Marc,
As you heard,some problems just fix themselves 😉
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: