Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Idea is straight forward. A little lowered, “aero” in the front and baja in the rear, like a mullet. Ratty exterior but will not leak water and the rest of the car will be upgraded and functional. Go, stop, not leak water. Body is in fair condition as far as rust. Windshield channel is clean, rear 1/4 panels minimally rusted out, body acquired already baja hacked rear end. Motor focus is reliability/power/aftermarket/cost. 4 main areas of focus: Chassis, Interior, Exterior, Motor/Trans. Post will be edited as lists change.

To do
Running Boards
Tail Lights, 3rd brake, turn signals
New windshield - old is foggy
Window Seals - rear pop-outs?
Mechanical Window stuff
Door Stuff
Steering Column/wheel
Pass seat
seat mounts
pedal assembly
shifter bushings
seat belts
gauges
cage
Wiring: car side (classic gm because I have a new one) and motor side depends on swap
Pro Street Transaxle
Motor/adapter plate
Motor cage - after motor is set
air dam, fender arches

Done
Body off for floors and paint
Suspension: Fr- Topline, Empi (?) Strut Brace, Rr- Atomwerk Dual Static Springplates
Brakes: Discs all around, brake lines and master cylinder to match
Front Bumper
Rear Fenders cut
Wheels 15x8 Steels VW pattern
Headlights
Single Wiper modification
Hood struts

Last edited by cway83 on Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

I love this already. Rock and Roll Brother!

Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

I like where you're going with this!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Thank y'all very much. I'm spending time on it as parts roll in and trying to keep close to the list as an order of ops. Come end of January I can step into it like when I did the chassis work and finish up another major area of focus. Really once I get the motor/ECU sorted, everything else is pretty simple but lots of everything else.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

In no way do I mean this as a rude or flippant question, but why the camber plates? I'm not certain those have enough range to compensate for the positive camber you'll get from lifting via springs. That said, every little bit helps.

I'm following along closely. I love Supers and think they can be used perfectly well for offroad. I'm going to assume you were aware of Dust Buggy. Spencer was always quick to respond when I asked questions. It's only too bad he was killed in a car accident. Even still, you should look over the Dust Buggy FB page. He made both a strut tie bar and spindles that would be great for any offroad Super.

H2OSB
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
In no way do I mean this as a rude or flippant question, but why the camber plates? I'm not certain those have enough range to compensate for the positive camber you'll get from lifting via springs. That said, every little bit helps.

I'm following along closely. I love Supers and think they can be used perfectly well for offroad. I'm going to assume you were aware of Dust Buggy. Spencer was always quick to respond when I asked questions. It's only too bad he was killed in a car accident. Even still, you should look over the Dust Buggy FB page. He made both a strut tie bar and spindles that would be great for any offroad Super.

H2OSB

Actually this super is lowered about 2.5-3” all the way around. So for the front, the strut bearings can make up for what the eccentric control arm cannot. The rear is static drop plates from Atomwerk so factory camber is still the same
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Banana shaped hood springs to struts:

Replace and upgrade.

-First clip hinges from body (I did not have an attached hood so I skipped that. Take your hood off first if still in place.. then hinges.) Since I don’t have a picture, let’s imagine I removed the pin and spring from the set up in the most safe way possible. Where the spring attaches to the hinge, that hole will need to be opened up to accept the new bolt/nut fastening

The bottom mounting point is a tad bit more tricky to sort but if you like functional work arounds here you go. I used a cutoff wheel to take the head off of the river (side facing towards the outside of the car). Once the head has been taken off, I simply hit the mounting side with a hammer and some channel locks until the peg comes out. Now how to drill it out?? Well, it just so happens a gmc fuel line fits inside the mounting hole of the strut. Then run a bolt through that and through the factory mounting tab, which just so happens to be very close in size as the bolt through the fuel line/bushing. Washer, lock washer and nut, done.

Nice and smooth and QUIET operation.
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

I’ve been waiting 17yrs to give this a go.

Going from two..

To one

Super beetle wiper assembly

Super beetle: left, Scirocco: right
Plan: use bits from both to make one

Like this

The factory scirocco bracket has a second mounting position.. why? Question Idea
Rivets popped and tapped actuator bracket. These screws will not stay Phillips but for now it works.

Clearance top of scirocco bracket to clear super b cowl.

Now I drilled the spot welds from the original mounting bracket and it almost perfectly lines up with this bracket. Note this could be in the way of the wheel speed cable but I will not be using mine so it is ok. At this point I also drilled the hole in the cowl for the actuator spindle. Same size as stock.

Then I mounted the tab to the motor to more easy align and later tac into place

Currently it will not be welded into place until I get the action sorted, most likely after mid January, but all seems to be ok
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Resourceful! Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Thank you for documenting the wiper conversion! I've been holding onto a Scirocco wiper unit for years wondering if I could make it work on my 73!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040

Last edited by vwuberalles on Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Cute idea, but it really only works on cars with a relatively “square” windshield, meaning that the windshield is almost as tall as it is wide. The shorter height of the windshield will limit the length of the wiper blade, thus reducing the swept area. You will end up with a large areas in the upper corners that will not be cleared.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cute idea, but it really only works on cars with a relatively “square” windshield, meaning that the windshield is almost as tall as it is wide. The shorter height of the windshield will limit the length of the wiper blade, thus reducing the swept area. You will end up with a large areas in the upper corners that will not be cleared.

... so it will work LOL Laughing
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

If you want a good idea of maximum amount of swept area that will be covered, get a piece of string & a dry erase marker, make a loop in one end of the string & slip that over the wiper shaft. Then stretch the string straight up to the windshield gasket & tape/clip/hold it to your marker at that length , then keeping the string taut,draw an arc on the windshield. I’m pretty sure that a good 1/3rd of the windshield will not be cleared, a good portion of this will be in the driver’s line of sight.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

If you want a good idea of maximum amount of swept area that will be covered, get a piece of string & a dry erase marker, make a loop in one end of the string & slip that over the wiper shaft. Then stretch the string straight up to the windshield gasket & tape/clip/hold it to your marker at that length , then keeping the string taut,draw an arc on the windshield. I’m pretty sure that a good 1/3rd of the windshield will not be cleared, a good portion of this will be in the driver’s line of sight.

Sorry to put you through all that math brother. I should have used a "/s" in addition to the smiley face.

I do think though, that this particular build will involve some more creative ideas as it goes along, not all of which will be based on maximum efficiency but more on availability and a "let's see if this works" kind of attitude.

It's going to make a splash, in a "bad ass" sort of way I'm sure Cool Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

It is cute. Haven’t you seen the photos?
Y’know what makes it more cute? Rain-X. Honestly surprised you didn’t scoff at the bumper ! Hahaha
If anyone was going to make a comment I had my money on that it would have been the bumper. You fooled me Very Happy

The guys at the shop are gonna love this. Seriously though, if you don’t like it now, you are going to be very upset at what’s to come. This is all for shits and gigs yknow? Dream car. Did you see that patch work over the rear canc.. uh vent holes? What about the stock rear fenders clocked and hacked off to match the sun rotted fiberglass Baja bit on the back there? Also note, in the beginning I did say “go, stop, not leak water,” or something close.
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I did say 17yr inspiration, a car appeared in Dune Buggies and Hot VWs with a German look 2.6L TypeIV monster with a single wiper. Then, this car was printed in the January 2006 magazine of Dune Buggies and Hot VWs.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

cway83 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

It is cute. Haven’t you seen the photos?
Y’know what makes it more cute? Rain-X. Honestly surprised you didn’t scoff at the bumper ! Hahaha
If anyone was going to make a comment I had my money on that it would have been the bumper. You fooled me Very Happy

The guys at the shop are gonna love this. Seriously though, if you don’t like it now, you are going to be very upset at what’s to come. This is all for shits and gigs yknow? Dream car. Did you see that patch work over the rear canc.. uh vent holes? What about the stock rear fenders clocked and hacked off to match the sun rotted fiberglass Baja bit on the back there? Also note, in the beginning I did say “go, stop, not leak water,” or something close.

Eh, lighten up Francis, I wasn’t scoffing (have you seen any of my POSs?) but i remember when this was a trend & laughed at a bunch of “tuner” wannabes (yeah, that was about 20-25 years ago (at least they got the wipers to park in the full vertical position.)) when they couldn’t navigate the track in less than ideal conditions. RainEx ain’t gonna cut it if it’s anything other than precipitation… but very few around here get out in the rain, much less the crap I get into.

This pic does a remarkable job of showing what I was talking about.

cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

What’s a “tuner?”
cway83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

Single wiper conversion and completion as follows:
Mounting worked but the action did not as it was bumping the metal the would be directly under the windshield. Do I admit defeat and let the previous commenter with the particular open distaste for what people do with their cars win my build? That didn’t happen.

In the end the most simple fix was to only use the scirocco bracket and 1303 everything else. For the bracket (sorry for lack of picture for the mounting of the spindle) I welded in a washer to give me the correct bore size as the scirocco stuff is much beefier. This can be seen in the third photo. The first shows the final set up (electrical tape will be replaced with a metal hose clamp or similar to hold the unused wiper linkage but this will never be stressed or moved at all). And the second photo shows HOW YOU CAN SET YOUR RESTING POSITION ON YOUR WIPER IN CASE YOU WANT IT TO STICK STRAIGHT UP LIKE A RACE CAR..
….. Very Happy Very Happy

New bits are second hand corbeau seat and new bracket from corbeau that is a direct fit to factory super beetle with their own slider mechanism. Almost like hot butter fitting in. Put the Bugtech shifter in and stock steering wheel to get a feel. Plenty of head space and some interference with the door but I can live with it. Seat came at a good price, factory door.. door wins. With the seat fully back my wrist is just about at the top of the steering wheel and I am tall 181cm (5’11).
Also note that the driver window and vent assembly have been removed. Will get all windows and body seals before the glass goes back in. Perhaps a cleaning and clear coat to keep what’s left of the factory yellow for at least another 10 years. Sourced a windshield locally in the Dallas area.

It will be slow posting for a bit but I also started an Instagram for the build
cw_1303_kafer_

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 1303 Build - Track/Baja.. Traja Reply with quote

How did you strip the dash? I've done it before.....that's no easy task.

And a BugTech shifter. Nice

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: