Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICON VW pistons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Bought a set 94b's from Trevor.

Thank you Dan, I so stoked that dudes like you are getting in on these from the get go.

And thank you everyone for the interest. More releases on the way!

I like being wrong, as weird as that sounds, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

Schicken Sie es!

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Is there an ring option to run these with Nikasil plated aluminum cylinders "Nickies"?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

TXHCBeetle wrote:
Is there an ring option to run these with Nikasil plated aluminum cylinders "Nickies"?

the biggest thing on rings is staying away from a moly facing , or chrome. a stainless top ring with a PVD style coating (like what total seal offers) is the best way to go. I am reaching out to my contact over there and hopefully will have some part numbers for you shortly.

Nickies are awesome, but, because of the similar materials used they have similar expansion rates. you can run a forged piston ALOT tighter in a nikasil liner than in a steel liner (.0015" compared to .0025"),The pistons come already clearanced to .0025". that being said i would highly recommend putting line to line coating on the skirts instead of the standard M42 coating, its gets applied to 80% of the clearance and once the engine fires off and goes through a couple heat cycles the coating abrades to its perfect fit.
I know alot of folks are skeptical of this stuff but , I have run it on several of my own engines and couldn't have a higher opinion of it. not only will it help with the piston finding its perfect oil "wedge" but will also help spread the load across the skirt , which with the perfect oil film will actually lessen resistance on the skirt instead of increase it like one would naturally expect.

Line to Line is an Added cost, but we do it in house. what we need upon ordering is the bore dimension of your largest cylinder so we can coat the pistons to that value. If you have any questions about this please feel free call me here at UEM. 775-882-7790 extension 114.

I like being wrong, as weird as that sounds, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

Schicken Sie es!

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
TXHCBeetle wrote:

the biggest thing on rings is staying away from a moly facing , or chrome. a stainless top ring with a PVD style coating (like what total seal offers) is the best way to go. I am reaching out to my contact over there and hopefully will have some part numbers for you shortly.

Nickies are awesome, but, because of the similar materials used they have similar expansion rates. you can run a forged piston ALOT tighter in a nikasil liner than in a steel liner (.0015" compared to .0025"),The pistons come already clearanced to .0025". that being said i would highly recommend putting line to line coating on the skirts instead of the standard M42 coating, its gets applied to 80% of the clearance and once the engine fires off and goes through a couple heat cycles the coating abrades to its perfect fit.
I know alot of folks are skeptical of this stuff but , I have run it on several of my own engines and couldn't have a higher opinion of it. not only will it help with the piston finding its perfect oil "wedge" but will also help spread the load across the skirt , which with the perfect oil film will actually lessen resistance on the skirt instead of increase it like one would naturally expect.

Line to Line is an Added cost, but we do it in house. what we need upon ordering is the bore dimension of your largest cylinder so we can coat the pistons to that value. If you have any questions about this please feel free call me here at UEM. 775-882-7790 extension 114.

Thanks for that information. One thing I forgot to mention is that my cylinders are 95's, will you be offering custom piston diameters in the future?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

we do customs... unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive than a normal set

Schicken Sie es!

TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
we do customs... unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive than a normal set

Good news, and the additional cost is completely justified. I will be in contact when I'm ready. Thanks again!
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Are the pins offset? Seeing the arrow on top makes me think yes they are offset. How much they weigh would be nice to know also. Great to see someone is doing a 4032 piston. I am interested in a set for the Berg GBF crank carrillo rod 2387cc engine I am collecting parts for. Already have crank, rods and 94mm revmaster long cylinders.

Dan

The "pin" question has not been answered. Any update if the pin is off-set like the original VW pistion?
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Are the pins offset? Seeing the arrow on top makes me think yes they are offset. How much they weigh would be nice to know also. Great to see someone is doing a 4032 piston. I am interested in a set for the Berg GBF crank carrillo rod 2387cc engine I am collecting parts for. Already have crank, rods and 94mm revmaster long cylinders.

Dan

The "pin" question has not been answered. Any update if the pin is off-set like the original VW pistion?

Yes the pins are offset: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2599091

Currently awaiting the delivery of my 92mm B piston set. Cool
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

Trevor of Icon answered that question on page one on a 11:11am post.

Should be real soon b-man
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Dan

the pins ARE offset like factory pistons.

Schicken Sie es!

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

no accumulator groove? for the most part they look good, a little heavy, but that Should be able to be worked on. tool steel pins or?? dome thickness?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Anxious Anxious Anxious Anxious

Super stoked to see these IRL!

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Anxious Anxious Anxious Anxious

Super stoked to see these IRL!

Im bringing some to the Madera spring fling (not to sell but in case someone asks), but im thinking yours will show up before then bro, and since you cant come anyway that wont help Confused

Anyone else, If you plan on coming to the Madera spring fling, I will be there , likely with an ICON hat on, I drive a tan Fastback and it has an Icon sticker in the driver rear quarter window. I'll have a set with me to show.

Mark I have a long winded response for you... sorry , I will post up tomorrow.

Schicken Sie es!

SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Hmmmm....for most builds this looks like a pretty sweet alternative to custom ordering.
I'll reach out soon, my main interest would be a set of 94's with the so called "C" pin height.
Any plans for those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

SRP1 wrote:
Hmmmm....for most builds this looks like a pretty sweet alternative to custom ordering.
I'll reach out soon, my main interest would be a set of 94's with the so called "C" pin height.
Any plans for those?

Yes , they are planned, they will be part number IC10077. they just havent made it to engineering yet.

Schicken Sie es!

VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

I just wanted to post and let everyone know about the sources for these pistons.

Currently we are Available through these folks.

Dan Ruddock

TYPE E Motorsports (Brian E)

and CB performance.

94's C's are coming, almost finished in engineering.

and for you Class 11 guys we will have 85.5's shortly thereafter.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Schicken Sie es!

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
I just wanted to post and let everyone know about the sources for these pistons.

Currently we are Available through these folks.

Dan Ruddock

TYPE E Motorsports (Brian E)

and CB performance.

94's C's are coming, almost finished in engineering.

and for you Class 11 guys we will have 85.5's shortly thereafter.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

The 1600 eace guys are gonna love these! Classes like 11, 9, 1600, 5/16 ect.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

I found these on CB Perf website.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1015.htm

What ring material is included in the set?

Thanks,
Risk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

1.5, 1.5, 4.0mm , more traditional ringset readily available through most ring manufacturers.

top ring is a iron moly faced ring, second standard iron square face ring, and 3 piece oil control.

for everything but the highly boosted this is going to be all you need. for high boost turbo applications you want to get in contact with Total seal for a stainless top ring and go will their bedding grit they sell as on average a stainless ring has a hard time bedding to a soft iron cylinder like what is out there right now

Schicken Sie es!

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ICON VW pistons Reply with quote

Same as toyota 22re
Should be able to find lots of choices.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: