Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

So all new wiring installed all OK after much trouble shooting except

Cant find where to put Horn Ground wire into the column. Wiring diagram shows 2 brown wires coming from column, one for the hi/lo beam But I see no 2nd brown in the column harness. (there are 3 separate plugnconnectors going into column all wires appear used up)

My steering wheel has a black wire going into column housing.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

Ground path is through the steering column itself. There's a jumper wire across the steering coupler that takes it to horn ring under the wheel.
jehlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

i got that. The brown ground wire from the horn comes up in the firewall. If I touch it to the horn contacts in the steering wheel I get my Beep beep!

I cant figure where to connect this to. The multi connector for the turnswitch harness? I bought all my new wiring from the Thing Shop

Maybe I am missing a pin? The harness has unused slots (but no unused pins)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

I am having the exact same problem. I also have The Thing Shop harness. Did you solve it?

If I can find a pinout of the steering wheel connectors, I know we are looking for "-S"

Thanks,
Bill
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

Figured it out from my old wiring harness. The open position next to the brown-wht is where the horn wire goes. There is an wire (brown with black sheath) included in the stack of wires that really should have that been preinstalled in that harness. It has a small female spade on on end and a large male spade on the other end. Use a connector housing to connect to the brown wire in the front harness.

...Bill
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

The horn's brown wire was included in the front wire harness when I rewired my car. Took a photo inquiring about another issue (light blue wire).

I now remember having to install the other end (small female connector) into the dash connector.

Leg 1 was for the Driver's side headlight bucket

Leg 2 was for the Passenger side headlight bucket

Leg 3 You see 3 wires. Brown, Yellow/Black, and Light Blue). I'm surprised it wasn't included in your front harness like mine. I believe it is NOT connected to the dash connector because the front harness and dash harnesses are sold separately.

BTW, The light blue wire is not documented in any wiring diagram. It is considered "extra". I reworked it into powering up an electrical washer pump.

Leg 4 connected to the Frunk's Ground lug
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

Leg 3 was included in my front harness but it is the end that goes to the horn itself. It is the other end of the front harness that has to connect under the dash to a brown wire that is included in the instrument wiring package but NOT preinstalled into the steering wheel connector. That wire not being preinstalled was causing the confusion.
KChallener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Wiring Harness CANT FIND HORN HOOKUP in column Reply with quote

Last wire for my 1974 is the horn. Harness from The Thing Shop. I installed the wire in the harness as noted in pictures above. If I use the brown to the harness the horn is on at all times. If I use the light blue wire the horn works great. Where is the brown grounding so the horn is always "on"? Also, the left front of my Thing was damage at one time and the fender, quarter, and parts of the front plate were replaced. Where does the horn wire exit the Frunk? Picture would be helpful (also where does it travel underside?

Ken
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: