Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KDF experts please.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

Two questions please.
Does a typ82 frame head differ from a typ60 or 82e?
Can the frame head number be used to accurately date its production?
Thank you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T2_681
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

What comes on mind first are jacking points.
The frame head number question is something that puzzles me but no, it can't be used to date the production accurately because it is not identical with the "VIN" stamped on the tunnel.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

Is there a list somewhere that lists frame head numbers, especially vis-a-vis dates? I don't think I've ever seen one. When did they stop putting numbers on frame heads? Should my 47 have a frame head number? I don't recall seeing one. Maybe hidden under surface rust or paint?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

You've probably already checked here, but...
Just a tiny set of numbers here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

...and a reference to this thread on chassis (not frame) numbers:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728797
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It seems the frame head numbering was dropped in May 55, but the front axle numers continued. As you say, frame head numbers are sparse for early cars on the list. If you have some of the other numbers, like engine, front axle, etc, you may be able to extrapolate something backwards, but that would be a guesstimate at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

Typ60 / 82e chassis have a captive nut middle for fuel tank bracket.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Typ60 / 82e chassis have a captive nut middle for fuel tank bracket.

Thanks Mika.
That’s what I thought, but I’m told early typ82 have that nut too. Here is chassis no 66
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: KDF experts please. Reply with quote

T2_681 wrote:

The frame head number question is something that puzzles me but no, it can't be used to date the production accurately because it is not identical with the "VIN" stamped on the tunnel.

What I need is to talk to owners of 1944 cars to see where their frame head number sits in relation to their VIN. If I can get enough I hope to be able to identify my chassis vin. I know it's '44 and that it's type 60
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: