Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Went and got a notchback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Well, this one has been passed around a bit. 1963 Gulfblau, original paint, some original interior, very unoriginal rockers! Some rust, quite a few dings and dents and on a later pan but has the original which is powder coated. Two transmissions, well three counting the automatic that’s under it now, an automatic long lock with some of the tin work, and a butt ton of work and money ahead. Selling my Square on BAT to finance this operation. Wish me luck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Looks like most of it's there, which should help you out. Good luck with it, as early cars are hard to find parts for. Wink Looks like it should make for a nice project. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

You are trading down? A beautiful sunroof squareback for a notch? I am partisan to squarebacks, specially sunroof squarebacks.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
You are trading down? A beautiful sunroof squareback for a notch? I am partisan to squarebacks, specially sunroof squarebacks.

Martin
allwagons

It was not an easy decision because we love the Square, but I’ve got a double cab for hauling and it hauls more, so I couldn’t rationalize keeping the Squareback for working purposes.
The notch sort of fell in my lap. It’s going to be a big project, but I like building cars so that’s why I’m taking it on, and I’ve always wanted a notch.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Looks like most of it's there, which should help you out. Good luck with it, as early cars are hard to find parts for. Wink Looks like it should make for a nice project. Cool

It appears to be mostly there but until I tear into it the jury is out. Plan on doing that Saturday, I’ll post pictures and hope for feedback from the experts on here.
I’m already coming up with a plan. I want to do it stock in the original color and interior combination to the extent possible. Mechanically I’m on the fence. I know it came with the single side draft, but all that’s missing and finding that stuff might be a problem and expensive so Iam considering building it with a the later dual carbs on single port manifolds and 12 volts cause if like to use it for road trips.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Looks like a really solid start. I’m jealous. Congrats. Enjoy it.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Indeed it is impressive. And the factory cutout for the gas heater in the frunk too. Gotta have that for it to be correct. Although with it being in California, the heater does not have to be really working. The patina will disappear with good paint job. Gulf Blau is my favorite color as my 64 Notch S is the same.
You did not mention the engine. Is it original, and still have the sidedraft or did the PO upgrade it
Looking forward to the pictures and progress.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Congrats, such a cool project.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Godspeed. They are not easy to do, but you'll have lots of people happy to give you their opinions and suggestions here. Twisted Evil

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Well, this one has been passed around a bit. 1963 Gulfblau, original paint

The Pedro trunk rack is a nice bit to have too. Those are NLA now.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Godspeed. They are not easy to do, but you'll have lots of people happy to give you their opinions and suggestions here. Twisted Evil

Some will even offer you parts for sale! Cool

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Well, this one has been passed around a bit. 1963 Gulfblau, original paint, some original interior, very unoriginal rockers! Some rust, quite a few dings and dents and on a later pan but has the original which is powder coated. Two transmissions, well three counting the automatic that’s under it now, an automatic long lock with some of the tin work, and a butt ton of work and money ahead. Selling my Square on BAT to finance this operation. Wish me luck.

Nice find. I'll have to stop by and check it out soon.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Well, I gutted most of the interior yesterday. Still need to do the dash. And found some nasty surprises. The rocker rot stretches past the heater outlets and the rear secrion is roached too. The donor sections I’m not sure are flush with the door so I might have to move them as well as graft in metal. Oh joy.

Are the heater outlet areas specific to notches or are they the same as other T3?

Another area of odd rust which I didn’t photograph yet, is in the back seat area below the quarter windows. There are really long rusty cracks stretching up from the bottom of the body up to about a foot below the windows following the curve of the wheel arches. I guess the metal there is two pieces creating a rust sandwich?

Everything else looks fine. The rear parcel tray is dry and I haven’t seen any obvious rot on the dash yet, but we will see after I pull the pad.

Most of the OG interior is there. It’s all I’m horrible condition, but maybe the arm rests can be restored? Does anyone do that? Or how about the dash? I know there are places that advertise that they restore dashes as anyone tried that route?

I want to replicate the OG interior I know TMI makes a facsimile of the vinyl, but is there a source for the cloth? I will check SMS but Oye, I hate dealing with them.

The front seats are 66-67, of course, but I have one recliner back. Will it fit on my later seat bases? Can I modify the 66 seats to look like earlier seats?

The engine is an incomplete fuel injection GEX turd, so I will rebuild it, but have to decide if I will go with dual or single port. Since it’s likely a universal case I don’t see the point in building it as a single side draft though I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks for any feedback.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

I had sent you a pm

Martin
Allwagons

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I had sent you a pm

Martin
Allwagons

Havent gotten it yet.
My email is Epperlydan4 at gmail

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
SNIP>>> The rocker rot stretches past the heater outlets and the rear secrion is roached too. The donor sections I’m not sure are flush with the door so I might have to move them as well as graft in metal. Oh joy.

Are the heater outlet areas specific to notches or are they the same as other T3?
<<<SNIP
So, I fully admit I am not the expert. But went down the same path as you. The prior owners did a heater channel replacement using the generic replacements which are not correct and have the step channels. Correct channels on the Notch are rounded and are in a slightly different spot than where I see in your images. The donor sections will have to be fabricated and adapted. to when you do the rocker replacements.
>>>>SNIP
Another area of odd rust which I didn’t photograph yet, is in the back seat area below the quarter windows. There are really long rusty cracks stretching up from the bottom of the body up to about a foot below the windows following the curve of the wheel arches. I guess the metal there is two pieces creating a rust sandwich?
<<<SNIP
Indeed, BobNotch will agree and I had the same thing on my 64 Notch. The cancer ran up along the inner fender arch. The biggest pain for mine was removing the sealant putty. They went to the reserve when they applied it. It had rust under the putty that just followed the seal line.
SNIP>>>
Most of the OG interior is there. It’s all I’m horrible condition, but maybe the arm rests can be restored? Does anyone do that? Or how about the dash? I know there are places that advertise that they restore dashes as anyone tried that route?
<<<SNIP
I can't speak to the dash. But. I did a pretty decent job of rescuing the vinyl panels on the door and back. It was a pretty labor intensive task which I had to use a heat gun to stretch it back into position. (See below)

SNIP>>>
The engine is an incomplete fuel injection GEX turd, so I will rebuild it, but have to decide if I will go with dual or single port. Since it’s likely a universal case I don’t see the point in building it as a single side draft though I’m open to suggestions.

If you want to go original, that Single port sidedraft manifold for the 63 is slightly different, and the associated muffler too.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

The armrests look nice. Did you post up how you did it?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

I have quite a few pics of my armrest restoration work. I posted about it in my 1963 Notchback thread (page 4 &5), but the pics are here in the gallery:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_id=1300211939&start=0

Happy to help with some tips just let me know.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
I have quite a few pics of my armrest restoration work. I posted about it in my 1963 Notchback thread (page 4 &5), but the pics are here in the gallery:

Thank you, I followed your thread to do mine. I tried to find your thread, but failed miserably.
== THIS Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Water
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Went and got a notchback Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:

I read through your whole thread. Your car is beautiful.
Do you have a link for the material you used for the armrests?
What sort of adhesive did you use?
Your car looked to have the same rot as mine. Did you use an aftermarket rocker for the repair?
Appreciate any help you can offer.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: