Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The cost of fast food
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Quote:
Unless that bumps them into the next tax bracket where they’ll actually make less than they do now.

Ooof. Economics 101. Might want to go back and put that into a memory hole quickly so it can’t be found
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

If they can do it why shouldn't other fast food chains be able to afford it ?
In-N-Out starting wage in Yuma Az $18.50-$20.00 depends on location.
https://www.in-n-out.com/locations/?q=yuma%20AZ
Double-Double Combo: comes with french fries and a medium drink.
Price: $9.15
(We start all of our new Associates at a competitive wage for one simple reason...you are important to us!
And our commitment to a higher starting wage is just one of the ways in which we show it.
Another way is through offering excellent part-time and full-time benefits like flexible schedules to accommodate school and other activities,
paid vacations, free meals, comprehensive training, and a 401k plan)

https://www.in-n-out.com/employment/restaurant/home

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
If they can do it why shouldn't other fast food chains be able to afford it ?
In-N-Out starting wage in Yuma Az $18.50-$20.00 depends on location.
https://www.in-n-out.com/locations/?q=yuma%20AZ
Double-Double Combo: comes with french fries and a medium drink.
Price: $9.15
(We start all of our new Associates at a competitive wage for one simple reason...you are important to us!
And our commitment to a higher starting wage is just one of the ways in which we show it.
Another way is through offering excellent part-time and full-time benefits like flexible schedules to accommodate school and other activities,
paid vacations, free meals, comprehensive training, and a 401k plan)

https://www.in-n-out.com/employment/restaurant/home

A lot of reasons. While...for example...In N out seems like a big enterprise, as a main stream fast food restaurant its just mid-sized. It has as of last month a little over 400 locations. And, its still 100% privatrely owned...and it is still small enough that it can operate with its own original meat plant/facility.

One might say that its excellent to perfect sized for a chain. Its moderately self sufficient and not quite vertically integrated but close where it counts. Its big enough that it has the economy of scale but small enough to keep that scale from having to be farmed out or massively costly.

It allows them to afford to offer some better benefits.

But, because they are not franchises and its still all owned by the orignal family, they have to be prudent about numbers of locations, locations of locations and closing anything thats not profitable. This is why when you look up In N out # of locations....in just a few months its moved from 417 in November to 401 In January 2024. They are not stupid.

Not all chains have this kind of luxury due to scale, franchising (sharing the profits at many more levels) food and materials sourcing being outsourced etc.

It can in some cases actually be cheaper to produce a burger at a small to mid sized chain with near vertical integration than it might be at a LARGE chain like say...Burger King.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

$18 Big Mac meal

Quote:
Amid the uproar, McDonald’s franchisees say they are being financially squeezed by the rising cost of insurance, equipment and labor.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/06/business/why-mcdonal...-in-sight/
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
$18 Big Mac meal

Quote:
Amid the uproar, McDonald’s franchisees say they are being financially squeezed by the rising cost of insurance, equipment and labor.

I would like to see where these $18 Big Mac meals are being sold. I’m not saying there are not $18 Big Mac meals. I want to see what towns have this going on. A lot of people will read a headline like this from a rag like The NY Post and think it’s in every town. So many people can’t be bothered to read the whole story. I’m going to check this out tomorrow in the McDonald’s down the street. Portland, OR proper. Man that food is disappointing these days.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Life is too short for fast food
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
.... I’m going to check this out tomorrow in the McDonald’s down the street.........

Wow!, taking one for the team, now that's dedicated! Shocked

Or are you just going to look at the menu?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Xevin wrote:
.... I’m going to check this out tomorrow in the McDonald’s down the street.........

Wow!, taking one for the team, now that's dedicated! Shocked

Or are you just going to look at the menu?

Yes, not going to eat that crap. I might get a Filet o Fish or Egg McMuffin should they be on special. That’s my guilty pleasure now since the rest of the food is a salty mess.

I looked at Uber Eats McDonalds menu and it was $11.95 for a Big Mac Meal (still to expensive IMHO).

I’m going to see if it’s less at the McDonalds location.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
$18 Big Mac meal

Quote:

I would like to see where these $18 Big Mac meals are being sold. I’m not saying there are not $18 Big Mac meals. I want to see what towns have this going on. A lot of people will read a headline like this from a rag like The NY Post and think it’s in every town. So many people can’t be bothered to read the whole story. I’m going to check this out tomorrow in the McDonald’s down the street. Portland, OR proper. Man that food is disappointing these days.

If you google it, you will find a small handful, notable Darien, CT. It is not across the board (yet).
And yes the Post is sometimes flakey, but it also made Fortune and USA Today.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Xevin wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
$18 Big Mac meal

Quote:

If you google it, you will find a small handful, notable Darien, CT. It is not across the board (yet).
Ans yes the Post is sometimes flakey, but it also made Fortune and USA Today.

$18 for is ridiculous for a McDonald’s meal. Even if it is in Dubai. But the Headlines use one of the more expensive towns (areas) in the US to shock us as if this is happening in all towns across America. Guess what? The cost of living in NYC is much more expensive per Sq Ft then Jackson, Mississippi. I’m Sure the cost of doing business is a lot more in Darien, CT.

Darien's housing expenses are 277% higher than the national average and the utility prices are 33% higher than the national average. Transportation expenses like bus fares and gas prices are 13% higher than the national average. Darien has grocery prices that are 7% higher than the national average.

Darien Key Takeaways

Typical Home Values: $1,835,090
1-year Value Change: +7.9%

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

HOA in Darian requires grey paint, which eliminates aging.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

I’ve had three people tell me they were shocked at the price of McDonalds Big Mac meal was $18. One in Phoenix, AZ, Napa, CA, and one in Medford, OR
And yet they can’t find the elusive $18 meals. Confused

Portland, OR today.

Medium Big Mac meal $9.85 at the location. $11.82 if Uber delivers it. Think

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don’t get me wrong. Things are more expensive and it’s not awesome. But the traditional media and Social Media outlets that hype stuff up is mind blowing. Many people won’t actually go deeper in the story past the headlines then spew nonsense to so many others with the click of a button. That’s scary.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I’ve had three people tell me they were shocked at the price of McDonalds Big Mac meal was $18. One in Phoenix, AZ, Napa, CA, and one in Medford, OR

Or, these same people mentioned above have a life and better things to do with their time vs. looking up McDonalds current price point on a big mac meal. Laughing Wink

P.S., love ya man! Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Or, these same people mentioned above have a life and better things to do with their time vs. looking up McDonalds current price point on a big mac meal. Laughing Wink

P.S., love ya man! Very Happy

They do. They watch news on TV and accept headlines from their favorite news channel that makes them feel good. No need to research anything when John Stewart and Tucker Carlson represent all the virtues of America. Why bother. They did all the homework for us. Wink Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I'm in Phoenix half the year, but I haven't eaten at a McDonalds since I had breakfast there a decade ago, and a couple of times after late-night softball for "breakfast" because nothing else was open. I would NEVER consider them for "lunch" or "dinner" these days.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Don't know what exactly is in Wendy's $5 "Barf Box" , but ( according to the marque) its "BACK!!!". Must be a non-union store w/o drug testing paying minimum wage 15-20 hrs a week to basement dwellers and recent migrants.

Thank goodness all is right again.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Xevin wrote:

I'm in Phoenix half the year, but I haven't eaten at a McDonalds since I had breakfast there a decade ago, and a couple of times after late-night softball for "breakfast" because nothing else was open. I would NEVER consider them for "lunch" or "dinner" these days.

That’s great. Fast food isn’t known for being a healthy alternative to home cooked meals with fresh vegetables and proteins. I hope people don’t think I’m advocating McDonalds or other fast food. I will have some fast food every now and again. I’m not embarrassed to admit. My grandfather’s friends and family developed fast food. Starting with White Castle in Kansas Wink

Some people take a piss on fast food and eat crappy frozen food cooked in a microwave.

I don’t care what people eat. I care more about people not following sensational stories and internet hyperbole without looking deeper. Gone are the days of Walter Cronkite news and that’s what we accepted.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Ol' Walter lied right to everyone's face about Gulf of Tonkin, but... Mickey D's was pretty damn tasty back then before mass, corporate sourced ingredients. Sure we have a right to source our own destruction ( like booze, smokes, drugs). This has become a public hazard and needs to be treated as such through high prices. It is fun to give the poor drivethrough workers a vodka "shooter" which they can slam while slinging sacks of orders. Never had one turn me down, yes I have eaten it in the distant past and even appreciated they were serving at 3pm.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

I care more about people not following sensational stories and internet hyperbole without looking deeper. Gone are the days of Walter Cronkite news and that’s what we accepted.

Wait, what? So everything I read on the internet isn't 100% fact? Shut the front door Kevin! Laughing
The scary part to me is that the younger Tiktok generation is getting all their "news" from that platform and other social media. So many "influencers" on social media spread whatever propaganda they're pitching.

Even traditional mainstream news sources like ABC, CBS, NBC should be watched with a filter for accuracy. Cable news channels should be watched at your own risk.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The cost of fast food Reply with quote

Was camping in WA and stopped by this Drive In Burger place. Prices were reasonable.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: