Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Customer wanted a 36hp Judson Supercharged engine for his '56 beetle but wanted to have a dog house cooler. Many hours to get to this point.
The EMPI fan housing needed some rework in order to get the full potential of the upgraded cooling system. This is in the final "mock-up" stage
with the exhaust system installed. Sheet metal already came back from powder coat. Waiting for intake manifold and heater boxes to come
back from ceramic coat before I finish this one. Cheers Loco's Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

It's looking good ....keep up the good work that you do ...
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Been doing that for years. Drill out the cooler mounts to accept the bigger studs, use the adapter seals and it’s on. Engine runs heck of a lot cooler and from the front you can’t tell unless you know what to look for. Get a lot more heat in the cabin too with that bigger fan.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Been doing that for years. Drill out the cooler mounts to accept the bigger studs, use the adapter seals and it’s on. Engine runs heck of a lot cooler and from the front you can’t tell unless you know what to look for. Get a lot more heat in the cabin too with that bigger fan.

I seen this set-up before years ago when EMPI, Scat, etc. started selling these. No customer has ever wanted it installed on their engine so there
was no need for me to build an engine using this cooling method.

It was a pretty straight forward installation with some minor welding to get everything to "fit properly". Besides welding a couple of nut plates for
the coil mount and tab for wiring, I also had to make a plate to reach the Hoover bit to cover a "low air pressure" area where air would escape and
not go through the oil cooler. I made a "flush nut" to attach the backing plate where the back of the supercharger was rubbing and also installed
a "venturi ring". Needed to trim the edge of the backing plate also to clear the blower.

ADDED NOTE:
Rather than opening up the 6mm holes in the magnesium block and "weakening" the mounting boss, I installed (2) 8mm to 6mm
Time Serts in the oil cooler. Then I installed long 6mm SET SCREWS to bolt the oil cooler to the block. Since the set screws are made from material
that is harder than regular studs, there is no chance that they would break and now you still maintain the rigidity of the block. You can see them in
the 1st & 2nd photos.

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com

Last edited by Mr. Okrasa on Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Moving right along with Robo's Supercharged '56 engine build. I received the sheet metal back from powder coating and started reinstalling the pcs.

Per customer requests, I'm installing an optional Okrasa style oil cooler and a remote Fram oil filter. I'm pre-fitting the copper coiled cooler
and taking measurements and how I'm going to route the oil lines.....

BTW: Does anybody have a "known good" Judson coil with nice decals they may want to sell?
The owner of this engine asked me to put the word out there.....Thanks.

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
mkbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:

BTW: Does anybody have a "known good" Judson coil with nice decals they may want to sell?

Check with BBT Bob. He had a few at one time.

My Build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667183
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

I really like this. I prefer the look of 36HP shrouds, but I heard mixed opinions about the aftermarket dog house version. Does the EMPI Fan shroud "bolt-up" within reason, to original German cooling sheet metal? Or do you need to run mostly EMPI sheet metal?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

TXHCBeetle wrote:
I really like this. I prefer the look of 36HP shrouds, but I heard mixed opinions about the aftermarket dog house version. Does the EMPI Fan shroud "bolt-up" within reason, to original German cooling sheet metal? Or do you need to run mostly EMPI sheet metal?

I’ve done it three times. There were minimal fitment issues with the 36hp tins. I’m not sure I’d use the EMPI one though. I know of one guy who has a colossal failure with his, the internal fins collapsed on the 3/4 side. The SCAT ones are supposed to be better.
Interesting approach on using step down studs. I always hog out the holes enough for the stock studs to fit. So far no problem.
I also can’t say for sure it makes a difference, I’m just doing it based on the idea that VW did it to improve cooling over the old design. But then I’ve read some Berg article somewhere that the after market shrouds don’t work as well as stock. So like with most things once you venture out of the stock world you have to make your own call and live with it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

who's BBT?
dinsdale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

s.e.charles wrote:
who's BBT?

https://www.bbt4vw.com/
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

thank you.
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

mkbug wrote:
Mr. Okrasa wrote:

I checked BBT's website and showed nothing related to Judson.........

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

maybe check with the guys on HAMB. they're a pretty resourceful lot.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search/527671781/?q=judson+supercharger&o=relevance
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
Moving right along with Robo's Supercharged '56 engine build. I received the sheet metal back from powder coating and started reinstalling the pcs.

Per customer requests, I'm installing an optional Okrasa style oil cooler and a remote Fram oil filter. I'm pre-fitting the copper coiled cooler
and taking measurements and how I'm going to route the oil lines.....

While those spiral coolers are period correct for these engines, it is one of those items NOT to use, and especially not in warm climates, as it both limits the air flow to the engine cooling, but also heats it up some, reducing cooling capacity further.
Don´t do that.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
mkbug wrote:
Mr. Okrasa wrote:

I checked BBT's website and showed nothing related to Judson.........

You should reach out to him directly, many of the things that BBT are doing are updated on other social media, and do not always make it onto their web site
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I’ve done it three times. There were minimal fitment issues with the 36hp tins. I’m not sure I’d use the EMPI one though. I know of one guy who has a colossal failure with his, the internal fins collapsed on the 3/4 side. The SCAT ones are supposed to be better.
Interesting approach on using step down studs. I always hog out the holes enough for the stock studs to fit. So far no problem.
I also can’t say for sure it makes a difference, I’m just doing it based on the idea that VW did it to improve cooling over the old design. But then I’ve read some Berg article somewhere that the after market shrouds don’t work as well as stock. So like with most things once you venture out of the stock world you have to make your own call and live with it.

My experience is that the new shrouds from Scat are much better than what was offered 10-15 years ago, and are certainly better than the aftermarket shrouds being sold when Berg was writing articles.. I had a 36hp style shroud on one of my cars in the 90's and it did not have a single vane inside to direct the air.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

esde wrote:

My experience is that the new shrouds from Scat are much better than what was offered 10-15 years ago, and are certainly better than the aftermarket shrouds being sold when Berg was writing articles.. I had a 36hp style shroud on one of my cars in the 90's and it did not have a single vane inside to direct the air.

I have a SCAT shroud on a 1600 I'm building and there are very few differences between it and the OEM VW doghouse shroud. Internal vanes and rear ducting of the shroud are generally the same shape and same location as the original. The metal is the same gauge and it's generally more or less totally the same in every way that matters. I have to do a some tweaking to fit the thermostat setup, but a little work and that seems to fit great also. Anything that matched any closer would be OEM- and you can always find a tiny bit of variation in those also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NestaVaughn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Love this, and all your work. I have just recently got a 36 for my single cab- I live in Mesa, AZ, and this is on my list of future modifications. Out of curiosity does this setup allow for any type of thermostat? If so, it would appear to be the later style doghouse flap type, no? I see you have the velocity ring in the fan shroud intake so the 36hp style probably wouldn’t fit… also, which aftermarket shroud did you use, or did you just weld on the doghouse sheet metal onto a real 36hp shroud and modify as needed from there. And last question (for now): when you full-flow these motors, and when you put the doghouse cooler on, do you use a larger size oil pump? And if so, do you have to plug the oil pump output hole in the case? I’m very new to motor workings, so I’m sorry if these are redundant questions… I hope someday to have a motor built by you, I drool over the gold-coloring of the factory case chemical sealant. NOTHIN beats the lumpy idle of a 25/36hp motor, or the look of the hard metal fuel lines and the colors of the parts….
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

NestaVaughn wrote:
Love this, and all your work. I have just recently got a 36 for my single cab- I live in Mesa, AZ, and this is on my list of future modifications. Out of curiosity does this setup allow for any type of thermostat? If so, it would appear to be the later style doghouse flap type, no? I see you have the velocity ring in the fan shroud intake so the 36hp style probably wouldn’t fit… also, which aftermarket shroud did you use, or did you just weld on the doghouse sheet metal onto a real 36hp shroud and modify as needed from there. And last question (for now): when you full-flow these motors, and when you put the doghouse cooler on, do you use a larger size oil pump? And if so, do you have to plug the oil pump output hole in the case? I’m very new to motor workings, so I’m sorry if these are redundant questions… I hope someday to have a motor built by you, I drool over the gold-coloring of the factory case chemical sealant. NOTHIN beats the lumpy idle of a 25/36hp motor, or the look of the hard metal fuel lines and the colors of the parts….

Hello. I'll answer your questions in order:

There is no provision for adding a thermostat especially with the spiral coiled copper oil cooler.

I used the EMPI repop dog-house style fan housing with some mods....

The oil pump that I use in all my 25hp / 36hp engine builds is a HD 1300cc oil pump with 26mm gears.

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Judson Supercharged 36'er / Dog House Cooled.... Reply with quote

Are the crank and genny pulley stock size? Using the stock pulleys with a doghouse fan sounds like overkill. I can't get my stock 36hp with a 40hp fan to run hot in the Vegas weather, but I'm not sure how much heat the Judson adds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: