Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

I finally found my dream doka! 1985 Syncro Doka. Here's the catch: the Syncro transmission and front diff were sold separately a while back. Pretty common issue a lot of us have run into. The front syncro subframe is all intact--just minus the differential.

I was able to get a package deal with this doka for a running 2.1L engine and 2WD manual transmission. Here's the plan: Get it running as a stock 2WD asap. Drive it around and have fun.

Now, I want to have FWD capabilities as well. I don't want to fork out all the money to source a syncro transmission, drive shaft, and diff.

SO, I am going to do something weird. Front wheels will be powered by an electric motor. I know I am not the first to think of this. Gowesty and Bostig have done similar things. Gowesty most notably in the Norra 500 race series.

The most appealing thing about this setup would be that I could have completely independent front and rear drive systems that communicate with one another. If one fails (most likely the 2.1L engine), I can use the second drive system to get me home--or out of danger.

I plan on buying a wrecked Zero motorcycle for under $2000. This way I will get all the major components for an EV system that for sure work together. Even the battery! The Zero SR motor has a peak power of 67 HP. Not great but not bad. I will adapt the electric motor to mount directly to the front diff. I don't really want to use a stock syncro front diff because they are expensive and could be better used for someone doing a stock conversion. I've heard rumblings of the Audi 5000 rear diff working if you flip it upside down... is this true? I could use almost any diff as long as it fits into the front subframe and then get custom CV axles made.

Any thoughts on this? Worth trying? For reference, I convert vintage Vespas to electric so I am familiar with the EV conversion process albeit on a smaller scale with a lower voltage (72v). I am also familiar with the negative responses EV conversions often get from the purists! SO, if you are anti EV, remember, I am keeping the rear of this doka stock as a block Cool

[/img]
WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here she is
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

That sounds like fun!

If you find someone who replaced the WBX & trans for a Subaru & 5MT you have it all. 67HP to help get up the hills is a lot of assistance.

I don't understand how the electric and gas motor can work together at steady-state.

In "assist" like uphill, or regen/braking, yeah I can see how that would work, but how to get it to integrate automatically is way beyond my understanding.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

WestyandaSprinter wrote:

I plan on buying a wrecked Zero motorcycle for under $2000. This way I will get all the major components for an EV system that for sure work together. Even the battery!

Congrats on the doka! That would be quite the deal on a motor and battery, 2k for 15 kwh LIPO is cheap.

It would seem hard trying to use the motorcycle controller for the very different task of hybrid assist in the van but maybe the controller is actually programable.

Are you on any of the electric car forums? DIYelectriccar forum has some pretty crazy builds. I have a talaria electric moto and its crazy how many aftermarket options there are now for building out electric anything.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Something odd going on here, I've never seen a Syncro Doka with the fuel filler in that location.
Are you sure was a real Syncro? Maybe post the VIN (with the last three numbers blanked out if you're worried about security).

Hope your plans work out for a hybrid electrical setup!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Not trying to be Debbie downer here but that zero motor will probably not last long trying to move a full-sized vehicle around.

A full-sized vehicle would be quite a load for a motor that small and, given that the zeros are air-cooled, it would likely overheat in short order.

You will either need a larger motor or a very well-sorted liquid cooling setup on a smaller motor to survive in that type of situation.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Interesting about the fuel filler etc.
Do the front spindles have CV flanges inside?

vwhammer wrote:
Not trying to be Debbie downer here but that zero motor will probably not last long trying to move a full-sized vehicle around.

Yeah probably OK in an assist capacity, but if the WBX crapped out you'd want to go home pretty slow.
And for that case the Zero motor would need it's own waterpump, not rely on the WBX to be pumping.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Something odd going on here, I've never seen a Syncro Doka with the fuel filler in that location.
Are you sure was a real Syncro? Maybe post the VIN (with the last three numbers blanked out if you're worried about security).

Hope your plans work out for a hybrid electrical setup!

Yes-- the Doka will arrive on Wednesday. The story is that it started life as a 2WD and then was converted to a syncro from a donor, then became a donor for a different syncro Shocked

Looks like the PO patched/bondo'ed over the stock filler spot and misplaced the 4wd location. Looks like stock 2WD dokas have the vents right behind the treasure chest area like mine has. The syncro dokas have their filler cap right there.

The seller included a 30 gal custom aluminum tank that goes in the treasure chest cavity. I'll post pics of that later this week when it arrives. The plan is to move the filler cap to where the vents are. Time to break out the welder!

As far as getting the Zero electric motor to communicate with the gas engine... I will need to convert the 2.1L to drive by wire. It would be easier if I had a subaru engine! I am sure there's a way to convert from a throttle cable to an electronic actuator by adapting some off-the-shelf parts. Now, for programming the electric motor controller--that's the easy part, well at least for me given all the lost hours I've spent tuning my electric vespas. I prefer to use Kelly controllers. They are programmable via Bluetooth and an Android app. Super easy once you get the hang of it. I will have to match the motor rpm to a throttle curve. Easier said than done but not impossible!

Also, I've been eyeing the Dometic RTX air conditioner threads on here. With having a MASSIVE battery, I can use a 12v step down transformer and have AC for days:)
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

It wasn`t a mistake per se, the guy who converted it prolly didn`t have a pick up tank and used a Van tank and put the filler in the back Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

I think a VIN would be a great starting point.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
It wasn`t a mistake per se, the guy who converted it prolly didn`t have a pick up tank and used a Van tank and put the filler in the back Wink
This makes sense. If there is a Syncro tank above the transmission probably best to leave well enough alone on the filler.
Hopefully the body isn't too messed up.
Too bad about the extra tank taking up room in the treasure chest, they are one of the Doka's best features.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

My doka arrived! I have named her Sheila.

Time to get to work. Step one, get the transmission installed. So, as mentioned before, this doka was converted to a syncro at some point in time. Meaning that some things have been cut/welded/brackets added. First thing I found was that two brackets were welded over the transmission front mounting holes. Easy enough, time to break out the grinder. 20 minutes later and 1 exploded grinder wheel in my face, the mounts are removed.

Here's my question: which set of mounting holes do I use for my transmission mount!? I've searched the forum and haven't found a definitive answer. I believe I have an early manual transmission (picture attached). Any input?

P.S. the pics of the welded brackets removed is part way through the removal process, its cleaner and painted over now!

WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Asking again,

Which set of mounting holes do I use for my transmission mount!? I've searched the forum and haven't found a definitive answer.

Planning on installing the transmission on Wednesday and would like to do it right the first time! Cheers
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

WestyandaSprinter wrote:
Asking again,

Which set of mounting holes do I use for my transmission mount!? I've searched the forum and haven't found a definitive answer.

Planning on installing the transmission on Wednesday and would like to do it right the first time! Cheers

On my 2wd Vanagons the front transmission mount just naturally lines up the the holes to use. I would give that a try and if it does not line up with a set of holes then start to question things. (Obviously I mount the mustache bar to the frame first, not fully tightened though.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

WestyandaSprinter wrote:
Asking again,

You can`t use the 2WD mounting holes, they`re partially covered by the propshaft bar mounts welded over them.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
WestyandaSprinter wrote:
Asking again,

You can`t use the 2WD mounting holes, they`re partially covered by the propshaft bar mounts welded over them.

Well, it looks like he took an angle grinder to them and cut them off.

I don't understand what's happened here.
WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
WestyandaSprinter wrote:
Asking again,

Even after cutting off the propshaft bar mounts like it is now?

WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Week 1 of progress on the Doka project.

Here's what I accomplished.

1. I printed out diragrams of all major systems (brake, coolant, fuel lines, wiring, etc.) and marked them with all the parts I currently have. Everything missing/needing to be replaced was highlighted and ordered.

2. CLEANED. This doka was dirty. Spent a few hours cleaning. Removed all the rubber floor mats. Suprisingly rust free! Pulled out the rear set heater tunnel thing. Never seen one of these before. Pretty cool. Removed front seats for my stow and go swap.

3. Brainstrormed. Thought more about the Electric front drive unit. Watched some Bostig/Small car/Gowesty videos on their electric stuff. Definitely doable.

Here are my questions for all you Vanagon Gurus out there:

A. My transmission was rebuilt and then installed in a vanagon. The garage the vanagon was in burnt down and so did the van. The transmission was pulled and sold to me. The clutch slave cylinder is toast as are the tranaxle side screw locks (plastic retainer on each side). What else should I replace? All the other rubber seals on the transmission feel fine and aren't leaking.

B. As mentioned above, I have a 30 gallon aluminum fuel cell I will be using for the gas tank. It will be sitting in the treasure chest area. Should I use stock vanagon fuel pumps and filters? Or should I just get a standard fuel pump/filter/level sensor combo kit?

Next Week: Stow and Go seat install! I got these seats a couple months back for $70... for BOTH. I have used them in my T1N Dodge sprinter van since. Now they will make the promotion (or demotion!?) to the Doka.

Pic of the syncro subframe missing the front diff:

Pic of aluminum spacers/adapters to fit subaru wheels and tires:
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Why not use the syncro fuel tank and save the tresaure chest for batteries? or has it already been removed?

I have been thinking of doing somehting simlar, i have converted the backend to syncro with fuek tank etc and am on the look out for a front end but use an electric motor like you plan to.
WestyandaSprinter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Doka Hybrid Dream Build Reply with quote

Lots of good points made by viewers of this thread. I've been tinkering away on this 1 night per week as it's stored in a driveway I can only go to once per week Sad

That means I have a lot of time to think about everything...a lot more time than I have actually spent tinkering on it.

I am toying around with going with a full EV conversion--AWD all the time using tesla motors. They're becoming increasing less expensive as more and more of them get crashed by people texting while driving and trusting the "self driving" feature.

If I go this route, I would sell the stock 2.1 sycnro set up waterboxer and rebuilt manual transmission (less than 150 miles on the transmission).

What would this stock set up be worth if I sold it as a package deal? Running motor (gowesty exhaust) and rebuilt manual transmission. I paid 1500 for each--so 3k total. Do you think I could get that $$ back by selling?

TIA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: