Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhraider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a mechanic install a new seal, there is a gap near the engine pulley. Could the seal be upside down or the wrong seal?
Thanks for any help, the engine is a H-engine
Thanks for any help

Last edited by jhraider on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

Should be one piece.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

There is 2 different type seals, earlier and later. Either one could be used if your not concerned about correctness. 67/68 is when they updated to the later style. If you could post a few photos, it would be much easier to figure out what's going on.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

Looks like that's the later seal and it isn't seated correctly. My understanding is the seals supposed to lay over the engine tin, especially so for the early style with two "tongues". One above and one below the tin.
This diagram from Buzz Bug VW Parts , a local supplier here in New Zealand, shows how they fit in a Beetle which is the same as a Karmann as far as the engine surround goes.

What you show looks like the later "S" shape which I think it needs to be pulled up to sit up over the lid a bit more and so it hooks to the folded edge of the tin

There are some comments about the two types in this thread.. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=724525 .. where they talk about mixing the early and old seals on early and late cars.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jhraider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

I have a photo before the transmission removed and engine is sealing properly
gatordub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my 67. I installed the correct seal and had an air gap near the crank pully. All of my tins are original so that shouldn't be an issue. I sent it back to the retailer and received a different manufacturers seal. Still a huge air gap. I ended up installing a Type 4 foam seal. It's not factory correct but seals much better than the factory rubber seal. It's also easy to install and remove as needed.

Last edited by gatordub on Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
jhraider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

Thanks
gatordub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

Sorry, don't want to confuse anyone.. it was a Type 4 seal.
Product link is below.

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-411-813-225/
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

Maybe try the early seal. It sticks straight out and would likely cover that gap. Pic is of a '68 from the gallery. '68 had the same H5 engine as '69.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhraider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

I have a photo of before and the tin was next to the seal.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

jhraider wrote:
I have a photo of before and the tin was next to the seal.

So what is it about the previous answers that keeps you looping with the same question? Is it time to talk to the people who created your the problem? You have by now everything there is to know about these seals. You'll be well informed going in.

Nicholas.
jhraider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

I did yesterday afternoon; I wanted to try and get the most answers and knowledge just in case one of you had the solution before talking to him!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Ghia Engine seal to tin Reply with quote

jhraider wrote:
I did yesterday afternoon; I wanted to try and get the most answers and knowledge just in case one of you had the solution before talking to him!

So how did it go? Did you get and answer out of him?

Nicholas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: