Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Here's a before and after pic of Samantha's booty... although, even the old pic has the new exhaust. The original exhaust was rotten. The original owner of this Meyers Manx said he welded washers inside the original exhaust to quiet her down. Anyone have any experience with this? I could maybe see stuffing steel wool inside or something. Any ideas?

And what? Your buggy doesn't have a home with carpet?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
Crossing my fingers on the painted carbs. My buddy has done it for years on his hotrods. Thx for the tip on the inlet.
I imagine I could find some old wheels if I really tried, but they really weren't my bag. Maybe I'm too young. The older guys that have seen them get all giddy.

I went with 295/50 and 225/60 up front.

I've got the same model tires on Sandy, 295/50 on rear and 205/60 on front,
Good choice!

516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Nice! Sandy is a cutie.

I had my buddy, Mopar Mike over, he showed up with his 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner. He has owned it for 40 years, and just restored it. We did some measuring and Google searching. We looked at tires too small and too big to narrow it down. Everyone has their preference, but for example Stacey David built his Meyers Manx with huge rear tires, like 335s, or bigger. I don't like the look, but I used it to help see what i wanted.

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Samantha got some new peepers! She had the old Dietz, but they were a bit more crusty than my liking. Also I wasn't a super fan of the markers/blinkers on the beam. The new lights have a row of LED's that will serve for parking lights and blinkers, I'm worried the blinkers won't be bright enough because I wear my sunglasses at night

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Those built in LED blinkers are invisible when the headlights are on.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
Samantha got some new peepers! She had the old Dietz, but they were a bit more crusty than my liking. Also I wasn't a super fan of the markers/blinkers on the beam. The new lights have a row of LED's that will serve for parking lights and blinkers.

New lights are in Sandys future also. My buckets are in excellent shape, so I will probably be able to just by new bulbs. I like keeping things as much "period
correct" as possible, but improvements in lighting and brakes, I won't ignore. I'm enjoying watching your thread. Keep up the good work!
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Pretty crazy. I met a guy who lives less than a mile from me who also has a Meyers Manx. Same color! I also saw someone else with another green fiberglass buggy real close as well. We're going to have to go cruising!

Last edited by 516swg on Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Cool wheels on that one ^^^^^ I don't know who made them???

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

Yeah it was a cool buggy. He said it took him 10 years to build it. He said the pan was rotten so he made a custom chasis out of 1" square tubing. He did irs rear with a hot 2100. I think he said it was originally white, and he has a low registry number, like 400.

And

He built it for his wife
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

My buddy and I got Samantha fired up. She sounds pretty good. One of the idle air control solenoids are bad tho. But we did a couple fires, plug check, hibbidy dibbity, and fire again. Whoo wee! We used 2 stroke fuel to lube everything during the first runs. On to the next step
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
... One of the idle air control solenoids are bad ...

Same here when I first got my dual Type 3 carbs. The fix was easy; took it apart and found crunge cram'd in the spring, keeping the plunger stuck in cut-off position. Newer idle cut-off solehoids do not come apart like the originals.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Nice! I didn't realize they came apart. I would have done that when I rebuilt my carbs.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! Reply with quote

516swg wrote:
with a 64 type 3 engine. He said in America/Canadia there was either the fuel injected engine or the twin solex 32 with the electric idle solenoid. This is the carb engine.

'64 thru '67 Type 3 had the Solex 32 PDSIT dual-carbed engine. '64 - '65 were 1500 cc single-port with high-compression domed pistons; the Squareback and Notchback models with that engine were known as the 1500 S and needed premium fuel. '66 was still single-port but with flat-topped, lower compression 85.5 mm pistons for 1600 cc which enabled regular grade gas. '67 kept the dual carbs but now with 12 V chokes, and introduced the dual-port heads. '68 for US market went to Bosch fuel injection and kept the 1600 cc dual-port.

Amazing that you also have an original "flower power" top! In what town did the PO live in New York?
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I want to say he was up by Syracuse. I have also purchased some vintage articles and magazine ads for the Meyers Manx. One lists the dealer network, in New York:
Gardiner- Les' Fixit Shop
Huntington Station - H&S Automotive
Ithica- W-R Racing, Inc
Jamestown- Imported Car Service

That top is money. Idk if I said it already, but I also have the side curtains/ doors that match, with green felt storage bag.

I'm pretty sure I saw a number on that engine on top by the seam, I'll look again. Sounds like something I would have looked up and took note of, but idk.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

So.... Samanth came with the single Impala taillights, and little Hitchhiker's mounted above the license plate.

I've gone over the wiring diagram and it shows I need 3 elements for the taillights, but.... Shirley, there's gotta be a way to make a 2 element bulb do everything: lights, brakes, blinkers????

Anyone have any help?

I can post to a different forum if necessary
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Maybe a trailer light adapter relay can help you.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051NNUHQ/ref=sspa_dk_d...9kZXRhaWwy
Third image down the left side indicates that the trailer light, lights can be tail, brake and turn signal.

I had a similar relay in my 69 Baja years ago. It worked for a one bulb rear light.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

That would do it. My buddy said he can do it with a diode. He said it's a piece of cake. Idk. I was absent the day they taught about diodes. I understand their definition, but that's about it.
ppilotmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

You do not need 3 light bulbs. Matter of fact it would be quite legal with a single dual filament bulb. The caveat to that would be the use of an aftermarket TS switch. If you follow the light’s labeled “M” on that VW schematic you will see they are reverse lights. VW used a way overcomplicated turn signal switch in my opinion so I shy away from them.
516swg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

I tried tuning up the original color, but the front was smoked. I thought about a bra, or color change, but.....

Samantha got a paint job!! Same color. Lots of metal flake.

I did several stages of finishing/ paint correction. Started with the de-nib process, then 3 stages of wet sanding, and 3 stages of buffing, and finally a ceramic coat. She's going to be pretty

A little more work on the chasis and it will be body on time.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Samantha! My Meyers Manx Reply with quote

Good job, nice color!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: