Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Leak under load/at speed
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugsandJeeps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

Hi All,
1914 built last fall and run in on test stand. Had leak from oil cooler during break in so fixed that and tested it again. No leaks on test stand and runs really well. Installed in car and take it for a run. See smoke behind me and stop the car. Oil is leaking from the pulley and onto the exhaust. Clean it up and look for a leak while running on jackstands. Nothing. Go for another run and leaking. Is it possible that this is excess crankcase pressure causing the oil to leak? I had a 1776 previously that I had to vent the valve covers to an oil breather box. Should I try the same here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

Piston rings might not be dug in properly yet if it's a new build what type of oil did you use to run it in?. Larger pistons and higher rpm's than stock might create quite a bit more back pressure and volume . Have you tried running it with the filler cap off keep an eye that it doesn't sputter oil out.
BugsandJeeps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

10 w 30 and no i have not run it without the filler cap. Will clean it up and try that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

Check the oil pressure switch while you are at it.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

Definitely crank case pressure.
In theory there shouldn’t be any but there always is.
I had the same issue on my 1915 and put a breather on it from the valve covers and the oil filler. Still had a little.
Went to a 2276 and added a fourth vent from the mechanical fuel pump location and added a sand seal pulley and I have none at this point. Fingers crossed.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

Show us a picture of your present crankcase vent system.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

I had oil coming from the pully on my current 2275 after it was built. At the time I use a OG stock pulley with a new CB White Rhino case. I changed the pulley, to CB Equalizer and the leak stopped. I’m guessing old vs new was not meshing well.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
volky1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Leak under load/at speed Reply with quote

I had that issue since day one on a freshly built 1776cc in 2007 with a BMD pulley. The cause: the BMD pulley. Since it's crank triggered with the wheel being in that pulley I had to put a sand seal on it.

Problem solved.

Now I have the same block with a 2109cc turbo engine with the BMD pulley and no issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: