Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Perspex cc measuring rings
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:36 am    Post subject: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

Hi Chaps
Can anyone help me with a quick question ?
I was going to buy a cc measuring kit, the 3 circles and the syringe. and I don't intend to pay £65 ($81)!!!!! Evil or Very Mad for it, and would rather buy some ready cut Perspex circles over here in the UK.
Can anyone here who has a set, (Guessing 80.5/90.5/94 ??) tell me the exact diameters of the discs please
TIA
Dave
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

it needs to be larger than the piston but smaller than the counterbore so it fits in the head.
slightly smaller than the top of the cylinder would be a good bet.
exact size?, not sure what an exact size is...., (I guess it's an imaginary concept.,.....?)
Didn't know who makes kits of these
But I have heard of perspex, we call it plexi-glass, but it's more generally known as clear acrylic plastic sheet
but anyway
here are some popular sizes of cylinder bore and OD of cylinder, nominal sizes Wink
77-89.8
83-93.8
85.5-93.8
88-95.4
90.5-97 (early thinwall)
90.5-98 (most 90.5)
92-98
92-101 (AA thickwall 92)
94-101

I prefer having the hole near the edge, but if you go with a hole in the center then it's easy to mount on your lathe and trim round
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

This kit is $40 US.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/16-9603.html
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

$37.50

https://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?products_id=1290

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Millionmph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

You can get the syringes for like $5 on amazon and for the disc I used a plastic lid and cut to size, cost $0
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

You want cheap?

I used to make my own CC Kit by salvaging computer related stuff. Repurposing the clear plastic spacer disks that were included in sleeves of blank CD-R and DVD-Rs, cutting them down to fit. And repurposing the syringes that came in InkJet Printer Cartridge Refill Kits. Stuff I had just lying around, zero cost except time. http://members.trainorders.com/android/VW12up/PoorMansCCKit-CDInsertDisksPlusInketSyringes.jpg

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garym999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

If you know someone with a 3D printer should be easy to make, just a thought
lner JP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

If you look on coolairvw website you can hire the discs for £5.50, that's what I planned to do when I get round to my build.

JP
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

Because our poster is in England, that CC kit that is $37 turns into $80 real fast once all the shipping/fees are paid. Its really not hard to make something that gets the job done perfectly.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

Being also in the UK I found I could peel the colour layer off an old licence plate leaving clear perspex.
99p for a syringe from the local chemist was every bit as accurate as the fancy burette I bought to check the syringe. lol
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

Thanks Chaps for the responses
I'm not a cheapskate by any means Razz but as said earlier if I order one here it's $80 bucks, or as also said, I can hire it for ~$7 but the site below, will make them for peanuts, and as @modok said, I can even have the hole made where I want.

I have just ordered a set of the AA 88's machine in, and wanted to be able do deck height and to CC my heads as well for when I put it all together. The heads will need to be opened up to take 90.5, but I wanted to know the size of the discs that come in the kit if that makes sense ? anyway at the price of the discs, I may make up a couple of sets Laughing syringes on Amazon are dirt cheap as well

https://www.perspexsheet.uk/perspex-disc/
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Perspex cc measuring rings Reply with quote

Bargain!
I think your best bet is to get the heads in your hands and measure yourself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: