Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mountain Buggy by Stevie
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longtooth Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Howdy from Montana.
First post as I am new to the forum as well as new to the VW world. I’ve been wrenching off and on all my life but have no claims to being a professional mechanic. I love taking things apart to see how they work and then put them back together to see them run. It’s hell having ADHD at 56 lol.
My son Stevie is special needs with Cerbral Palsey and a few other developmental issues. He decided he and I needed a build project so yesterday we drove from Great Falls to Lewiston, ID (15 hr round trip) to pick up and VW dune buggy rolling chassis that’s been sitting for along time. I’ve never seen him so excited about something. I gave him a new socket set and bought him new off-road Halogen lights today to get him started. He couldn’t wait to get started so he and already spent the evening removing a few things. I of course have to walk him through every step and have to assist on certain things because he only has the use of the one hand.
All this to say Dad will need some advice and technical assistance on occasion not having any familiarity with VW’s or transaxle systems. Thanks ahead of time.
Jim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

avwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Very Happy Love this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Awesome! Welcome to The Samba!
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Wonderful Smile Can't wait to see what you two do together.

-Joe
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Just some info from what I see you have, is a pre 1966 link pin front end, rear end may be 6 Volt, maybe listed on the starter. most times the front and rear-end come from the same car. also the front wheels are on backward. Good luck.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manx1173
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Rear end looks like IRS in the last photo.
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Eye agree that it appears to have late model rear suspension/transmission. Can't see if it's single or dual side cover.
Looks like factory VW pedal setup also.
Going to be a fun ride when driveable.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Front wheels are backwards. Does it work? Yes. Do you sacrifice spindle strength? Also yes. I suggest you flip them so they are on correctly if you plan on doing “real” off road driving with them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Longtooth Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Thanks all. Stevie is super excited for sure as I am because I love mechanical things. Here is the code on the tranny. AH 16069 59
Longtooth Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

So it’s a May 9th, 1969 tranny if I read it right correct?
Longtooth Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

May 9th, 1968 I mean
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Looks like a lot fun!
I'm the same, but these cars are pretty straight forward to work on.
Many ACVWs running around GF?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Awesome
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Longtooth Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Looks like a lot fun!
I'm the same, but these cars are pretty straight forward to work on.
Many ACVWs running around GF?

I’ve only seen one so far up here. How about down there in Bozeman?
Longtooth Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Progress pics. Yesterday I get home and Stevie had actually removed the electrical by himself. Was very proud of him. Tonight we got it up on the stands and removed to wheels. Sprayed all bolt connections down with WD40 so tomorrow will be the transaxle and IRS. Found a couple of in depth YouTube videos on the transaxle rebuild so a little more prepared for that. Our plan is to get everything stripped off and take a sandblaster to the frame. A few welds going to have fix or completely redo. Clean all the joints and welds up before primer it.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Lot's of newer Vanagons.( they don't really count)
I hardly see any ACVWs on the road.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

Jim,
VW transaxles are rather complicated to rebuild, with out the proper tools and fixtures to get them setup correctly.
Maybe leave that for later in your and Stevie's buggy build.

As a suggestion, look for and buy a really old copy of, John Muir's, "How to keep your vw alive, for the complete idiot.'
The older the printing the better.
The later reprints combine in water cooled cars and cloud the intent of the manual, as intended when it was first published.
It's a fun and informative read. Stevie will love it, I'm sure.

Have fun with your father and son buggy build.

I'll be following along on the team's journey.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

I'll expand on what he said....do NOT open up your transmission. You CAN NOT rebuild it yourself.

It takes special tools and jigs.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

PB Blaster is much better than WD40 for breaking loose rusty bolts.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mountain Buggy by Stevie Reply with quote

The transaxles that have been used with a stock engine are pretty bullet proof. Personally I would clean the outside, drain the oil and look closely for metal filings... there will be a bit of brass normally, check to see that all the gear positions feel normal (input shaft turns the output flanges in each gear) then set it aside and don't dig into it any further unless there is a good solid reason to.

Just taking it apart will tell you next to nothing unless you are familiar with exactly what to look for and what to measure.

That is what I just did with a used IRS I picked up and now it's in the car, full of fresh oil and working perfectly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: