Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder Head exhaust studs done me wrong
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
giddymachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Cylinder Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

Hello there folks.

I've got a 78 fi Westfalia and am replacing my rusted out exhaust. I removed the j-pipes as they were pretty mangled and of course the exhaust studs did me dirty. 3 of 8 stayed in and are fine. 3 others came out with the bolts on them but the threads look good in the head.

The other two are the issue. One came out with the threads from the head on it (pic 1) and one came out with what looks like a time-sert still connected to it (pic 2).

the last one is the one I'm really worried about since there does not look to be much meat on the bone. The threads in the head look like they are "kinda" there but damn thats a big hole.

Any suggestions on how to deal with these two? I'm maybe a step or two above a newb and I did replace heads on a 72 Squareback when I was in high school 40 years ago but I'm pretty sure this is something I'm gonna need some help with.

I've searched thru lots of posts on stud misery but haven't seen anything quite like this so figured I'd see if anyone had advice even if its "get new heads".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

Ugh..., I'd be looking into thread insert sleeves.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

Yes inserts will work, I have used Type 1 case savers where I needed a really large diameter insert.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't assume that the current hole can be used as a pilot for the drill bit for whatever you drill these out to. Just because the last dipshit might have drilled the hole out doesn't mean they properly lined it up so that the stud is correctly placed for the tight tolerance manifold.

Ask me how I know...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
Whatever you do, don't assume that the current hole can be used as a pilot for the drill bit for whatever you drill these out to. Just because the last dipshit might have drilled the hole out doesn't mean they properly lined it up so that the stud is correctly placed for the tight tolerance manifold.

Ask me how I know...

Were you visited by the same exhaust fairy?

Aluminum is soft and drills easily with a sharp bit. T4 exhaust studs are parallel with each other on each head, but the overalll engine shape has the studs angling away from each other.

//-----engine-----\\

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

You might consider the EZ-Loc thread insert, see if that solves the problem for you. Used this one one of my heads to fix a previous repair by the PO, and it's held up for about 14 years.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:

Ask me how I know...

An old manifold flange can be used as a drill guide. Start with a bit that barely fits through the hole in the flange to get things centered well or make a reducer of sorts to fit in the hole in the flange so you can start with a smaller bit.
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
wrxnofx wrote:

Ask me how I know...

Were you visited by the same exhaust fairy?

Aluminum is soft and drills easily with a sharp bit. T4 exhaust studs are parallel with each other on each head, but the overalll engine shape has the studs angling away from each other.

//-----engine-----\\

Robbie

Not the same fairy Wink

(206) 841 7324
giddymachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help everyone. Decided to get some professional fix this for me. There wasn't much meat on the bone to drill the bad one larger but luckily the threads were still in decent shape so he cased the threads and re-seated it. The other one he installed a helicoil and its solid now too. Got my exhaust installed with no problems.

Not dealing with a mangled pushrod but that is a story for another thread.

Hope to have her back on the road soon.

wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
wrxnofx wrote:

Ask me how I know...

An old manifold flange can be used as a drill guide. Start with a bit that barely fits through the hole in the flange to get things centered well or make a reducer of sorts to fit in the hole in the flange so you can start with a smaller bit.

That was my plan, too. I bought an old manifold for this purpose. However, the hole in the head was already drilled larger than the flange hole diameter. So I need to enlarge the hole in the flange to a diameter that might be larger than the flange itself. Basically, to fix it properly I need to insert an M10 time-sert and use a stepped stud (M10 to M8 ), so the hole for that thing is way larger than the meat on the flange. Consequently, I'm not sure what I can use as a drill guide.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cylindar Head exhaust studs done me wrong Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
wrxnofx wrote:

Ask me how I know...

That was my plan, too. I bought an old manifold for this purpose. However, the hole in the head was already drilled larger than the flange hole diameter. So I need to enlarge the hole in the flange to a diameter that might be larger than the flange itself. Basically, to fix it properly I need to insert an M10 time-sert and use a stepped stud (M10 to MCool, so the hole for that thing is way larger than the meat on the flange. Consequently, I'm not sure what I can use as a drill guide.

The old flange will still be able to help you center the bit and get the angle right. As mentioned start with a bit that barely fits in the flange. Drill with care doing whatever you can to keep the bit from walking. Once you get a hole that is properly aligned you can then go back and drill it larger in steps and the bits should follow the existing hole as you do the enlargement.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: