Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Never seen this two tone combo before. Looks like ultra maroon, with body color logos.

aren't ultra maroon and dolomite darker coloured?
l 273 metallic beige up to 4-1954 would also fit seat pleating.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

kaieric wrote:

You can never tell with ultra maroon, it never looks the same in pics or real life. While I think you are correct especially with the seat pattern but what throws me is the chart calls for pastel red centers on the wheel if beige poly, silver beige for ultramaroon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

kaieric wrote:
beautiful and unique outfit. note the beauty rings and black rims,probably ex factory.
interesting to see that secondary colour reached up beyond trims and met beading. never before payed attention to that.

Not sure what you mean about 'ex factory' but we were discussing the color layout in esdes thread where I learned the color break is under the trim not where the center and rim meet.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=784242

I dont think the side color passes the body trim, the metallic paint is just reflecting a similar shade.
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
kaieric wrote:

You can never tell with ultra maroon, it never looks the same in pics or real life. While I think you are correct especially with the seat pattern but what throws me is the chart calls for pastel red centers on the wheel if beige poly, silver beige for ultramaroon.

good point. i never met none of the two in real life, but polys indeed can be chameleon-like. great find!
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
kaieric wrote:
beautiful and unique outfit. note the beauty rings and black rims,probably ex factory.
interesting to see that secondary colour reached up beyond trims and met beading. never before payed attention to that.

Not sure what you mean about 'ex factory' but we were discussing the color layout in esdes thread where I learned the color break is under the trim not where the center and rim meet.

rather a seam layout in this case with black rims and center sporting body colour on this pre '56 vert.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

kaieric wrote:

I don’t think it’s above although the light hyper accentuates the metallic and makes it look brighter. If you look at the open door, the two tone separation point is even with the chrome on the door.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
kaieric wrote:

I don’t think it’s above although the light hyper accentuates the metallic and makes it look brighter. If you look at the open door, the two tone separation point is even with the chrome on the door.

I think you’re right, the front quarter panel definitely looks like the paint doesn’t go above the trim.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

If you look at the open door, the two tone separation point is even with the chrome on the door.

right. the colours meet exactly the moulding.
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Hi All,

In an attempt to do something to the convertible that is not on my short term punch list (like getting it to run properly) I have fixed all of my wood bows and broken loose all of the frozen hinges and rivets.

This metal frame is quite an interesting engineering feat as are the window regulators.

I want to paint it the body color and its pretty grimy and rusty so I am thinking of having it media blasted.

I started thinking about getting all of the media out of all of the moving pivot points and now I am not sure thats a good idea.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on this?

Peter
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I would check with others, about the less radical blast is. IE walnuts pecans or whatever the media is…it’s imparitve that’s you don’t blow the whole thing apart.
Yes the Kabriolet is quite an engineering feat..back in the day..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I managed to clean up the roof mechanism by hand and a small amount of walnut shells. I primed and painted it and did a test fit.

I am now going to work on making the metal bow. I have access to a well equipped metal shop with a forge and bending wheels. I made one a year ago but I will try again with a bit more experience. It was decent and will be hidden but the top really needs to follow the contours of the other bows.

This post is more about some missing parts, like the rear window frame.

I read through Lars' long thread and stumbled upon this metal frame..

Well, that was a surprise! Not only am I missing the wood frame but a metal one! No mention of this on Chucks site, or availability of the wood frame.

maybe: https://kaeferland-shop.de/en/Mechanics/Convertibl...ar-54-7/57

The hold down latches are side specific. Forward leaning or rear leaning?

2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

All righty then, let's guess what these wood bits are and were they go, because I have no clue. Its interesting that they are partially green when the other pieces had been painted Inca Red.

thanks

Peter

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Inside quarter facing, I'm sure there is one on each side ?

1963 Hard Top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Yes, one on each side. Definitely a left and a right, and which one is which should become evident when you fit it against your frame. The "C" shaped cut out if I remember correctly, allows you to pass the wiring harness between the wood and the frame down below top of the body level...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

Awesome thanks folks

Peter
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Yes, one on each side. Definitely a left and a right, and which one is which should become evident when you fit it against your frame. The "C" shaped cut out if I remember correctly, allows you to pass the wiring harness between the wood and the frame down below top of the body level...
Bill

I found a better pic in your gallery Bill Very Happy #8 wooden fillers.
Even though 2Dokas question was answered I Posted the pic in case someone else needs a reference of top parts and placement.

1963 Hard Top

2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
Inside quarter facing, I'm sure there is one on each side ?

Okay, that's not them.

Those are already installed. They have one large screw and 2 smaller ones that hold the end in a small metal bracket.

The ones in question have only 2 screws and some significant cut outs for metal or something.

I am not seeing any other wood filler pieces in either of those images. Nor in Chucks full kit.

They came with the car but I am not finding them in all of my pictures. They are green and not red like the original pieces being Inca Red. I wonder if they belong to a later year model?

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

2Dokas wrote:

They came with the car but I am not finding them in all of my pictures. They are green and not red like the original pieces being Inca Red. I wonder if they belong to a later year model?

Gotta love extra mystery parts.
If it is correct, you know it's made from inobtanium, so you don't dare let it go. But where does its go?
The curse of someone else's project Laughing
I chased my tail for hours trying to track down some things that came with a lot of 356 stuff I had. Looked close to the correct parts, but wasn't, and I eventually figured they were from some Mercedes sedan.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

I was wrong above. I have new versions of the wooden parts that you're asking about brand new and also my old used remnants in my collection of parts for the upcoming restoration of a 57 convertible. Those wooden pieces you asked about (which are missing a thin plywood that is glued to them) are the "hinge covers" for lack of a better word. I took some photos of my new "covers" with the plywood attached to them and it'll make more sense. The one that has that "U" shaped channel carved into it is the right side piece that I believe does contain and allow the wiring harness to pass in the "U" shaped trough in the wood.

In the last two photos I am holding the left side hinge cover in place with my finger at the roof hinge attaching point.

Hopefully this helps you understand what you have there, you're just missing the plywood panels. These hinge covers get wrapped/covered in your cloth upholstery before installation.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Oval Convertibles thread and Registry Reply with quote

You nailed it!

Peter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 204, 205, 206  Next
Jump to:
Page 205 of 206

Jump to: