Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Wild Westerner Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New Card & The Band Plays ON Smile

2002 Snap Orange Turbo Beetle (Daughter)
1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

Card Carrying Member of the International Wild Westerner Club
America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Newb to the forum with a Wild Westerner Reply with quote

ehgriffith wrote:
Mine is 2232-196-784. We purchased her back in 2012, and having been doing work slowly. Engine has been rebuilt and running pretty good. Fighting with electrical now. I bought this from a young guy in Irwindale, CA, but do not have much history other than that. The blue stripe was painted over, but I am ready to get a paint job back to original colors pretty soon as well. I will post some pictures soon. I am close to Lake Elsinore, and will try and stop by in the next few weeks and get the numbers from the ones that are there.

Eric and Ruth Griffith, Murreita, CA.

Some hints on the electrical, make sure the contacts on the fuse panel are clean also in the rear engine compartment all those brown ground wires need to have a good connection for the rear lights to work properly. These are the areas i have had most of the electrical issues.

Tis the Season ...

1973 Wild Westerner (Son) Vin #2232203230... Production Date Monday May 14, 1973 *** Destination Portland, Or.

America (65) - Austria (1) -Canada (1)- Denmark (1) - France (1)- Germany (5) - Mexico (4) - The Netherlands (2) Portugal (1) - United Kingdom (3)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: just saved one too... Reply with quote

Hi all.
I have looked at this thread a few times in the past year or so. pretty intriguing.
So when I asked a guy from a craigslist ad (with no pictures and very general, short description) to send me a couple pics of the bus he bought to use the engine/trans in his sandrail and wants the rest gone...I was happy to see the mysterious combo of WW! Smile
I got it now.

The Vin is 2232203003

Original manual and vinyl folder in glovebox from:
MODERN MOTORS
816 W. Sixth
The Dalles, Oregon

Somewhere along the line it got a camper kit installed (I dont know this type?).
Started in Oregon, lived most of life in Arizona, got legal Lein papers from seller...now its mine legit.
Body is rust free!!!
Unfortunately the guy I got it from doesnt want to let go of the engine and trans. Ugh....maybe I can talk him into it soon.

Anyway, I am totally ADD style with my VW's, and I shouldnt have even got this...but just couldnt help myself.

It is far back on my list of unfinished VWs though.
Fun one!
Can I be acknowledged even if its gonna sit for a bit again? Confused

***I hope I linked these photos correctly...I've been a member since 2003, but I honestly am pretty reserved as far as sharing online! LOL
g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...oh yah, and in case I made it sound like it was free---it wasnt.
...but it was reasonable asking price originally, he came down a few hundred without much dickering, and he even delivered it to me from a nearby city!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi congrats.
Never seen that pop top. Can you post some pix of the interior. Can you read the tag circled in red?

Thank You
Tcash
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to see that Pop top!
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugfresh wrote:
I really want to see that Pop top!

Ditto. That is a new one to me. Let's see the interior too please Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: mystery camper kit (WW) Reply with quote

ok.
So I went to look and see if the circled area by Tcash (good observation!) was readable. It was dark already and I'm several miles from where it is stored. Turned out to be a "ghost area" that probably used to house a decal of maker. Sad
I looked around again with a flashlight for any other indications of tags...none visible with that. Hopefully when I dig into it to clean it all out I can find something.
You will notice on the pic below of the inside of the poptop that there look to be a plate with info on it. It has instructions rather than maker info.
I have yet to actually pop the top up! It looks like it will be different than any I've seen.
The pics below are messy and kinda lame, but one is from cell phone of seller, and the rest are quick snaps at time of delivery.
Any ideas and insight are welcome!

dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: mystery camper kit (WW) Reply with quote

Rat infestation... Grosss

Looks similar to that Ashbow or another that I found in seattle... or similar to an econoline pop top... sides fold up to hold up the top!

Hippie Infestation!! Burn it to the Ground

g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugfresh:
Believe it or not, I didnt see much evidence of rodent activity (mostly leaves and dirt). The foam food container was just thrown in by the guy I got it from when he was pulling the engine/trans. Like I said though...I havent really started disecting yet!
Thanks for the thoughts on camper kit, I will have to look into the "Ashbow" and similar.
Prior Hippie infestation is evident, yes...as well as possible "Lil Chica Infestation" (evidence: glittery "bratz"-type, coin machine, chola stickers everywhere!!) LOL...or just a lttile girl with some quarters to burn anyway.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda resembles a Safare (Paramount Ca)?

Safare Custom Camper
Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super...That is a serial number we don't have. Look at the master list on page 80 of this forum. We have a section called spotted with no serial numbers and see if you have a possible match.

The major news here is another has been found and in the hands of someone who appreciates owning a Special Edition VW Bus.
At some point it will be cruising the highways again. Smile

Looking in my Crystal Ball ... I see a Wild Westerner Reunion in the near future. Dancing

RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time to start planning this reunion. Any ideas where and when?

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
I think it's time to start planning this reunion. Any ideas where and when?

I'm not in Westerner Central anymore, but I am in the center of the country!

There is a nice lake/State Park north of Manhattan.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
g_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did the decoder for my newly aquired WW Funky Camper:

Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder

Decode Results:
Production Date: May 14, 1973
Exported To: USA, Portland
Designation: 7 Seater Micro Bus
Engine KW (BHP): 49 (66)
Transmission Type: manual
Engine: *
Transmission Code: -
Extras Code: 147
Paint / Interior
Paint Scheme: Bottom: Ravanna Green / Upper Half: Apple Green / Belt Stripe: Olympia Blue
Paint Codes: L65K / L64K / L51P
Paint Notes: Wild Westerner Appearance Package
Interior Scheme: black
Interior Material: leatherette
Interior Notes:
Options
D32:
162: Rubber molding for bumpers
508: With vent wings in passenger compart. opposite sliding door [F -- 211 2300 000] / With vent wing in sliding door and in all windows in the opposite side of panel [F 212 2000 001 -- 217 2300 000] / Sliding window in the sliding doorand in opposite side panel [F 218 2000 001 --] / Sliding window in the side panel opposite the sliding door [F 218 2000 001 --] / With vent wing in the double cab door and in the opposite side panel [F 212 2000 001 --]
736:
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint scheme needs to be corrected to bottom Apple Green L64M, top Ravenna Green L65k.

RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint scheme needs to be corrected to bottom Apple Green L64M, top Ravenna Green L65k.

Bill Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting g man my sons Wild Westerner has the same production date May 14, 1973 and same destination Portland, Or. If possible add your production date and port of entry to your avatar therefore it will be easy for us to compile everyone's data for comparison.

Maybe some others will use use the M code decoder so we can determine dates and ports of entry. This will let us focus on the area and or dealers in 1973 near the port with most imports (maybe).

This information may help solve the Mystery of The Wild Westerner's origin by knowing where most were imported.

Until next time:

Peace Out Very Happy

TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collie wrote:
Bill Sullivan wrote:
Have lost contact with our friend in Wadesboro,NC that has the Safari Wild Westerner for sale

I will post this on the FMBC site...there are lots of stalkers, errr, members there that may know the owner. Very Happy

Well, I see it is back up on ebay for $1500...but I also read the post on FMBC from the guy who drove by it a year ago and said it looked pretty thrashed...and since unfortunately the owner never emailed me back, I have no way to verify either way...And Wadesboro is not too far for me to pick up a bus, but too far to go down just for a look-see without more info first...sigh...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamSpatula wrote:

Well, I see it is back up on ebay for $1500...but I also read the post on FMBC from the guy who drove by it a year ago and said it looked pretty thrashed...and since unfortunately the owner never emailed me back, I have no way to verify either way...And Wadesboro is not too far for me to pick up a bus, but too far to go down just for a look-see without more info first...sigh...

I don't like hightops, but I'd buy it if I had a way to get it. I'd love to have a Wild Westerner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 87 of 169

Jump to: