Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'85 Automatic Shift Points
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

YOU adjusted the THROTTLE PLATE.. but NOT the position of the transmission relay shaft (manual valve) the relay lever can be fore/aft and of course still allow full throttle plate action. in fact the trans will not kick down untill the throttleplate is at WOT (stops moving) and then the pedal MUST have the additional movement to pull the throttle rod compressing the spring on the rod at the throttle plate.
it sounds like you are only seeing one point of action & adjustment in the throttle linkages. when there are 2 actions.. throttle & transmission manual valve (kickdown) but this also effects the when/how firm the trans shifts..
it does this to allow a soft upshift on light throttle and a firmer upshift under heavy throttle at slow speeds..

also your request and inquiry to anyone with a 1.9 AT for hard facts is tough to get this time of the year at least 50% of vans are tucked away for the winter..
add that very very few 1.9 ATs were equipped with a tach (only 84/85 Wolfsburghs came with a tach) that lessens your target audience of helpful souls.

?Waldo? wrote:
As I stated in my first post, I already adjusted the rod from trans to throttle body very precisely. It is at idle when released and hits full throttle just prior to kickdown. I understand how that works and how to adjust it and have already done so.

Is there really no one on this forum with a 1.9 WBX automatic who is willing to do a full throttle acceleration and report back what the rpms are at the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
...in fact the trans will not kick down untill the throttleplate is at WOT (stops moving) and then the pedal MUST have the additional movement to pull the throttle rod compressing the spring on the rod at the throttle plate.

That is correct. With the current adjustment I have full range of motion for the throttle prior to kickdown. Pushing further for kickdown works fine and compresses the spring on the throttle linkage as it should.
Quote:
it sounds like you are only seeing one point of action & adjustment in the throttle linkages. when there are 2 actions.. throttle & transmission manual valve (kickdown) but this also effects the when/how firm the trans shifts..

As I mentioned, the kickdown works correctly. Are you saying you can adjust the 'manual valve' so that the upshift at pre-kickdown full throttle occurs at a higher rpm? How would I go about that.

Quote:
add that very very few 1.9 ATs were equipped with a tach (only 84/85 Wolfsburghs came with a tach) that lessens your target audience of helpful souls.

I've actually owned three non-wolfsburg 1985's that had tachometers so I do not believe that is correct. One of them is the van currently in discussion and the other two had manual transmissions.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

yes, this is accomplished by loosening the cable adjustment at the pedal,
adjusting the throttle rod at the spring at the throttle body then taking the slack out at the throttle pedal. this will move the manual valve (relay lever) at the AT fore/aft some, this will effect the firm/soft of the shift points.. too soft and it will linger on shifts.. too firm and it will jump into the next gear sooner.. so there is a little dialing in to your preference in driveability.
?Waldo? wrote:
Are you saying you can adjust the 'manual valve' so that the upshift at pre-kickdown full throttle occurs at a higher rpm? How would I go about that.

to this I'd say congrats... and it is not the ratio I have seen or worked on 84/85 vanagons.. most have the big old clock. maybe more 85s had a tach than 84s. but still a small population readily able to give you the numbers you demand at mid winter.
Quote:
I've actually owned three non-wolfsburg 1985's that had tachometers so I do not believe that is correct. One of them is the van currently in discussion and the other two had manual transmissions.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
yes, this is accomplished by loosening the cable adjustment at the pedal,
adjusting the throttle rod at the spring at the throttle body then taking the slack out at the throttle pedal. this will move the manual valve (relay lever) at the AT fore/aft some, this will effect the firm/soft of the shift points.. too soft and it will linger on shifts.. too firm and it will jump into the next gear sooner.. so there is a little dialing in to your preference in driveability.

I feel like I don't understand. Granted I'm not under the van looking at it right now, but if I move the relay lever forward (for a later shift) won't it just end up in kickdown? How do you make that adjustment but leave kickdown where it currently is for the pedal position?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

it doesn't take much variation in position of the lever
think about it.
there is adjustment at both ends of the throttle assembly.. with a fixed point on the lever in the middle.

but anyways.. what is your problem that asked the original question? that it gets into gear too soon..
there are only 2 points of input to the transmission that is only impacted either by the governor or the manual valve (relay lever).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Ok, then that's a non-starter. The range of motion of the pedal/throttle/kickdown is all perfect. I get full range of throttle and kickdown works correctly.

When holding the pedal right before kickdown, the 1-2 upshift occurs at 2,900 rpms. That seems irritatingly early for full throttle. I'd prefer the 1-2 full throttle upshift closer to 4,000 rpms so 2nd gear starts with a bit more power. Yes, I know I can use the kickdown range to keep it from upshifting until higher rpms, or use the shifter to hold it in 1 longer but that's an irritating way to drive an automatic.

My two questions in this thread have been:
1. Is a full throttle (no kickdown) 1-2 upshift at 2,900 correct or is it early and indicative of a fault (e.g. line pressure, governor, valve body)?
2. Is there a way to adjust the shift points? How?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

yeah I'm tapping out here too..

I'm certain there's more 1.9AT knowledgeable folk around here than us 2.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
Using the specs from the Bentley and a stock size tire it calculates out to about 2500-3500 for the 1-2 shift and 3000-3500 for the 2-3 shift.

Looks like it falls within spec.

If you don't trust the gear ratio calculations or speedometer. Put a GPS on it and see if the MPH falls in the range specified in the Bentley manual
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Indeed. I do not trust the speedo or the calcs. I do not actually have GPS but have been planning on hitting up a friend in order to confirm the accuracy of the speedo and to check how the shift points fall with regard to the spec.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
If it isn't shifting correctly then...

That is the question I keep asking... is a 2,900 rpm full throttle upshift from 1-2 correct or is it an early shift that indicates a fault (e.g. in line pressure, governor, or valve body)?

If I were to lengthen the rod 1/8", the throttle would no longer be pulled to full throttle prior to entering kickdown. If I were to shorten the rod 1/8", the throttle would no longer reach idle when there was not any pressure on the pedal.

The adjustment of the throttle rod is the first adjustment to make in my mind, you can then adjust the cable as need be. The 1/8" adjustment suggested above is actually likely way more than needed, you may only need 1/2 or one turn of the adjustment screw as the system is pretty sensitive. This is a seat of the pants adjustment, just keep adjusting it until you like the way the tranny shifts.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Automatik Getriebe fur Volkswagen und Audi

September 1974
400/280.815.00

An exhaustive description of the 010 transmission

edit:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_8.PDF

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

djkeev, thanks for the link. I enjoyed looking through it, but I do not read German.

Wildthings, no adjustment of the throttle linkage (from where it is now) can possibly make any significant rise in the pre-kickdown full pedal upshift rpms. If you reread the discussion that I had with danfromsyr, you can see that clearly. The only thing that it can achieve at this point is to reduce the throttle opening and consequently power at that pedal position.

I will call it good for now. The van drives quite well overall and it is a minor detail. I will confirm speedo accuracy when I can and compare shift speeds to the Bentley. If I run out of other things to do (ha ha ha) I might shave some weight off the governor to raise the shift points.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

danfromsyr? wrote:
Ok, then that's a non-starter. The range of motion of the pedal/throttle/kickdown is all perfect.

?Waldo? wrote:
there are only 2 points of input to the transmission that is only impacted either by the governor or the manual valve (relay lever)

Dan and I are telling you the same thing, that your throttle rod which gives input from the engine to the relay lever/manual valve is not adjusted correctly, that is your only adjustment unless you want to start whittling away at your governor weights or grinding off/shimming springs in the valve body neither of which are recommended or mentioned in the Bentley. The system is set up with a slight amount of additional travel in the throttle rod, which is why there is a spring at the throttle body. If you don't have additional travel then adjust the rod as suggested and then figure out why there is insufficient travel.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

It seems like I'm talking to a wall. I DO have the additional rod traven into the kickdown range.

As I have stated repeatedly, the throttle linkage rod is adjusted TO PERFECTION. I get full range of throttle from idle to full throttle stops before hitting the kickdown range. The kickdown range is then correctly accessible by pressing the pedal further. When accessing the kickdown range, the spring at the end of the rod compresses as it should (while the throttle is still fully open) and allows the kickdown. Kickdown functions properly with the correct downshift of the trans when accessed. Adjusting the linkage rod at this point is a NON-STARTER. It can only result in either losing the idle position of the throttle if adjusted one way, or losing full throttle pre-kickdown if adjusted the other.

BTW, your two quotes are backwards regarding who said what.

Yes, I now understand that at this point if I want to raise the full pedal pre-kickdown upshift rpm, I will need to adjust governor (or maybe valve body, but governor would be easier).

What I still do not know definitively... is what I have asked over, and over, and over since post 1... Is the (irritatingly early) full throttle pre-kickdown 2,900 rpm 1-2 upshift correct stock behavior or does it indicate an internal issue in the trans (e.g. line pressure, governor, valve body)?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Adjust the rod and you can have your tranny shifting up at 4000 rpms if you want or keep claiming you have the rod adjusted to perfection and live with it shifting at 2900.

I'm done here.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Unbelievable. I HAVE adjusted the rod both ways. I either LOSE idle or LOSE full throttle pre-kickdown. Adjusting the rod either way does *NOT* affect the pre-kickdown upshift rpm AT ALL.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Unbelievable. I HAVE adjusted the rod both ways. I either LOSE idle or LOSE full throttle pre-kickdown. Adjusting the rod either way does *NOT* affect the pre-kickdown upshift rpm AT ALL.

I agree with the ones telling you to adjust the rod length.

BUT: You need to shorten the wire in order not to loose idle or full throttle. I suspect you havent done that, or?

Under the floor up front there is a plastic box and inside that you can adjust the wire.

Maybe not a good explanation, but the total length of wire+rod needs to be constant. Otherwise you loose either idle or full throttle. So if you lengthen the rod, you must shorten the wire, and oposite.

In that way you can adjust the shift point.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Aside from the fact that I have tried all of the recommended adjustments without even one iota of effect on the shift point at 'full throttle pre-kickdown"...

Consider the fact that there is only one lever on the trans and that lever encompasses the range of throttle and pedal motion from idle to full throttle and into kickdown itself. Also consider the fact that the 'full throttle pre-kickdown' position is a singular position of that one lever on the trans, where it is resting against the kickdown, but not pushing into the kickdown range - that singular position of that lever is determined by the transmission itself and not the throttle or pedal. Consider further the fact that all adjustments to the accelerator pedal/cable or throttle linkage rod will still find that lever in the exact same position for 'full throttle pre-kickdown', because that position is a function of the transmission itself and not a function of the throttle or the pedal.

Considering all of those FACTS, how can adjusting the linkage rod (external to trans) or accelerator cable (external to trans) ever result in any change to the shift rpm (internal to trans) when for any possible adjustment, the trans lever MUST always be in the same position when it is 'full throttle pre-kickdown' and that trans lever position is the only input to the trans that determines shift point rpm?
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

Man oh man -- this is a voluntary site and those taking time to help you are doing so out of their busy day. So, despite the fact that you come a cross rude and frustrated at those who are taking time and effort to help YOU, I have also taken time to help you.

I warmed up the 1984, 1.9 Auto today where it is normally garaged for the winter. I do not have a tach, so don't tell me you are talking to the wall, I am trying to help you, but I did get some MPH results.

Pedal to the floor, but no kick down, shift at 20MPH right where the little red dot on the speedo is. Second shift at 41MPH, right where the two red dots on the speedo are.

Sorry if that MPH reading drives you mad, but it's as good as anyone here is willing to do for you it seems. I ride on 215/65/R16s. You can do the math.

Perhaps try another tactic -- thanks and respect for other's efforts to help you.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 Automatic Shift Points Reply with quote

The information of a 20MPH 1-2 shift along with your tire size is very useful. It is the closest anyone has come to answering the actual question I've been asking and as such is much appreciated. Thank you very much for that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: