Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The fittings pretty much perfectly line up, out the bottom into the filter and back in the top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I’ll lines are run

Rock guard, seems pretty sturdy

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Costa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Only thing that may be concerning is if the motor mounts give way and there not being enough slack in the line.

Josh
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I'm a fan, looks clean. Next do the fuel line that way!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Costa66 wrote:
Only thing that may be concerning is if the motor mounts give way and there not being enough slack in the line.

Josh

If the engine and transaxle separate, I got bigger problems then some short oil lines. 😜

scrivyscriv wrote:
I'm a fan, looks clean. Next do the fuel line that way!

Thanks! It was kinda a spendy set up that I didn’t have planned. I wanted one, my builder doesn't like putting the filter in the wheel well. We planned on running the 26mm Maxi Pump again. But, then he basically had the full flow all machined into the case when he cleaned out the oil galleys, so we went for it. My idea of putting the fittings through the fender was an idea that he thought was cool and made the decision happen.

The fuel lines will be set up the same from the last engine. If you go back to page 11 and look at the engine pics, you’ll see that the line is barely noticeable .

Minus the oil lines, I’m sure it’s gonna look exactly like the 2109 that was removed. Performance should be a lot better too.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I only mention it because I've been thinking about doing a bulkhead fitting on the left side of my 1967 bug engine bay for the fuel line, instead of going through the forward engine tin hole as stock. Grommets are okay for wires and cables, but I'm a big fan of bulkhead fittings for fluid lines, sort of like your oil fittings, although it does look like you're going straight in to the body of the filter mount with regular fittings. Still a good design the way it's set up.
You'd think with all the years of aftermarket stuff, someone would come up with a good place and design for a remote oil filter, and they haven't (that i'm aware of)!! We all just have to engineer to our level of satisfaction and peace of mind.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Rock guard fits like a glove.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Progress!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Rock guard fits like a glove.

I like the idea of the rock guard but just an observation.

The rock guard looks a bit longer than the filter that you have. Is there a likelihood that a large rock could actually hit the rock guard and break off the filter housing because there is a long fulcrum/lever now? It's not obvious (to me) how the rock guard fits.

Is it worth adding a bracket at the end of the rock guard to remove the fulcrum issue and reduce the risk of damage. Yes you would have to work on how you can remove the rock guard and spin off the filter. Perhaps a simple bracket welded on and then attached to the body?

I guess I'm thinking of the worst case scenario of a big rock and perhaps the probability is low. Just thinking.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I don't know what filter he's using but the common PH1A most people use is BIG. The rock guard looks about the right size for one.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Viking, good eye. The current filter is a WIX 51085 which is a short filter. When the filter was purchased, we weren’t exactly sure how the layout was gonna be. So I bought the short one to be on the safe side. I actually bought 2 of them. There was a particular rock guard/heat sink I was looking for, but I have been unable to locate one. I bought the current rock guard b/c it is what’s available. Although everyone who posted on the thread I started in the performance forum states they don’t use a rock guard and they’ve never had issues. 🤷‍♂️. I will use the shorty to start and again at 400 miles service. Then at the 1400 miles service I will change over to the longer WIX 51515, which will take up the whole interior of the guard.

Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be posting a picture of a long block. 🤞
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Lookin good Richie!
you gotta be stoked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The rock guard is a cool idea! I like it…..but the bigger issue you need to protect against is tire treads from semi trucks. Those things ring the fender when they slap up against the inside of the fender. That canister cover is just a larger target!

Just a thought as I just ran over a big chunks of rubber, a few days ago, flying down PCH! I was able to avoid it hitting on the drivers side where the filter rests by turning the steering wheel at the last minute! It ended up passing under the middle of the car!

Regardless, I like the idea, but it still seems like a target. You need to fabricate a steel box that bolts up into that area, with a little bit of air space, inside the box for deformation. Then you would have a chance.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I’ll lines are run

Nice work so far! I have a few questions about the full flow oil routing
I'm wondering how the builder has the case plumbed to work as pictured.
The lower line in the picture is the beginning of the oil galley, closest to the pump. This is the location usually used to return filtered oil to the case, but here it appears your builder is using it to supply the filter. I can't see how this works to supply oil to the engine and filter unless he's plugged the oil passage somewhere. Has he buried a plug in the galley under the fitting? And then the top line (I assume is clean oil from the filter) is feeding the oil galley from what is usually the end, near the #4 bearing supply and pressure switch. Feeding the oil to this end works, but the cooler bypass piston will be inoperable.
None of this is a criticism, just me asking questions trying to understand what's been done here.
SD
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Looking good! Thanks for sharing the ideas Rich.

I wonder if this will be the last motor JB will put out before he retires? Question
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Has he buried a plug in the galley under the fitting? And then the top line (I assume is clean oil from the filter) is feeding the oil galley from what is usually the end, near the #4 bearing supply and pressure switch. Feeding the oil to this end works, but the cooler bypass piston will be inoperable.
SD

The case is plugged, not the oil pump outlet. Oil leaves the pump and exits the horizontal galley rather than entering the opening into the vertical galley that connects to the oil cooler relief valve, the cooler and the oil pressure switch galley as normal. It then goes through the filter and enters the main galley above the cooler relief valve just two inches or so above where it normally would from the factory.
If you study the oil network, there is no connection to #4 main bearing and any of the galleys mentioned. There is a separate oil galley between #3 and #4.

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Looking good! Thanks for sharing the ideas Rich.

I wonder if this will be the last motor JAD will put out before he retires? Question

I hope not. It’ll be a sad day in the ACVW community the day he hangs up the tools.

Almost ready to be “stabbed in” as JAD likes to say….
Looks just like the engine that was removed 😂

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

The case is plugged, not the oil pump outlet. Oil leaves the pump and exits the horizontal galley rather than entering the opening into the vertical galley that connects to the oil cooler relief valve, the cooler and the oil pressure switch galley as normal. It then goes through the filter and enters the main galley above the cooler relief valve just two inches or so above where it normally would from the factory.
If you study the oil network, there is no connection to #4 main bearing and any of the galleys mentioned. There is a separate oil galley between #3 and #4.

Very cool. Now that you describe it, I can see the connection to the case is not the typical port behind the pulley, but above that.
Thanks
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Oh yea!!!!! Full report to come after I pick up the car. I believe it’s going for a alignment tomorrow, so maybe I’ll pick it up on Tuesday.

Lots of room for the tires.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I picked up the car yesterday morning, woot woot! Wifey dropped me off at the shop, I loaded up the parts that didn’t get used, the tires and shot the shit with the builder for a bit.

The car fired right up and after a few pumps of the gas it went right to idle. The builder was very happy with how it idled with the 297A (VZ25) cam. The drive home was about 30 miles, all highway driving. The car drove very nice, it is very tight. I cruised around 60 and did a lot of engine braking to help set the rings. It’s not surprising the car it so tight, it’s basis new car. It’s been about 4 months since I had the car last, here’s a list of things that were done.

2175cc
9.25:1
AS41 case w/custom full flow
78.4 CB Super Race crank w/Chevy rod journals
5.4 CB H-Beam rods
94mm Mahle P&Cs
Total Seal rings
Engle cam with Berg 297A grind (aka VZ25)
CB straight cut cam gears
CB 044 heads
Thundermingo IDF48s
CB intakes, filter bases and linkage
phonic spacers
Vintage Speed 57/35 Super Flow exhaust
Real 009 with Petronix
30mm oil pump
Scat 1 1/2 qt sump
Kats VW-15 sump heater
KEP stage 1 clutch
Veleo disc
Vdo oil pressure and oil temp senders and guages
Working T-Stat and flaps
German long block tin and Chinese 36 hp fan shroud
Brosol fuel pump
Summit Racing oil fittings and oil lines
CB crank and Alternator pulleys

Transaxle rebuild w/new bearings, syncros and new boots
CB Rhino Trans mounts
VS 12” Classic Shifter
New German rear drums
New e-brake cables
Carb Windows
Rear torsion adjustment to 20° w/new bushings
New tie rods
5.5” wide rims in rear
205/75R15 Hankook tires in rear
4 wheel alignment

Basically a new car…

I’ll be taking it back to the shop for the 400 mile service, I’m sure that won’t take too long to put those miles on.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Nice! Enjoy your 'new' ride and keep us posted with updates.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: