Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose alternator belt even with no shims why?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradyy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Took off my cracked alternator belt to put on my new alternator belt from jbugs and even with no shims it’s still loose, why? The old belt had a part number of 25515 11A0900 but I can’t find the belt that is like it. Why doesn’t my new alternator belt work for my alternator?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

belt appears to be too narrow as it appears to ride below the top of the generator pully. with no shims the belt of correct width should ride higher, near the outer diameter of that pulley.

of course maybe you got the two generator pulley halves indexed wrong, such that the wide location tang is over the narrow slot, and thus the two halves are not correctly seated with each other.

the other thing, are you using a power pulley (smaller than stock crank pulley)
Empi Power Pulley is 5 13/16 inch diameter, empi std pulley is 6 3/4 inch dia.

A power pulley requires this belt....
https://www.jbugs.com/product/9120.html?rrec=true

what was part number of new belt?
Bradyy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the comment. The part number For the new belt I got is 113X912
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Do you have shims under the nut and hat assembly? Total 8 shims...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

From that angle, it looks like a power pulley.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
From that angle, it looks like a power pulley.

Agreed. That definitely looks like a smaller pulley, which means the belt is too big.

measure your Pulley and search in the performance forum. I found this with a quick search.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735766&highlight=belt
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

I see the shims laying on the engine tin. You need all the shims on the alternator shaft even if none of them are between the pulley halves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Go to your local auto parts store and buy a couple of belts and fit the one that works the best...return the others. Simple fix

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Go to your local auto parts store and buy a couple of belts and fit the one that works the best...return the others. Simple fix

EXACTLY !!! Take belt with you, get slightly smaller; store will go by measurement, they have a fixture.

On my two Nissan Frontiers, of the three belts, I use two that are slightly shorter than what the computer information states. Be smarter than a computer !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Bradyy02 wrote:
Hey thanks for the comment. The part number For the new belt I got is 113X912

The new belt is longer than the old, 912 mm verses 900 mm (about half an inch longer)

You have what appears to be an empi type crank pulley. empi makes this pulley in either standard or power pully styles. Measaure this pulley diameter as per my prior post above. then go to the JBug website to order the belt you need.

What you had for the old belt is not one of the types listed at JBugs. remember that a narrow belt rides lower in the pulley groove, so a narrow belt need be shorter, a wider belt rides higher in the pulley groove, so a wider belt needs to be longer. So you need to consider both diameter and width of the belt.

Your best bet is to measure you crank pulley diameter to confirm if power pulley or not. Then ortder the correct belt from J Bugs.
a power pulley does turn the fan slower, so that can cause over heating unless you are high reving all the time. I dont like the power pulley for that reason.
Or your best bet maybe to take the old belt into a parts store and have it matched. It MUST match in both length and width., sure if you get one a tad wider, then it MUST be a tad longer and visa versa.

PS as others have noted, you MUST store the extra shims all on the pulley, 8 shims total, the extras get placed under the flanged retainer outside of the pulley on the nut end of the pulley. The reason is that if the shims are not there, the nut can bottom out before fully gripping the pulley halves together, and that will damage the pulley over time, even damage the shaft.
Plus the extra shims might be handy if you need to make an emergency belt change on the road and cant find the exact same belt, you need to be able to adjust for this. Note a new belt may initially stretch a bit, so recheck tension periodically. Carry a spare belt always. Keep it in the trunk for emergency. You cant drive but a minute or so with no belt before engine damage happens.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

At any engine RPM a power pulley will not properly cool an engine due to the cooling fan running slower, so that results in less cooling air is pumped over all the engine cooling surfaces. Better to get the larger stock pulley for doghouse cooling.

Daily driving one is not going to notice the slightly less HP at the wheels with stock pulley. A properly cooled engine will have much better longevity.

Power pulley is only a good option if one is actually going to do the 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip, when one can win or loose due to a fraction of a second difference. At that point one might as well just loose the cooling fan, gen/alt and install one or more electric cooling fans instead after each pass on the drag strip.
Bradyy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

I do have my 8 shims under the alternator shaft guys. The ones on the side were just ones I bought just in case I needed any extras, the guy I bought the bug from was lazy on fixing it and had some things messed up
Bradyy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

I just measured my pulley and it’s a stock pulley 6 3/4. Anything else it could be?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

I think it's been answered... a shorter or wider belt is needed.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think it's been answered... a shorter or wider belt is needed.

^^^^^
THIS

It's not rocket science, if the belt you have it too long... get a shorter one.

As suggested, buy a few different sizes and return the ones you don't need.

I run a 890mm belt even though the stock size is a 912mm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Belts stretch, and pulleys wear. Plus, new belts are not always made to exact lengths and widths. Hence the GOOD advice to buy several and return those that aren't right.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Bradyy02 wrote:
I just measured my pulley and it’s a stock pulley 6 3/4. Anything else it could be?

Could be someone put it on a lathe to make the groove deeper. Could be it was manufactured that way. Could be the soft aluminum has worn down.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Bradyy02 wrote:

Stock pulley is 7”

I run a 6 3/4” pulley on my bus motor and a 7” pulley on my beetle motor. Both engines have a Contitech 11.3x912 belt.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/111903137E-MFG...gLY4_D_BwE
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Loose alternator belt even with no shims why? Reply with quote

Try a Dayco Top Cog 15315 NOTE*15355 is corrected part number
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: