Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

I picked up a used housing & installed new bearings, I keep it under the back seat

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
Man, I live in Phoenix, and Affordable is *still* a long drive!

Ditto. It's on the opposite side of town for me, which is why my van hasn't been there... yet.

khughes wrote:
And I can't believe Doug hit the true rush hour coming down I-17, he didn't use one single curse word! He'd still be cursing if he'd hit when it was BAD. Brick wall

I-17 from Roosevelt Lake?

Regardless, it's not just 17. Every freeway in and around Phoenix is a nightmare during rush hour. Actually, surface streets aren't much better either. Mad

DanHoug wrote:
Highly recommended, just don't expect a pristine shop and Krups machine.

Ages ago I went there with a former friend who needed Cabriolet parts. Affordable German is in a part of town I call "junkyard row"... yard after yard after yard down there.

Glad to hear the van is all fixed. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I picked up a used housing & installed new bearings, I keep it under the back seat

This was our solution as well. Plus carry the socket, breaker and high lift handle to get the nut off. Feels pretty good to be couple thousand miles from home and know that won’t be a game stopper.

E1 wrote:
Veddy intedesting……

Our rears have Zerk fittings just for this purpose… perhaps I should use them.

I installed zerks on a set of carrier several years ago. Be careful with those. Just one too many pumps and the grease will push that outer seal out of the carrier. Ask me how I know…. On my current rebuilt carriers I did not drill and tap zerks in them.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Thanks.

With that news, I’m not touching them.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Dan,
Glad it all worked out. When I did mine on the road, it obviously didn't work well. I was at a camp spot and had time. I was going to go the route tjet did and carry a housing assembly all packed, but noticed I needed rear bearings and... Affordable German is doing it, along with some other work. I drove it down from Flagstaff over 2 hours. Dan and Bill are awesome. They are also sponsors of Van Alert.
I hope I won't need rear bearings for a really long time after this.
Great catching up with you. Looks like we will be heading to MN this summer mid-July.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
khughes wrote:

Ditto. It's on the opposite side of town for me, which is why my van hasn't been there... yet.

Yeah, I'm around Shea and the 51, so not just a hop, skip, and a jump from here. I do most my own work, so I haven't used them much in recent years. But, as I age...
khughes wrote:
And I can't believe Doug hit the true rush hour coming down I-17, he didn't use one single curse word! He'd still be cursing if he'd hit when it was BAD. Brick wall

kamzcab86 wrote:

Regardless, it's not just 17. Every freeway in and around Phoenix is a nightmare during rush hour. Actually, surface streets aren't much better either. Mad

Well anything south of Sunset Point is pretty miserable, especially down around Bloody Basin. Just nuts. And that's before you get near town.
kamzcab86 wrote:
Ages ago I went there with a former friend who needed Cabriolet parts. Affordable German is in a part of town I call "junkyard row"... yard after yard after yard down there.Very Happy

It's absolutely Junkyard Row. Has been for decades. Blair and Sons is down there as well, and sometimes they'll have something that Bill doesn't have. Always worth a check.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
khughes wrote:

Yeah, I'm around Shea and the 51, so not just a hop, skip, and a jump from here. I do most my own work, so I haven't used them much in recent years. But, as I age...
khughes wrote:

kamzcab86 wrote:

Well anything south of Sunset Point is pretty miserable, especially down around Bloody Basin. Just nuts. And that's before you get near town.
kamzcab86 wrote:
Ages ago I went there with a former friend who needed Cabriolet parts. Affordable German is in a part of town I call "junkyard row"... yard after yard after yard down there.Very Happy

It's absolutely Junkyard Row. Has been for decades. Blair and Sons is down there as well, and sometimes they'll have something that Bill doesn't have. Always worth a check.

Blair and Sons is no longer operational.
Long drive for sure. I also do my own work, but took my van to Affordable German, because we were having a snowy winter when I was having issues and didn't want to work in my dirt driveway in the snow, cold and mud.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Ohhh awesome. This is exactly what I needed. This gives me a reason to buy a parts Vanagon.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
tjet wrote:

Ohhh awesome. This is exactly what I needed. This gives me a reason to buy a parts Vanagon.

Here you go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573533
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
tjet wrote:

Here you go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573533

That's not a bad deal! ^^^^^
Snag it!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I've been updating my spare parts and tools recently, focusing on the rear wheel bearing kit. Given its complexity, it's daunting to consider roadside repairs. However, is it feasible?

Key Points:

-Rear Axle Nut: Approximately torqued to 330ft/lbs. A suggested workaround is welding a 3/4" drive head to a high lift jack, using a 40/44mm socket.

-Dowel Pin: My experience involves heating to remove the original pin.

Would a garage be the only solution, especially if you have the parts and tools?

Or, in a scenario like being remote in Baja, could the pressing of the bearing be the deal-breaker for roadside repair?

I think it would be very feasable to do it if you had the necessary pipes approximetely 3-1/2' long to work as a breaker bar. One pipe being smaller diameter to slip inside the other to save storage space.
You would then need the big giant torque wrench to put it back on to 360 ft.lbs.

Or, to make life much easier buy a torque mulitplier to remove it and torque it back on with a smaller size torque wrench.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

You do not need a torque wrench. This is not a precision operation. It is torque to 360 ft lbs and then keep tightening until the castle nut splines line up. Do the math of your body weight on the breaker bar to get the initial set and then tighten further to line things up.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Having seen this done, i think removing the axle nut is the smallest, easiest factor in the job. Here’s what i saw:

- remove axle nut. SnapOn impact gun took it off fine.

- tried pulling wheel hub off of splines with two pry bars. No go. Bill then removed the driveshaft and drove the stub out of the hub and splined wheel mount with an impact hammer. Serious impact power used. Maybe a puller would have worked.

- removed inner circlip. This was maybe the most time consuming aspect as his myriad of snap ring tools couldn’t grasp the snap ring, working from inside the trailing arm opening. He walked away, came back and got it out. It was a bugger due to restricted acces…

- drove the outer bearing, spacer, and inner bearing out with SnapOn impact hammer. Again, serious impact force.

- drew the new bearings in with a large front axle tool used for Rabbit bearings. The bearings were playing Whack-A-Mole until a straight on bite was achieved and they were drawn in. Outer race pressure only so you MUST have the right size adapters.

- assembly of remaining circlip, seals, hubs, etc.

I’m a pretty handy guy and there’s no way i could have done this roadside. Carry a complete bearing set or a spare hub, check your bearings for tightness before you go, and plan on garage assistance if the bearings fail is my plan.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info, Dan!

So is this from Tjet what to carry after you lived it?

tjet wrote:

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
- removed inner circlip. This was maybe the most time consuming aspect as his myriad of snap ring tools couldn’t grasp the snap ring, working from inside the trailing arm opening. He walked away, came back and got it out. It was a bugger due to restricted acces…

- drove the outer bearing, spacer, and inner bearing out with SnapOn impact hammer. Again, serious impact force.

- drew the new bearings in with a large front axle tool used for Rabbit bearings. The bearings were playing Whack-A-Mole until a straight on bite was achieved and they were drawn in. Outer race pressure only so you MUST have the right size adapters.

- assembly of remaining circlip, seals, hubs, etc.

I’m a pretty handy guy and there’s no way i could have done this roadside. Carry a complete bearing set or a spare hub, check your bearings for tightness before you go, and plan on garage assistance if the bearings fail is my plan.

So he did all this work overhead on a lift, without unbolting the hub?
I guess not disturbing the brakes.

I’m surprised your hubs could be that tight at 225k miles.
Be happy for that!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Yeah, this was on a lift without any brake disassembly. It sure seemed like the way to go if the power tools are handy. Maybe replacing the complete hub is easier as a field repair. Anyone care to comment?

That thread involving TK, hub spacers, and voodoo had me freaked out to change the bearings. The OE hub spacer is super hard steel, complete with a VW part number. Bill said he’s never seen a bad one. Bill just moved the bearings together until the spacer stayed in position, put the circlip and seals in, stub, and did a final high torque with a strong impact wrench. Again, lots of experience behind that trigger but sure was simple.

With both rears properly done, this is probably a repair that parts don't need to be carried for. After i do my other side in a warm dry garage, i’m not carrying the parts for it. At least for a 100,000 miles anyway.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

I’m not surprised the mechanic had never seen one fail. I should have never been talked into replacing them on this van, per everyone I’ve talked about it with since.

Our first van went well over 350 on the originals, and was totaled with them in. For all I know it’s still rolling down a road with them somewhere.

Thanks to you and Bill, you’ve convinced me I needn’t carry a spare. Cool

— Colin Chapman
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Rear axle bearings were one of the first things I did on my current van. Bought it with 95K on it, and within the first 5K of ownership, the right rear started sounding like a chainsaw. I replaced both, just for grins, and 175K later both sides are fine. Not sure why one side failed "so quickly" but...
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Bill just moved the bearings together until the spacer stayed in position, put the circlip and seals in, stub, and did a final high torque with a strong impact wrench. .

Hopefully the outer bearing rollers were NOT touching the spacer to hold it in place. The inner race of the outer bearing is free floating.
When I rebuilt my rear hubs, the hub was packed with grease and the spacer stayed put on its own.

Sodo provides an excellent write up in this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776438
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

I bought new German INA/Shaeffler roller and FAG ballbearings.
Just by "feel" it seemed that my original 225k mi VW bearings were tighter than the new bearings.
I measured the slop and sure enough, the 225k mile bearings were a little tighter
so I put the 225k mile bearings back in.
With all new seals.
And put the "new" bearings back into the project pile.
See thread: Can 225k rear Wheel Bearings be better than "new"? (mine were!)

My hubs were a little loose though. I could slide the (inner) bearings in/out with my fingers.
I glued them in with Loctite 660®.
I guess we'll see if they are still glued in sometime down the road.
Now they have 235,000 miles.

I had needle-greased my rear bearings at 175,000 though,
using the 12,3,6,9 o'clock method which pushes out the old grease evenly.
So they had new grease for the last 50,000 miles.

Some feller with a 100k van could replace the grease in that manner and I bet the original bearings will last a LONG time.

Someone with a young van & pre-emptive tendencies could disassemble, clean & re-mount the (inner, ball) bearings with SKF LGAF 3E Anti-fretting agent on the contact area between the race and the bore.
LGAF 3E would prevent the erosion that 'deletes' the press-fit.
(------> trusting the experts at SKF Exclamation )
I don't think there's any way to know at what point (miles) this becomes ineffective (too late). But if your bearings still have 'press-fit' there's hope.
This could be done on "new" hubs too, if you're young enough to need 250,000 future miles.
The LGAF 3E elixir is described in the link above.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: