TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Electric vehicles are bad Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 183, 184, 185  Next
oprn Tue May 30, 2023 6:28 am

It would be interesting to find out if the whirly birds here have de-icing options. Possibly not as we are for the most part too cold and dry to need it. Hoar frost is our biggest threat on foggy days, sometimes takes the power lines down. Actual icing happens mostly right around the freezing mark in high humidity.

I did meet one of the fellows who looked after the closest wind farm to us but I cannot ask him now as he is no longer with us. Lost him in a traffic fatality unfortunately. No it wasn't in his Tesla, it was in a fire/rescue truck trying to help some idiot that didn't have the common sense to stay home in bad weather!

Bonesberg55 Tue May 30, 2023 8:07 am

We have a lot of wind farms in rural Illinois. The thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago driving thru some of them was how dirty they were. The dust from farming coats the head & blades because the oil leakage attracts dirt and it sticks. Very attractive.

finster Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:17 am

they're joking, right...?
https://newatlas.com/energy/powerx-battery-tanker/...A4wqU0n7C4

oprn Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:51 am

finster wrote: they're joking, right...?
https://newatlas.com/energy/powerx-battery-tanker/...A4wqU0n7C4
:lol: :lol: :lol:

oprn Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:54 am

Bonesberg55 wrote: We have a lot of wind farms in rural Illinois. The thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago driving thru some of them was how dirty they were. The dust from farming coats the head & blades because the oil leakage attracts dirt and it sticks. Very attractive.
Let me guess... someone opted for the cheaper ones from China... right? Non of the ones around here have done that! Pictures please.

Bonesberg55 Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:40 am

oprn wrote: Bonesberg55 wrote: We have a lot of wind farms in rural Illinois. The thing I noticed a couple of weeks ago driving thru some of them was how dirty they were. The dust from farming coats the head & blades because the oil leakage attracts dirt and it sticks. Very attractive.
Let me guess... someone opted for the cheaper ones from China... right? Non of the ones around here have done that! Pictures please.

No pictures! "Trust me, I know what I'm doing". Obviously, the seals were made in China.

Blowing snow is not the same as blowing dirt. :lol:

steve244 Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:03 am

...now the cost of ownership of a Model 3 is becoming less than a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla in most markets.

source

heimlich Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:13 am

When you run out of electricity on the side of the road what happens?

kpf Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:55 am

steve244 wrote: ...now the cost of ownership of a Model 3 is becoming less than a Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla in most markets.

source
Sorry. That article explains absolutely nothing about cost of ownership. The phrase you quoted is there, but its completely out of place in that article and completely unsubstantiated.

steve244 Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:17 am

Agreed. It's the purchase price.

Cost of ownership is much less than a Corolla.

Abscate Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:16 pm

heimlich wrote: When you run out of electricity on the side of the road what happens?

What happens now when you run out gas?

Same thing.

heimlich Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:34 pm

Abscate wrote: heimlich wrote: When you run out of electricity on the side of the road what happens?

What happens now when you run out gas?

Same thing.

Someone brings you a spare battery? Has a company started that?

Q-Dog Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:19 pm

heimlich wrote: Abscate wrote: heimlich wrote: When you run out of electricity on the side of the road what happens?

What happens now when you run out gas?

Same thing.

Someone brings you a spare battery? Has a company started that?

AAA started a service where they would send a truck to charge your EV if you ran short. They got rid of the trucks because they weren't used.
\_ (ツ)_/ Maybe they will tow you to the nearest charger?

Jon Schmid Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:57 pm

Abscate wrote: heimlich wrote: When you run out of electricity on the side of the road what happens?

What happens now when you run out gas?

Same thing.

Flip my petcock onto Reserve and go on my merry way...

Abscate Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:01 pm

Running an EV out of juice should be a base test to turn in your license for dumbphookery

Running out of gas a close second

Xevin Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:31 pm

Abscate wrote: Running an EV out of juice should be a base test to turn in your license for dumbphookery

Running out of gas a close second

Running out of fuel is the number two reason for a AAA call. Number one is a dead battery or battery issue ( different battery issues then EV cars)

It will be interesting to see what new or unique to EV car breakdowns happen frequently when there are millions and millions of EV cars on the road.

https://mwg.aaa.com/via/car/most-common-roadside-emergencies

Abscate Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:29 am

They will be flatbed off the road like ICE. The parrots will bleat that EV will be too heavy to flatbed because they be stupid

oprn Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:25 am

steve244 wrote: Cost of ownership is much less than a Corolla.
Only to those that refuse to admit that battery replacement, like tires and brakes are part of maintenance costs!

Or maybe we are getting to the point now that the new cars now expire before the tires and brakes do?

On the tow truck issue, it will be exactly the same people that run out of battery power that used to run out of gas. It's not the car's fault the driver is stupid!

oprn Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:43 am

Bonesberg55 wrote: Blowing snow is not the same as blowing dirt. :lol:
Good one! :lol:

Here is a picture of the "blowing snow" I drive through with the Jetta a week or so ago!


finster Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:57 am

apparently there's going to be a shortage of silver - they should tap the landed gentry, they've always got shed loads of old silver gravy boats and stuff lying about.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65602519



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group