Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New front heater core, $50.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: New front heater core, $50. Reply with quote

Warning:
This thread contains disturbing images of non-stock parts that will fit in a German vehicle. Those who are sensitive to not "doing it right" or who are repelled by "not having enough money to do it right" should look away...

1990 Ford Probe heater core, $50. new.
Part number 398008
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dimensions and specs-
http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.jsp?ID=aEz1rACw.Pn12LlN9CU8KfG1AG1V_D1QJXz0A
I tried for an hour to get pictures of my own into the gallery of how I made it work in my heater box, but to no avail. I'll try again tomorrow.
The other thing needed to make it work is a Z shaped molded hose from Advance Auto, #300123. Makes both hose ends come out of the right place on the box. The breadth and thickness of this core is good, it fits right down in there but it is not as long as stock. I blocked the unfilled spaces on the tank ends of the new core with rigid foam wrapped in aluminum tape.
If I had the $ to buy one of the custom made beauties, I would. But I don't. Just my way of getting by...
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good and good price, but it needs to be twice as long, maybe solder two together?
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you block off the unfilled space on the tank ends, ALL of the air will go thru the core, and centered in the box it is right over the fan. I am not concerned with efficiency. This is about getting the basics; defroster, heat, and no kidney damage from coolant fumes.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
Once you block off the unfilled space on the tank ends, ALL of the air will go thru the core, and centered in the box it is right over the fan. I am not concerned with efficiency. This is about getting the basics; defroster, heat, and no kidney damage from coolant fumes.

Vanagonner,

Thanks for sharing that, it is very much appreciated. My heater puts out way too much heat so a slightly smaller core is a good thing in my view.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New front heater core, $50. Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
Warning:
This thread contains disturbing images of non-stock parts that will fit in a German vehicle. Those who are sensitive to not "doing it right" or who are repelled by "not having enough money to do it right" should look away...

1990 Ford Probe heater core, $50. new.
Part number 398008
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dimensions and specs-
http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.jsp?ID=aEz1rACw.Pn12LlN9CU8KfG1AG1V_D1QJXz0A
I tried for an hour to get pictures of my own into the gallery of how I made it work in my heater box, but to no avail. I'll try again tomorrow.
The other thing needed to make it work is a Z shaped molded hose from Advance Auto, #300123. Makes both hose ends come out of the right place on the box. The breadth and thickness of this core is good, it fits right down in there but it is not as long as stock. I blocked the unfilled spaces on the tank ends of the new core with rigid foam wrapped in aluminum tape.
If I had the $ to buy one of the custom made beauties, I would. But I don't. Just my way of getting by...

You rock dude

My hero. I am always proud of anyone (and myself when I do) who improvises and prevails.
Congratulations !!! Very Happy Very Happy

Could you perhaps elaborate on that Z hose set up and perhaps post pictures of the setup?

Just in case here someone owns an Austin 3000, Aston DB5 and perhaps TR3/4 you can replace the leaking PITA oil filter assembly with a spin on by using the filter to block neck found on Mazda RX3 1973. I used to buy them at the local Pig a Part for a buck a piece.

Thanks again

Jolly good show

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is a link to the pictures I have of the project-
http://picasaweb.google.com/crimsonbrassbone/DadsHeaterCorePics?feat=email#
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I'm in need of a new front heater core as well, but broke as Sh!%$ too. Time to go find me one of those replacements you've got there.

How did you block off the airflow so it only went through the new core? I didn't see any of that in your pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photo gallery it is the lower left pic. The shiny silver on either side of the core is rigid styrofoam wrapped with aluminum duct tape, and taped into the heater box with the same high-temp aluminum tape (from the HVAC isle in home depot). Since it is half the length of the original, I could have gotten two of them and installed them back-to-back, drilling holes in the heater box for the in/out tubes and run hoses around to flow thru both of them. I'm trying it this way for now, with the block-offs and one core.
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI The other changes I'm making to the "climate system" are to simplify it.
I only want three things from my heater- Fan control, temp control, and up and down. So I disabled two of the flappers- the one to the back is now closed, the one to the heater core is always open. I removed the upper flappers to intake warmer cabin air into the box from the side holes (recirc) and blocked 75% of the fresh intake area- so I'll still have a mixture of fresh air all of the time but not a giant scoop from the outside anymore. That's what windows are for...
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, is someone gonna open a can o' whoopass on you! :

"You can't do that! Why, it'll... it'll....it'll.........it'll work!"

Good find, and nice job. Fifty bucks is what a heater core is supposed to cost! You'll get all the heat out of that you need, no problem.

Love the disclaimer at the beginning. Can I borrow that for my sig line?

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's like I'd just hauled an elk back to camp or something. Very Happy
Tencent, you are welcome to it!
Thanks for all the kind words, everybody.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well while you're at it, throw me one'a them elk steaks. Man, that stuff is good!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagoneer -- fantastic post!

I think we've all been looking for exactly this for a while. there have been a few posts regarding heater core compatibility.

How did you find that this heater core would fit? Was it trial and error or did you find a search engine where you could enter dimensions? (I tried and failed to find such a search engine).

Please let us know how the heater output is once you get it all back together. I suspect it will be just as good if not better than the original.

I also commend you for going against the thesamba flow. There often seems to be negativity and flames for these types of posts and I think you deserve accolades for your ingenuity.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it by going into an autoparts store when they weren't too busy, and they let me look at their catalogue with pictures and dimensions. I was looking for 2 of the three dimensions to be correct, the breadth and thickness; I considered the length to be ok as a variable. I also looked for the tubes to both come out of one end straight. I went home with part numbers from ones that had potential and did internet searches to see what cars they were for, and narrowed it down to this one for price and availability. I also had a very patent older guy who ran number after number at the counter to help me narrow it down at the store. Some of the cores that might have worked were either NLA or $100.
Some things cannot be cross-fit to make things work- like a windshield. But a heater core is something you don't even see ; what difference does it make to have it original (except for exact restorations or concours show cars)? I am not down on nice restorations, but I am glad that there is room on this board for owners of all kinds including those of us keeping the daily driver alive on a tight budget.
I'll let you know how it works.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:

Some things cannot be cross-fit to make things work- like a windshield. But a heater core is something you don't even see ; what difference does it make to have it original (except for exact restorations or concours show cars)? I am not down on nice restorations, but I am glad that there is room on this board for owners of all kinds including those of us keeping the daily driver alive on a tight budget.
I'll let you know how it works.

I agree completely. Finding closely interchangeable (or not) items and making them fit to save money or work better is the fun of having these vans.

The funny thing is that even the nicest looking "restored" vanagon at a show is NEVER going to get dinged for an "incorrect" heater core... the only person who will ever about it is the owner (or IF it ever needs to be replaced)...and apparently it bothers those people enough to yell at the rest of us when we put ford parts in our vans.... maybe they should be driving vintage mustangs instead of vw vans.

I don't mind having an illegitimate syncro westy with a non vw motor. It does everything that the $90,000 show version does and more at a fraction of the cost.

I know I might be overstating this a bit here, I may be venting from previous samba naysayers' posts in the past. I apologies for that, but I'm sure the good spirited samba members know what I mean.

Posts like this one deserve encouragement!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great to find work arounds when parts are NLA. This heater core is a great replacement part for something you can no longer find. I only object when people try to remove a function or fix it with tape and gum when the fix with stock parts is only $50 to start with. If the parts are available and reasonable, do it right. If not, I love the ingenuity found here by others! It's a great resource. The replacement headlight adjuster is another one. Great work!
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is great! Nice work, and thanks for sharing.
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running my daily driver van front heater strictly with recirculated air by using a blockoff plate across the opening where the heater box attaches to the body. Recirculated cabin air enters via the openings in the housing that went to the side dash outlets. I made aluminum tubes that route the air in and to the fan motor. When I have more time and enough room to get the van in my garage I plan on making cable controlled doors in the block off plate so that I can control the amount of air entering from there rather than just having all or nothing. The recirculated air system works but I believe that it is too restrictive as the side ducts are much smaller than the original outside air intake. Plan "B" is to just make a couple openings in the blockoff plate allowing some air to pass but much less than originally designed. My goal is to increase the cabin temperature on cold mornings as it takes too long to get the interior warm on subzero days.

Vanagonner wrote:
FYI The other changes I'm making to the "climate system" are to simplify it.
I only want three things from my heater- Fan control, temp control, and up and down. So I disabled two of the flappers- the one to the back is now closed, the one to the heater core is always open. I removed the upper flappers to intake warmer cabin air into the box from the side holes (recirc) and blocked 75% of the fresh intake area- so I'll still have a mixture of fresh air all of the time but not a giant scoop from the outside anymore. That's what windows are for...

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

Posts like this one deserve encouragement!

I agree 100%!!! Nice job!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: