Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed shocks ordered from the FLAPS for the rear of my '78 just a few weeks earlier than when this thread appeared.

I had to jack up the bearing housing to attach the shock because they were too short, and I too thought this seemed odd. I must not have broken them internally yet, because the spring plate does not contact the stop with the bus lifted.

I've decided to get the "Chevy" shocks mentioned in the thread, and indeed the inserts are too long to thread in the bolts.

Could I just cut the inserts a bit, or do I need to go buy new bolts?

Is one much more preferable than another?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I installed shocks ordered from the FLAPS for the rear of my '78 just a few weeks earlier than when this thread appeared.

I had to jack up the bearing housing to attach the shock because they were too short, and I too thought this seemed odd. I must not have broken them internally yet, because the spring plate does not contact the stop with the bus lifted.

I've decided to get the "Chevy" shocks mentioned in the thread, and indeed the inserts are too long to thread in the bolts.

Could I just cut the inserts a bit, or do I need to go buy new bolts?

Is one much more preferable than another?

I would shorten the inserts.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inserts extend out of the rubber bushing about 10 mm on either side. So I just cut one of them off on each end flush with the bushing.

Here is something weird, though. On the passenger side, the shock, fully extended, reached just a couple mm past where the bolt would easily pass through on the lower mount. So I had to compress the shock slightly to get the bolt in.

On the driver side, the shock, fully extended, is roughly the same amount short! So I might have to jack the lower mount up a couple mm to bolt it up.

WTF is up with that? Is that enough to be worried about?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
The inserts extend out of the rubber bushing about 10 mm on either side. So I just cut one of them off on each end flush with the bushing.

Here is something weird, though. On the passenger side, the shock, fully extended, reached just a couple mm past where the bolt would easily pass through on the lower mount. So I had to compress the shock slightly to get the bolt in.

On the driver side, the shock, fully extended, is roughly the same amount short! So I might have to jack the lower mount up a couple mm to bolt it up.

WTF is up with that? Is that enough to be worried about?

I would say 2mm is not an issue. If you don't feel good about it switch the shocks.
When you remove them measure them fully extended and fully compressed.
Good Luck
Tcash
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short Reply with quote

Just in case anyone else runs across this thread... I just installed the KYB 344082 rear shocks on my 1974 and they were both a couple of mm too short. Easy enough to get on by jacking up the car a tiny bit though.

The metal part of the bushings were also too wide. They stick out from the main rubber sleeve by about a centimetre on each side making them about 1cm too wide, so I hack-sawed off one half on the top as well as the bottom. I'll report back if this causes any obvious issues.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Here's my 1st attempt at making some extenders. They are made from 1/8" square tubing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like what you've done here. Not surprisingly, I can't find anything online that will fit our application. Would you (or anyone else for that matter) be interested in making a pair for me? I need a 3" extension.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:
Just in case anyone else runs across this thread... I just installed the KYB 344082 rear shocks on my 1974 and they were both a couple of mm too short. Easy enough to get on by jacking up the car a tiny bit though.

The metal part of the bushings were also too wide. They stick out from the main rubber sleeve by about a centimetre on each side making them about 1cm too wide, so I hack-sawed off one half on the top as well as the bottom. I'll report back if this causes any obvious issues.

This is correct. The 344082 is a few mm too short, but not as bad as the 344045. I don't see how the 344045 is even recommended or sold as rear shocks for the type 2. Those are way too short for my '72.
I installed 344082 last night. The metal parts of the pushing are indeed bigger but that's easily fixed by either using his hack-saw method or simply changing the size of your bolts. I decided to change the bolt size. 120mm upper and 100mm lower. Perfect fit.

I'll report back with any issues.and upload pictures later today.
billo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short Reply with quote

Wish I'd seen this thread before buying shocks for my '76 Transporter. Net: even though the last post here was years ago, KYB has apparently not corrected their catalog and still lists the 344045 shocks as a fit for my year/model. They are, as before, too short by 1/2-3/4". Also, the sleeves provided in the kit for the bushings are too short by about 1/4" and don't go all the way through, so when bolting the shocks on, the bolt torque is on the rubber bushing, not on the steel sleeve. Bought these from an on-line outfit (will not mention name here in case it's a violation of this forum's policies), but they are simply pointing to the KYB catalog and suggesting I'm doing something wrong. They're reluctantly willing to take back the shocks IF I can package as original and IF I pay the shipping costs. Still leaves me with two useless sleeve kits, as I got them from another source (first was out of stock). Oh for the day of real, local auto parts stores with old guys who are actually familiar with cars/parts.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short Reply with quote

billo wrote:
Wish I'd seen this thread before buying shocks for my '76 Transporter. Net: even though the last post here was years ago, KYB has apparently not corrected their catalog and still lists the 344045 shocks as a fit for my year/model. They are, as before, too short by 1/2-3/4". Also, the sleeves provided in the kit for the bushings are too short by about 1/4" and don't go all the way through, so when bolting the shocks on, the bolt torque is on the rubber bushing, not on the steel sleeve. Bought these from an on-line outfit (will not mention name here in case it's a violation of this forum's policies), but they are simply pointing to the KYB catalog and suggesting I'm doing something wrong. They're reluctantly willing to take back the shocks IF I can package as original and IF I pay the shipping costs. Still leaves me with two useless sleeve kits, as I got them from another source (first was out of stock). Oh for the day of real, local auto parts stores with old guys who are actually familiar with cars/parts.

I recently bought a set of Bilsteins from the UK that were suposed to fit my 76 Westy but the rear shocks were about 1.25" short so like others in this thread, I made up shock extenders.

If the company won't allow you to return yours then you will need to make up/use spacers to take up the extra space to make it the same length as the rubber bushing width and make up or buy shock extenders.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
billo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah, really don't want to go through all that. Think I'll just get some Sachs brand replacements for the old ones that were on there, so I know they'll fit. Really bad that KYB doesn't just correct their catalog and stop showing their 344045 shocks as a fit.
billo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear KYB-KG5530 shocks too short Reply with quote

Update on this: customer support at KYB turned out to be very helpful. They suggested their KYB Excel-G 344090 shocks would have the same load/dampening capabilities and, more importantly, would be the right length. The 344090 shocks indeed proved to be exactly the same fully-extended length as the old Sachs shocks that had been on the bus and fit correctly, albeit still requiring the KYB sleeve kit. On the issue of the sleeves not going all the way through the rubber bushings (short by about 3-4mm), the KYB people said that's ok.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: