Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pressure tested cooling system tonight - question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Pressure tested cooling system tonight - question Reply with quote

So I pressure tested the cooling system tonight. Pumped it up to 14-15 psi. Good news - I didn't see the head stud leak I thought I might have. Bad news, I did have drips from two hoses. One I could tighten up and the drip went away. The other is the elbow tube that goes into the bottom of the thermostat housing. The hose clamp bolt is -impossible- to get to from the top or bottom due to the way it was installed. I hate to pull the whole assembly out to get to it right now - so here's the question - I have limited experience with this type of thing - how safe is it to leave it for now? Would this type of leak generally be a catastrophic and sudden type of failure or a just watch it closely and it will get progressively worse type of failure?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure tested cooling system tonight - question Reply with quote

GreenG wrote:
... The other is the elbow tube that goes into the bottom of the thermostat housing. The hose clamp bolt is -impossible- to get to from the top or bottom due to the way it was installed. ...

It's not impossible. You need the right tools and a left handed wife.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pressure tested cooling system tonight - question Reply with quote

GreenG wrote:
So I pressure tested the cooling system tonight. Pumped it up to 14-15 psi. Good news - I didn't see the head stud leak I thought I might have. Bad news, I did have drips from two hoses. One I could tighten up and the drip went away. The other is the elbow tube that goes into the bottom of the thermostat housing. The hose clamp bolt is -impossible- to get to from the top or bottom due to the way it was installed. I hate to pull the whole assembly out to get to it right now - so here's the question - I have limited experience with this type of thing - how safe is it to leave it for now? Would this type of leak generally be a catastrophic and sudden type of failure or a just watch it closely and it will get progressively worse type of failure?

well it kind of depends, if the leak if from a torn hose, or cracked plastic housing, then catastrophic failure is possible. if the hose clamp is just a little loose you still could have the hose blow off, specially if the parts get extra hot , say on a hot day under hard driving.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a good idea to post what year/engine/transmission you own. Someone here may say "Oh, yeah - lower the engine an inch on its mounts and its a straight shot with a nut driver from the front." Otherwise, you may get nothing. A pic would help also. I've always found a way even if it meant cracking a wrench in half and using one half only.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug .....
I agree 100%!

Put your unit specs in you signature line.

By searching I found he has an 88 Full Camper with what appears to be a 2.1 engine.

Dave

BTW, did you pop the Valve covers and look for weeping head nuts? Half of them are inside the valve covers.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: