Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

Besure that before opening the valve covers to clean dirt from above the cover. The valve covers are in a good place to be covered with road debris, the body above, the head, even the rubber engine bay seal can all be coated with dirt, grit, rocks.

It is good practice to wipe it down prior to opening the valve cover so as to prevent these debris from falling into the motor, contaminating the engine oil.

Plan ahead and hose things off well the day before to allow it to dry who wants to work under a wet car? Or use an air compressor to blow off fhe area, or a dampened rag to wipe. Pay close attention to any surface above the valve cover, particularly the parting line along the top edge of the cover and the head. Without an oil filter, once grit gets in, it will keep in circulation!!

Clean oil makes a Happy Bug.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

Very good idea, first time I saw this back in the late 70s I asked the old mechanic why he did this, his reply was "Because I want to keep my tools clean" but your point is just as valid. It's a good idea. Very Happy
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

That's a really good idea.

I always look on the edge inside the heads to see if there is anything left over. Even if I see oil I will mop it up.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

back when I worked at vw shop.. when one came in for a tune up.. it was normal to grab air hose with blower that has brake line on end bent.. and blow around the plugs after wires were removed and around valve covers and pretty much engine compartment to get dust and leaves..
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

This thought has a lot of sound judgement behind it. At the dealer or independent shop this would never happen. Only if the mechanic was to be diagnosing/repairing some mysterious leaks would this warrant cleaning. At the independent buggy shop when an off-road car would come in for service the drivetrain would get an appropriate cleaning.
Living in the city I would run a car thru the self-service wash to rid dirt/oil/etc prior to a service. It is always nice to work on a cleaner car/engine. Owners like this.
Bill.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

Something a lot of us do to prevent the infiltration of who knows what could get into the engine. I like the compressed air idea.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

If you can't work on a wet car you can work in most of the Northeast.

It's just the stuff from the tap, you know.
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment and Dirty Oil Reply with quote

Another spot that gets over looked is the generator/oil fill tube.
I was installing dual carbs and when I took the generator stand off I noticed the oil fill was caked with sludge.
Worried that this could come off when adding oil and going into the engine so I soaked it in carb cleaner.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: